Daughter wants to do more dance. ..help please.

hoglett

My dd is desperate to do more dance but I don't know where to go to find more. She is in Year 7 and does about 7 hours of ballet, 2 of tap/jazz /open. She's going to audition for EYB . She's currently studying Rad grade 5 and intermediate foundation. What else should I be looking at for her? Thanks.

Edited by hoglett
  • Like 1

Hi Hoglett, have you thought about associate schemes? my dd is in a similar situation but only 1 hour RAD grade 4 ballet and tap hour Y 6, she will also be starting interfoundation in the next few weeks which is a hour and a half a week. We've been looking at associate classes for my dd for in y7, have found a few possibles in Birmingham, Warrington and Leeds, many of them have auditions coming up in the summer term and are on Sunday's. Northern ballet have an amazing CAT ballet scheme in Leeds, which dds dance teacher has highly recommended she apply for next year. Where are you based ?

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

Hello hoglett and welcome to the forum.

I will add the tags "youth ballet" and "associates" to your thread so when you click on the tags, a whole list of threads about those topics will appear for you to read through.

Are you within travelling distance of London? Many 11+ associate schemes are based in London but there are others around the country.

Hi Hoglett, have you thought about associate schemes? my dd is in a similar situation but only 1 hour RAD grade 4 ballet and tap hour Y 6, she will also be starting interfoundation in the next few weeks which is a hour and a half a week. We've been looking at associate classes for my dd for in y7, have found a few possibles in Birmingham, Warrington and Leeds, many of them have auditions coming up in the summer term and are on Sunday's. Northern ballet have an amazing CAT ballet scheme in Leeds, which dds dance teacher has highly recommended she apply for next year. Where are you based ?

Me too lol, well newish, I know how you feel. I picked up a card in a ballet shop in Birmingham for Nicholdon School of Dance and has a quick look at their website out of interest, and they run a fortnightly advanced two and a half hour ballet class for the more serious ballet student. Thought it would suit my dd, but not got round to enquiring whether or not it's open to outside students, but it looks really good and they are close to the train station. The Royal Ballet do an associate scheme in Birmingham too details of how to audition are on their website though auditions for next academic year are finished :-(

The Royal Ballet School has an associate programme in Birmingham, and the RAD offers associate classes and workshops from time to time as well. Elmhurst also has an associate programme, but I think that is only up to age 11.

There is also another associate programme called Midas, if you search on the forum, you will find threads about that one as well.

You might have missed the boat for auditions this year for associate programmes, but there could be some summer schools still accepting applications, and many places do one-off workshops as well. I think Birmingham Royal Ballet often runs some.

• Like 1

Hi Hoglett, if you are able to get to Stoke, there is an excellent associate scheme that you don't need to audition for. It runs monthly on Sunday's and is bookable month by month. The teacher is an ex ENB soloist so fantastic teaching. 'Staffordshire Youth Ballet' teaches near Stoke Football ground so easy to get to on A50 from Derby. You can find more info on their Facebook page. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Birmingham is a really good centre for ballet. Annette Nicholson is a wonderful teacher, so the advanced classes mentioned upthread would be worth thinking about. Her studio is maybe 10-15 mins walk from New Street Station. 

http://www.nicholsonschoolofdance.com/

The School  is also on Facebook. The extra classes are called "Progressing Ballet Technique"

Also, have a look at DanceXchange in the Birmingham Hippo - they run all sorts of classes, including some CAT schemes I think, and during the school holidays, there are a couple of outside hirers who organise classes. I think that's where the RAD Associates are held. And BRB do a fair bit of outreach work. 

http://www.dancexchange.org.uk/programmes/classes/

I think once you start attending some of these more professionally oriented schools (Ms Nicholson was a Soloist with the BRB) you'll get more guidance about ways forward for your daughter.

Edited by Kate_N

Thank you everybody. I genuinely appreciate your guidance. I'm going to have a chat to her current dance teacher just out of courtesy really and to get their opinion as to what would be best for her. The majority of what you've all mentioned though look like they will really compliment her current exam classes. Thank you.

• Like 3