Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Ballet4Boyz said:

Hummmph !!!  - will book time off next year, won't be popular with DS when I tell him either :wacko:

thankyou both :)

You need to for year 11. They dress up and sing a very sentimental song and most are in tears before the end -_-

• Like 1

Ahhhh, thanks Angel, good to know. You don't find these things out unless other parents share it. 

Sounds very emotional at end of year 11.

Blimey, I was bad enough when he left his last dance school, will need a family pack of Kleenex for that one :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Another quick question.

Open Evening on Tuesday 9th May - is this just for prospective students or can anyone go? Is it like the Open Morning in October? Only don't want to be re-arranging my classes if we're not allowed to go!

Open evening is for anyone wishing to attend. Parents of current pupil, prospective students and anyone interested. 

You get to watch class, speak to teachers and in my case now, listen to the beautiful voices of the music students ?

Edited by angel
Grammar ?
  • Like 2

I've said this a few times....I do so wish they would schedule key dates around an exeat/end/start of hols or school....with a journey time of 6-8 hours & petrol cost of a round trip around £120...not to mention the Costa takeaways :-) it is just not viable to attend all the things I'd love to go to & DD does get a little upset at thought of being the only one who has no parent there....I was guilt tripped into trekking up (with logistics of sorting out home front a trial too) last year & it was lovely but by no means necessary to be there....& not all other parents were there after all! I did love going out for the afternoon with DD....one thing I do think the kids could do to help alleviate worries is sort out going out together....I'm sure most parents if they live quite close & can attend would be more than happy to take out friend/s with their own children that afternoon - I know if I can make it up this year I will suggest this to DD....

• Like 4

I find the Living at the Hammond thread a fantastic help. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. A quick  question and someone comes back with an answer. Its like our own little mini google haha!! Thanks guys its helping us a lot ??

Edited by Dancing unicorn

For the first two years of dd's school career I was unable to attend any events on a Friday or Saturday at all as my work at the time was completely inflexible. 

I do agree that it would be nice to for parents attending some things to co-ordinate better.  I have tried a couple of times to see if there was anyone who would be 'left behind' but each time dd said there was no one who wished to come out with us after Prize Day.  One year a large group all went out together and she did feel a bit left out that year so I wanted to make sure no-one else felt that.   

I've had a flick through the current calendar and the only thing I can't see mentioned which might be useful for new students is Academic Exam Week (I had an email from my son's school yesterday about his exam week which reminded me).  Its usually the week after half term and they are expected to revise during half term.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I've said this a few times....I do so wish they would schedule key dates around an exeat/end/start of hols or school....with a journey time of 6-8 hours & petrol cost of a round trip around £120...not to mention the Costa takeaways :-) it is just not viable to attend all the things I'd love to go to & DD does get a little upset at thought of being the only one who has no parent there....I was guilt tripped into trekking up (with logistics of sorting out home front a trial too) last year & it was lovely but by no means necessary to be there....& not all other parents were there after all! I did love going out for the afternoon with DD....one thing I do think the kids could do to help alleviate worries is sort out going out together....I'm sure most parents if they live quite close & can attend would be more than happy to take out friend/s with their own children that afternoon - I know if I can make it up this year I will suggest this to DD....

Peanut68, I have spent the last 10 years feeling guilty about not being there for key events.  Musical DD has a wonderful houseparent who once rung me after a particularly memorable concert to tell me how brilliantly she had played.  I then burst into tears - fortunately she assured me that, as a mother she had been through exactly the same thing. 

They survive.  It is worse for us than then.  And it doesn't get any better - I now feel guilty that I have only seen my son dancing once this year as he is abroad and my finances just don't stretch to school fees, conservatoire auditions and trips abroad.  

Our solution,  they have been through a cycle of the school year, is to decide at the beginning of the year, which are the key events that she would really like us there for.  We generally identify 3.  These do change - one of my "reserved" days is for a concert she won't be in, as she has a scholarship to America for a month.  She got an opportunity that she wasn't expecting earlier in the year and I moved heaven and earth to be there.  But it puts a stake in the ground, and also encourages her to think about what the important events are.

Chin up!  

Meadowblythe

• Like 2

GillyM - to be fair to Hammond I don't think they're worse than any other school. I think you're just more isolated as a boarding parent. And yes this thread is fabulous.....

The Prize giving is an example - just listed in the dates but no indication of timing or whether parents go or what years it involved etc etc. We've never been at a school that had one...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

... well, I'd just like to say - wow !! 

How fast has this year gone ??only a few more weeks and our DS has finished his first year at the Hammond !!

A few bumps in the road (who doesn't have these when starting a new school ?? - even more so with being a boarder at age 11 :blink:) - but he's really found his feet & is loving the training !

He's changed - more  confident & independent, more aware of the needs of others & more appreciative of us and his sister .

The way his dancing, singing & acting skills have improved is so apparent even to us as parents with little knowledge & experience.

Speaking for us as a couple (and every parent will have different views & experiences) - nothing really could have prepared us for our child leaving for boarding school at 11. Despite being incredibly lucky to attend such a school & knowing now that he's happy & flourishing - the other side of the coin is that when the original dust & euphoria settles - the feeling of simply missing our child was all-consuming for all of us !!

Watching him dance and him feeling so happy & settled now at the school - for us is the tonic we needed as parents . 

Id like to thank all the parents/carers on the forum, but especially on this thread for the never-ending friendly support, information & guidance, all of which has really helped us through this last year.... ??????

and to all new Hammond parents/carers who may be reading this with worries & questions etc ahead of September - I'm sure all the lovely people on this thread will be more than happy to help. It's a lovely school, with fantastic teachers !! ?

• Like 19

How lovely Ballet4Boyz I'm reading your post with tears in my eyesI couldn't have said it better myself! 

We can't believe 2 schools could be so different! Our dd's confidence is growing week by week, we're not there yet, but the Hammond with all its staff, admin, academic, dance and especially the house parents are building that confidence back. Its going to take time but we know we're going to get there.

This thread is an absolute godsend - its so open for anyone to see which I think says alot about the school - its an open friendly and nurturing school with helful and friendly parents and pupils. 

To any new pupils joining this amazing school in September good luck you are going to be well looked after ??

• Like 9

Hammond & its students have often been looked down on by certain people at other schools in the past & to he quite honest we were a bit nervous when this time last year we heard there was going to be a small influx of new students joining my dd's Year from one or two of these other schools. 

I need not have worried, everyone integrated really well & it's lovely to read posts like the above. 

• Like 5

Couldn't agree with you more Ballet4Boyz, our dd joined last september in yr9 and with the amazing support and kindness from all staff at school and the boarding house our dd has blossomed beyond our expectations and more importantly she is happier than even. You are spot on about how it feels to have them away boarding, we never expected to miss her quite so much and the affect it would have on her younger sister who is actually still learning to cope without her older sibling around.

• Like 4

As another of the 'new' parents I would echo the above. Our dd has been nurtured in a way we didn't dare to hope for tbh.

I think this thread is incredibly valuable and demonstates an openness not always found in this industry.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 6

Yes, you're so right Boogalou - we underestimated the affect not only on ourselves but more so on our 9yr old daughter. Bless her - she has steadily learnt how to cope but still finds it hard. This is balanced by how proud she is when she watches him dance.

Yes, Pictures, I agree, the people who  occasionally look down on the Hammond - more than likely will be unaware of the high standard of training given in all genres including classical ballet & the talent of the students being nurtured in a friendly, encouraging environment.  The students I feel benefit from this approach. Our DS feels the training is constantly challenging & pushing him to improve ......but in a nice way !!?

• Like 4