Confused and questions

Flowerpot

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and to the world of ballet.

My dd is just 7 and started ballet in January. Her teacher keeps telling me that she has not had a student for years and years showing as much potential. One of the other dance mums was telling me about RBS associates scheme and that I should consider it for next year. Another mum then said but ... ( my dd ) has the wrong body type for RBS. What do you think she means? My dd is very petite, do you think she thinks she is too small? She also said you can't tell if someone has potential at her age as real ballet doesn't start until around age 8/10 and she is just doing movements at this stage. She is doing primary and grade 1 at the same time taking her first exam in June. I know it is just for fun at this age and if I asked her she would say she prefers gymnastics over ballet so is not that serious about it yet but would just like your opinions.

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome. My advice would be to listen to your dd's teacher who clearly has a lot of experience. My other piece of advice (if I'm allowed two) is to ignore negativity from other parents.

Well said mnemo.

The only way you'll ever know if she is what they are looking for is to go and audition, if it's something that both you and your little dd fancy trying. I would definitely not take the word of another parent for it, who knows where her negativity is coming from

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 2

Take the negative comments from other parents as jealousy and ignore every word! Listen to your teacher and keep away from mothers that clearly don't know what they are talking about. Anyone who knows anything would just listen and wait and let time tell the story.

• Like 4

RBS have always held 'be a JA for a day' a one day course to give children an insight to JA's. My daughter attended when she was 7 enjoyed the day so much she was keen to audition for a yr 4 place the following yr! She was very petite at 7 but very flexible & had lots of enthusiasm for dance, she was on the waiting list for a yr4 place, re auditioned the following year & got a yr 5 place! I'd def recommend auditioning it's a great day out & the audition is a lovely experience. Ignore the other mothers & listen to your dd teacher. Check the RBS website under associates for info on courses etc.

• Like 3

Ignore the Dance Mums (Annaliesey has some great advice on her thread!)

But ... at 7 you really can't tell what potential - good flexibility, musicality, enjoyment, athleticism, well-proportioned body - will turn into at 11 or 14 or 16. Best just to enjoy learning the wonderful art of dance, for its own sake. I'm nearer 60 than 50 and still do 2-3 ballet classes a week, for the sheer challenge & love of it. However good she is, however talented, she needs to love the work of ballet & then she'll have it for the rest of her life.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 5

Thanks for your comments and thoughts, I've had a good read around the site now and learnt a lot!

I realize we are at the beginning of a very long journey and will just go with the flow hoping she continues to love dance and be thankful in having a fantastic teacher who gives my dd lots of support and great teaching.

• Like 5