Concerns about vocational school

Piepie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elmhurst this year is doing iGCSEs in Maths Double Science English Language and Literature and Geography , the other subjects are standard GCSEs.The school therefore does not feature in the GCSE statistics.

• Like 1

Piepie

I agree with a lot that has been posted.

My DD went to a vocational school from Y7. Although she had an MDS we struggled throughout to afford it. She was bright and we had concerns throughout her time at the school with regard to the academics. A concern shared by a number of the other parents.

If you are convinced that she wants to be a dancer, and she has the ability, then you will probably find the money somehow.

My daughter did no go on to be a professional dancer so there have been some “what if?” conversations, but I am sure taking all things into consideration that she has no regrets.  She managed to reintegrate back into mainstream school in 6th form without any significant issues.

If my daughter had gone to a local school I am convinced that she would have had better GSCE grades. This probably narrowed some of her options when deciding degree courses. But if she had not taken up the option to go to a vocational dance school then we probably still would have wondered “what if?” at times!

Good luck to you and your child whatever choice you make.

• Like 10

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread, it has been really helpful.  I think we are going to research our options of returning dc here, present them with these options saying either it's this year or next.  I really like the thought that these years haven't been wasted, that they have provided a good grounding in dance and we can use this to build on.  I do believe that dc will rise to the challenge, and if they want to dance, then we will do everything we can to support that whilst also keeping other doors open, rather than leaving them at that school and starting to feel that the cons are seriously outweighing the pros.  Regretting not having got them into a summer school now!  

Really grateful for all the support, it's such a hard thing to talk about with other people who don't understand. 

xx

• Like 13

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If it helps at all, and I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but as a parent myself I think its only fair to be realistic. There are so very few jobs in a good ballet company!!

I can't stress how important her GCSE results are. Unless they are the top end in their vocational class then the likely hood of good work is so slim right now. Not enough funding for other companies, visa issues to work elsewhere and no one moving on as there just aren't any jobs - its not a great scenario that needs a really good plan B.

I teach talented graduates weekly at pineapple, they are so deserving of work, i use all my contacts and yet the jobs just aren't there. Thats the truth of it. Possibly if you want a good classical job then looking overseas to train is the best option!

Somehwhere like Tring has fab classical training but also covers the other genres more thoroughly leaving greater opportunities for work.

ALSO there are so many ways now to achieve the same level of vocational training outside of these schools..........but yes under one roof is always easier as a parent!

• Like 5

Also some families may not have access to decent state schools and an MDS can be a way out. 

Ditto the needs of siblings or your employment may make accessing all the training tricky.

I think all dancing families whether their kids are vocational or serious non vocational are making compromises one way or another. The ideal balance is different for each family.

• Like 9