The line up for the  Bolshoi cinema broadcasts is as follows

16 October - The Golden Age

6 November - Bright Stream

18 December - Nutcracker

22 January - Sleeping Beauty 

5 February - Swan Lake

19 March - Contemporary Evening (Hans Van Manen (Frank Bridge Variation); Sol León & Paul Lightfoot (Short Time Together); Alexei Ratmansky (Russian Seasons))

9 April - A Hero of Our Time

Furtehr info http://www.pathelive.com/programme/the-bolshoi-ballet#programme

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The trailer reminds me of the ballet segment in the annual Vienna New Year's Concert. If they can attract people who haven't been to the ballet before, so much the better! Perhaps they will be inspired to go and see it live.

I was chatting to one of the people who works at the DanceXchange last night and he said that this year there have been more people doing adult ballet classes than ever. I can confirm that classes have been larger this year. Around now, numbers start to drop off but there are still 10-15 in class and new people are coming every week. I've never known new starters this late in the term. The chap said that beginners street dance was more popular than every too. This can only be a good thing.

I don't know why I find re-broadcasts different (and less desirable) than live broadcasts, but I do. Completely irrational.

We've had a couple of people join our class (which has hovered around 15 people too, about 50% more than two years ago) in the last few weeks too. We did get coverage in the Irish Daily Mail recently, which might explain it, but it's really late in the term. Maybe people are tiring of the gym thing and looking for something more interesting to do. 

• 4 months later...

Well, yes, if you're based close to a venue. If you have to fly to see top class live ballet then it's amzingly cheap. (And if you're going to fly, might as well pay for a decent seat so the prices rises quickly!)

Edited by Colman

They are also streaming the show on their official video stream according to their facebook posts (in Russian) I guess as usual, if you are in Russia.

The online stream is working very well. FYI.

Facebook post translation:

The "Golden age" - live!

In half an hour on the official channel of the bolshoi theater will begin live webcast of the ballet "the golden age"!

From setting yuri grigorovicha to music by Dmitri Shostakovich is breathtaking: fascinating story, the original choreography, accurately transmitted by the spirit of the age. Here is all over the place: passionate tango and liricheskim duetam, confessions in love and cruel skhvatkam!

Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy the ballet of the stars of the big ballet performance.

go to the channel for the link http://media.bolshoi.ru/play/

Register or enter the login and password, if you already have an account.

Select a section on "channels" in the menu in the upper left corner.

Tune in to the broadcast and dive into the atmosphere of the 1920's, together with our heroes!

The composition of the performers and a brief summary: http://www.bolshoi.ru/performances/2001/

Live at videokanale is available only in the territory of Russia. At the end of the live audio recording of the show will be available for viewing for 24 hours.

• 5 months later...

There's a live transmission of A Contemporary Evening tomorrow. When I've clicked on cinemas through the 'bolshoiballetcinema' website, they are showing a Triple Bill of van Manen/Leon Lightfoot/Ratmansky.

I went to the Bolshoi Theatre website to look at casting. There the Triple Bill is shown as Jerome Robbins 'The Cage', Lander's 'Etudes' and Ratmansky. Not exactly contemporary, apart from Ratmansky's 'Russian Seasons'. I assume we should take the Bolshoi's website as definitive.

I'm tempted to go, if only to see how Russians "speak Danish" in Etudes and the Ratmansky is probably worth a look.

Does anyone know if the Bolshoi is also making it available online as they did with their live "Sleeping Beauty"? 

There's a live transmission of A Contemporary Evening tomorrow. When I've clicked on cinemas through the 'bolshoiballetcinema' website, they are showing a Triple Bill of van Manen/Leon Lightfoot/Ratmansky.

I went to the Bolshoi Theatre website to look at casting. There the Triple Bill is shown as Jerome Robbins 'The Cage', Lander's 'Etudes' and Ratmansky. Not exactly contemporary, apart from Ratmansky's 'Russian Seasons'. I assume we should take the Bolshoi's website as definitive.

I'm tempted to go, if only to see how Russians "speak Danish" in Etudes and the Ratmansky is probably worth a look.

Does anyone know if the Bolshoi is also making it available online as they did with their live "Sleeping Beauty"? 

The trailer can be found on youtube here: 

Well, their Facebook says that it will be streamed on their bolshoi.ru website to people 'In Russia' https://www.facebook.com/bolshoitheatre/posts/891435527665151

However some people here have said that they are able to access the footage from the UK directly. (without VPN)

• Like 3

The original plan, when the Bolshoi cinema season was announced, was to show van Manen's Frank Bridge Variations, Leon-Lightfoot's Short Time Together, and Ratmansky's Russian Seasons, all works choreographed between 2005-2012, and two of which just premiered at the Bolshoi in 2016.  The program was subsequently changed to substitute Etudes and The Cage, choreographed in 1948 and 1951, respectively, but both of which will premiere for the Bolshoi in the cinecast performance, for the first two of those works. (While the label "Contemporary" hardly applies to works choreographed in the mid-20th century, it was nevertheless retained.)

Everyone's taste is different, of course--as has been abundantly clear in recent threads--but, while The Cage is one of my least favorite Robbins ballets, I think the program is definitely worth seeing.  I'm very curious to see how the company does in Etudes, particularly after dancing Grigorovich for two months, and I think Russian Seasons is very beautiful, and in most of the performances I have seen, I prefer the Bolshoi's rendition to that of NYC Ballet, on whom it was choreographed.

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 2

Krysanova will appear in "The Cage".

Saissons Russes :

Yulia Stepanova et Vladislav Lantratov (Couple en jaune et blanc)

Ekaterina Krysanova et Denis Savin (Couple en rouge)

Anna Nikulina et Anton Savichev (Couple en vert)

Anna Okuneva et Dmitry Dorokhov (Couple en bleu)

Victoria Litvinova et Arthur Mkrtchyan (Couple en violet)

Victoria Yakusheva et Mikhail Kochan (Couple en bordeaux)

• Like 3

Golly, hard to keep up.

Not so sure I fancy The Cage, has anyone seen it?

No, but the Bolshoi website gives a running time of 14 minutes so it's far from a "main course". The link to the trailer on swissballetfan's post might give you an insight.

I'll be going for Etudes and Ratmansky. Glad that Chudin is in Etudes: he impressed me a lot when the Bolshoi came to London last year and on youtube since then. 

• Like 1

Golly, hard to keep up.

Golly, hard to keep up.

BRB did The Cage not long after David Bintley took over. I am pretty sure it starred Joe Cipolla and Leticia Miller. It was very short and very intense but so dimly lit most of the audience couldn't see it. My Mother asked about it and DB said the lighting was as specified by the Robbins estate and there was absolutely nothing they could do to change it. Edited by Two Pigeons

You might get a better view of it at the live screening then, Two Pigeons! But Etudes looks the greater treat for me.

i am looking forward to this afternoon,  and there are plenty of seats left by the look  of it.

i always block book live screenings for the year and I don't think I have ever not enjoyed one - next year's offering should be along soon-anyone know when?