Tring post from 2012 - viewpoints now appreciated

Dreamy11

As a parent with a child who has done 2 years at Tring lower school, I can honestly say the classical training is first rate. There won't be as many 'classical' dancers at Tring as Elmhurst and they also have a musical theatre stream (completely separate from dance) and not all on dance course wish to be ballet dancers. But the best classical dancers Tring produce rival those of RBS and Elmhurst. Evidenced by the fact each year a few Lower school students always get into Royal ballet upper school.

You have to try to decide which school suits your daughter in terms of personality. If she has the ability, grows correctly and applies herself she can reach the highest possible standard in ballet at Tring. She will also be a very versatile dancer, as her contemporary and jazz will be excellent too. Many dancers in our top classical companies have been taught by Tring (some exclusively, some for part of their training).

Your dd is a very fortunate girl to have the choice, please don't worry about the standard of dance as much as where will she thrive.

• Like 2

Well done to your dd! Has your dd been offered ️these places as a result of summer school, is that why you are now trying to decide? Does distance make any difference to you, the opportunity of an MDS at one of the schools, things to perhaps consider?

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your priceless advice I have taken it all into to consideration and I believe tring is the better place for her though she tells me Elmhurst but still not sure luckily she is incredible fortunate to have received an MDS for both and distance does not matter for us. This makes the decision better on a way but much harder as we have to make it ourselves entirely. One more question "do many of the Elmhurst students from year11 get taken on at some of the high level upset schools I.e RBS?

One thing that nobody has mentioned is the relative size of the schools.  Tring has the Dance (ballet) department alongside MT, Drama and also Music departments.  So it is a very large establishment.  Elmhurst, focussing on ballet is tiny in comparison.  Which sort of establishment would suit you better?

• Like 2

Oh, I hadn't thought of Tring being large. Due to my non Dancing child's senior school with 1,200 children. But it is a good point, there are approximately 250 kids at Tring all told and the split is different each year between dancers and musical theatre. You could always ring the schools to see how many are in year 7 dance course. Class sizes are small, but more people to know outside of dance lessons.

On a very positive note, as the OP is sitting on 2 MDS offers, one additional offer will be given to someone waiting in the wings very soon!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your priceless advice I have taken it all into to consideration and I believe tring is the better place for her though she tells me Elmhurst but still not sure luckily she is incredible fortunate to have received an MDS for both and distance does not matter for us. This makes the decision better on a way but much harder as we have to make it ourselves entirely. One more question "do many of the Elmhurst students from year11 get taken on at some of the high level upset schools I.e RBS?

Interesting question as Elmhurst is a high level Upper School ????. However 'yes' they do. Last year and this year places were offered at RBS, ENBS, Central and Rambert and Tring. You will have seen from other information that it has been the same for Tring. Ultimately the dance training is excellent in both schools. The environment differs for reasons mentioned, broader curriculum other genres, larger/smaller numbers, differing boarding environment, distance from home etc. I had two DD's at Elmhurst, one thrived, the other didn't, but a change of vocational school resulted in a much happier child. Both have/are entering top Upper Schools.

Get back to the schools, have discussions, work out where you feel which environment will be best for your child and also listen to what they feel. Most importantly if it isn't working don't be afraid to address... It's your precious DC, clearly very talented to be offered two MDS places.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

NL

Apologies should have mentioned edited as from my phone

Edited by Nana Lily
  • Like 3

To add to the discussion of differences between the two, Elmhurst is very much an "urban" school, with limited outside space, whereas Tring has enormous grounds.    Just living with ballet dancers adds to the "hothouse" environment, and you are in direct competition with your peers at all times.  However, it does mean everyone has the same passion as you.  Tring, by comparison, offers a wider range of students, and a wider range of opportunities.

Have you asked your child why they prefer Elmhurst?  

To second Nana Lily, I also had a child who thrived in one of the two environments, hated the other, and my regret is that I didn't make a change sooner.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

All of the above applies. You have to try and see where your child will be happiest. There are positives and negatives at all the schools, your child will thrive where they are happy. The training is excellent at both schools but the environments are different.