Hammond final

Lema

Hi just wondering if anyone attending the audition on Monday received and information on what the children need to wear and take with them, we received the schedule but there was no mention of what to wear?! I assume just the usual convertible tights, leotard, waist elastic, ballet shoes and hair in a bun...but do they need any dance trainers, jazz shoes, leggings etc for the other classes? Thank you :)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lema ......... Yes I was wondering the same for my DS. There definitely wasn't any mention of uniform requirements in the letter....so I've decided to send him with some joggers, jazz shorts and jazz shoes along with his normal ballet tights & leotard which he'll arrive in under-dressed. Maybe we shouldn't be too concerned as if they have strict thoughts on audition uniform, you'd think they would specify their requirements. I'm sure standard ballet uniform & appropriate dance wear for the creative movement/MT will be fine.

I've told my DS to just try & really enjoy this audition as its his last one and I'm attempting to lead by example and have the attitude - what will be - will be. We've organised new classes for him in the event of another 'no' and that seems to have really helped him. I think he was beginning to think his dance career was over before it's really even had chance to start !! These dancing children of ours !!!

Good Luck to your DD & everyone else xx

• Like 2

If in doubt - ring the school and ask!  Much better preparation than spending the weekend worrying.

Love the idea of organizing new classes in advance, my musical daughter has had all sorts of opportunities as a result of me planning for a no!  This year will be her third (and possibly final) attempt at a place in the CBSO Youth Orchestra.  She didn't want to do it again, but the thought of a day shopping and possible concerts in Symphony Hall made my case for me.  We are looking at the audition as an excuse for a meet up and a great lunch.

• Like 3

Last year there was a list it said something like.... Normal ballet stuff, jazz pants or tights for the creative ( though I think it really doesn't matter, DD said people had all sorts, I think she didn't even change) I think it was bare feet or jazz shoes, if you have them. I sent her with everything in her bag, just in case. Wear whatever he wore for the fist audition I would say.

• Like 1

If it's any help their own students tend to wear black tights over the top of their leotard/tights for jazz/modern & bare feet. Yhe boys do have unitards but I'm sure they don't need that for audition. They are supposed to have jazz shoes (not trainers) but few actually wear them. I guess auditionees will want to have something suitable on their feet for the musical theatre session.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies, I had assumed that if they had specific requirements they would have sent a list but I more worried that there had been a list sent out and we just hadn't received it! But looks like nobody got one so I shall just pack her usual kit, the same as for the prelims.

Dd is really looking forward to it, not high hopes, but we started out the season with the attitude that a funded year 8 place was going to be near impossible to secure so just go for the experience and a class in some of the top vocational schools in the uk and don't expect anything this year, and then if you do happen to get finals anywhere it's an added bonus. This attitude has took a lot of the pressure off us that we had felt for the year 7 auditions and meant we have just enjoyed the whole process a little more this year!! Best of luck to everyone attending on Monday and also to the year 9's and 10's who won't be there ???????????? and remember guys the end is finally in sight!! Lol :D

• Like 5

I have no idea how many funded places are available, however if you don't get an MDS remember that Hammond do sometimes offer very generous bursaries to those they like. My dd was in this exact position last year and is now at the school and loving every minute. Good luck to all those auditioning on Monday ????????

Edited by Eowyn
  • Like 1

Could anyone give me some information about hammond 16+ course,my dd is all classical, although she can sing,act and do other styles,but her heart has always been classical.

My question is will that be possible at hammond, and can anyone tell me the timetable for the first two years,

Stardancer, my DD is in 2nd year of professional dance diploma at Hammond. The first year is a common first year for both dance & musical theatre students. At the end of the first year, students meet with teachers and discuss which course they would like to proceed on for 2nd & 3rd years. My DD was wanted by the dance teachers and the musical theatre teachers but she's a dancer so there was never any doubt which one she'd choose! She still has singing and acting lessons but not as much as the musical theatre students (maybe just one lesson a week). The timetable can be variable depending on whether there are assessments looming or rehearsals for production but their days are long and full. They do ballet, jazz, tap, contemporary and there is time allocated for 2 A levels as well (my DD already had her A levels so did Zumba & Pilates during these lessons).

I would say just the ballet, as the mds is awarded for talent and potential in classical ballet. If it helps my DD has an mds at the Hammond and is definitely classical, not very good at musical theatre etc good at tap though and looks like a ballet dancer when doing modern. I think the school also has their own awards they can give for whatever they like. So more of them might go to all-rounders. There are some really good dancers with the school scholarship in my DDs year, some classical some more all rounders.

• Like 2

I agree with Snape. My dd is not particularly classical and didn't get an MDS. She is however an all rounder and enjoys singing and musical theatre as well (probably more so than ballet). Hammond must have recognised this during the audition as they awarded her a school scholarship instead. Good luck to you all. If it's anything like last year you shouldn't have to wait long for the results x

• Like 1

I think there are between 15 and 20 of the current yr 11 who currently have mds. I know this does not mean that the same number will be available for September and that they can be awarded to students in any year group, but thought those of you waiting may like to know. Good luck to everyone - I can still vividly remember the arrival of dd's 'yes' letter and she will be going into yr 11 in September!

• Like 1