Tring post from 2012 - viewpoints now appreciated

Dreamy11

After reading an old thread I have to say I feel a little disheartened by some of the comments and would appreciate any more up to date experiences please. Many thanks.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1370-tring-park-school-please-help/page-1

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1370-tring-park-school-please-help/page-2

Edited by balletqueen
  • Like 1

Just bear in mind balletqueen that the thread you refer to had to be locked. If you click on the "Tring" tag I have added under the thread title, you will see a list of threads about Tring.

Bear in mind too that people may not want to identify themselves or their children by posting publicly about any school, not just Tring.

Hi Anna, I'm not sure the thread is locked anymore as I am able to read it. Since people have made these comments all I would like is some more up to date experiences as I know things can change over a few years. People do not have to name themselves, I am just interested to know if people feel differently now? Thanks

Yes, I think that's right, as far as I understand it. You can read but you can't add to that particular thread. Only in very exceptional circumstances, such as breaking the terms and conditions of this forum, are some individual posts hidden so they can't be read at all.

Edited by rowan
  • Like 1

Yes, when we lock a thread - usually because it has become unconstructive or has descended into a bit of a flame war - i.e. a full blown argument - it is still available to read but it is no longer open for further posts.

If posts or entire threads are hidden, it is because they have contravened our forum rules - or in accordance with legal obligations.

• Like 2

After reading an old thread I have to say I feel a little disheartened by some of the comments and would appreciate any more up to date experiences please. Many thanks.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1370-tring-park-school-please-help/page-1

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1370-tring-park-school-please-help/page-2

Have you decided whether to take the mds offer for Tring yet balletqueen?

Ok back to my original question, does anyone have any recent experiences that they are willing to share re the dance course? Surely everyone can find positive and negative things to find about all schools. Yes I agree it is not purely a ballet school but I believe they have had a great deal of success over the last few years . Many thanks

Edited by balletqueen
  • Like 1

Is your dd going into year 7?

My DC has been at Tring for the last 2 years. Started in 4th form. On dancers course. Has had an excellent 2 years, improved massively and had a wonderful time on balance. There are obviously things that are not always perfect, but that's true everywhere. The ballet is very strong for the lower school and over the last couple of years some children have chosen to carry on their classical training into the 6th form at RBS and ENBS.

I believe things change into 6th form, the diversity of training is excellent and there will naturally be fewer children choosing to stay who want to go into an exclusively classical career. However, over the last few years classical contracts have been given to students at both Scottish and Northern ballet. Ex Tring students (who did not go on to further training elsewhere) are dancing with; BRB, ENB, Scottish, Northern, Royal Danish ballet, Netherlands dance theatre, new adventures ..... And many more. Plenty of others have gone on to train in MT at urdang, birds, arts ed. Plenty of others have given up and gone on to train in other careers, as with every other vocational school in the land. No one can cross all the T's and dot all the I's, sometimes the needs of the child will change and the school chosen ends up no longer suiting.

There are absolutely no guarantees that any child whether at vocational school or not, will go on to make a career in dance, just because they work hard and 'really' want it really doesn't count for much. If it is their destiny it will happen if not, hopefully they will look back on their training and feel it has been a very positive, life affirming experience.

• Like 9

I have just returned from seeing the preview of Encore. The third year touring company. It was absolutely fantastic. Try to see one of their shows in the next 3weeks if you want to see the quality of dancers they are producing right now! My DD has had a wonderful 3years at Tring and has got involved in anything she could from helping teaching on Saturday to holiday courses. Everything is there for them if they grasp a hold and give it there all.

I would not hesitate to recommend the school. When my DD was ill they acted quickly and correctly.

PM me if I can help more.

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing, my dd is very much excited about the next chapter in her life. She is after the classical route and I am keen to see she is given excellent training. Of course I understand there are no guarantees. Was it sixth form they were referring to previously when they weren't given the choices they were expecting and grouped according to ability? If anyone wants to pm me Im happy to hear from you.

• Like 1

Having had 4 children go through training at Tring, I can only affirm what has been said above about the quality of training. The teaching is excellent . Their Young Dancers" Show is happening in the next couple of months. Go have a look to see what your dd would be doing.

The graduate show Encore is always worth seeing. The students are fab and they have work choreographed on them by top industry professionals.

Not only that, my dcs have made friends at Tring whom they still meet up with and support even though they have gone their separate ways.

Edited to correct typo :)

Edited by kiwimum6
  • Like 7

The auditions are run differently now. A few years ago there was just an audition and the panel decided which course you were best suited to. Now you will have auditioned for the dancers course or the theatre arts course. MDS are only given to the dancers course students not the TA students. Yes there is streaming within that but I think that's a good thing. Some of the girls are held back from pas de deux at 4th form if their point work is not strong enough and are given extra point lessons and extra strengthening - also a good thing both for the girls AND the boys! This is not a negative thing, but a developmental thing. The care of injuries at Tring is absolutely first rate - very careful rehab and no pressure to rush back in.

Some years will be more classical than others, just as in some academic schools you may have a stronger year than others in academic terms. At present the current 6.1 group are strong classically the current 6.3 group is strong in contemporary and jazz - and I'm sure with many variations in between! Things change, students change. The training is excellent and a child (and their parents) needs to learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Will the school suit everyone? No. Are there frustrations? Yes sometimes. Are the decisions made on behalf of your child always what you want? No. Does your child (and parent) have to suck it up and try again next time? Yes. Is that a pattern for life? Yes absolutely! If you are unhappy can you leave? Of course. Is this the same in every vocational school? Of course it is.

• Like 18

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply, I defintely feel more reassured!!! I was hoping to hear that things may have changed and it seems they have. Do the mds continue into 6th form if you are already on one? Thank you balletcoforum friends x

• Like 1

Great post, Harwel. :-)

Thanks Anna.

Some very lucky 5th forms are allowed to carry their MDS forward into upper school - again, those considered to be more classical. This is also told to you very early in the autumn term so you know where you stand.

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply, I defintely feel more reassured!!! I was hoping to hear that things may have changed and it seems they have. Do the mds continue into 6th form if you are already on one? Thank you balletcoforum friends x

The other question you might have to ask yourself balletqueen is, what are the alternatives? Has your dd had any other offers, such as other vocational schools, or associate schemes. If your dd wants to go as far as she can in dance, then Tring at this stage, will probably be a wonderful opportunity. It's good to see someone on the waiting list, getting selected too.

• Like 1

Take the place! My DS is so happy there.  True, decisions don't always go your way but your DD will receive an excellent education and a broad, balanced training in forms of dance that will make them employable young people.    

My DS recently didn't have a successful audition for a production because he wasn't the right size.  Yes, he was upset at the time but when he came home at Easter he told me he was enjoying getting some 1:1 time with his dance teachers as he was now the only boy left in the class!  Knocks come but they bounce back and opportunities such as the one you have been given come along rarely - embrace it and enjoy - we'll see you there?

• Like 4

As skippy sheep says, the academic education there is wonderful and their results speak for themselves. The dance training is also wonderful, especially in years 7 & 8 when there are often only 8-10 boys and girls in the class. The classes get a little larger in year 9 which makes it more crucial for the pupils to apply general correction as well as personal correction in ballet, but the vocational teachers are extremely good as well as kind and inspiring.

Tring may not turn out as many classical dancers as other top ballet schools, but this is mainly because some children who go there might want to be stong commercial or contemporary dancers, rather than ballet dancers. The strong classical training is there, which is evident in the successes of recent pupils going on to Upper School and ENB School.

My Dd is extremely happy there and is now coming to the end of her third year. As with any school there will always be frustrations, but on the whole the children are happy, the atmosphere is vibrant (thanks to having the wonderful Theatre Arts children walking around singing in harmony!) and I have found the experience to be well worth the one hour each way journey that we make to get there each day :)

Edited by atacrossroads
  • Like 2

The only advice I would give,with no knowledge of Tring whatsoever but just as a parent is to say to give it a go and if it doesn`t work out in some way or other you can always apply for somewhere else the next year. But if you don`t go,you may never know what you might be missing.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi

I am new to the forum and just wanted to ask some questions I have regarding Tring Park lower school. I have heard that it is a very good school,one of the few vocational school balancing the academics with the dance training.my DD has recently been offered both Tring and Elmhurst and is having trouble deciding as they are both amazing opportunities. she loves her ballet and would definitely consider a career in it though she also likes her other styles of dance; jazz, tap, contemporary and modern and I would like to keep her well rounded so she will have more job opportunities. I have also heard rumors that hardly any professional classical ballerinas come out of Tring and that the standard of ballet isn't anywhere near the level of ballet at Elmhurst. I wondered if anyone could tell me if these rumors are in any part true and give me a feel for the standard of ballet in the lower school at tring

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.xx

I don't know either school in detail so can't answer the question directly. I would look at which school you think will be best for your child. Including academics, variety of dancing etc. It wouldn't surprise me if more ballerinas are produced at Elmhurst but that may reflect who goes in as it is generally higher in the pecking order (although not sure if it remains as high in the order for US?) ie not necessarily reflective of the teaching quality. In general very few get classical contracts even at Elmhurst. And remember there are non classical students at Tring as well. I have heard grumbles about academic standards in the LS at Elmhurst.

That sounds negative towards Elmhurst - I don't mean to be but worth looking beyond the pecking order of each school.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

Although I have no personal knowledge of Tring I know some fabulous dancers who have trained there.

I think for lower school it's important to consider Everything. There is a lot of movement before going into upper school with dancers from Hammond & Tring LS going onto places like Royal, Elmhurst, ENB etc & also movement the other way.

The classical training I am told is first rate.

It sort of stands to reason that dancers from upper schools that concentrate pretty much solely on ballet (& have company connections) get a higher purely classical employment rate. Personally my dd would not be happy ina school where she could not do tap & jazz, other children may feel the other way round.