Hammond final

Lema

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit late replying to Hammond as I was waiting for the paperwork to arrive from the other school, so I've just let them know this week that we won't be taking the spot offered.

I hope that opens a place for one of the talented children on here that has worked so hard. Good luck everyone! *\•/*

• Like 5

Oops ???? Yes not MDS, still don't understand all the terminology over there. And no not eligible.

Dd will be going to Elmhurst as it was her favourite. We were very impressed with all the schools we saw though and would have been happy at any of them. Elmhurst was dd's first choice though.

• Like 1

I've been reading this all day knowing that the letter was at home and I'm at work . My DD has also been awarded an MDS - I'm absolutely shocked after all the knock backs we have had . DD has been brilliant through this whole process and has kept going so to everyone on reserve keep going it will happen for you I'm sure xxx

• Like 21

Thank you everyone so much - your support on here is amazing . DD is beaming tonight , Boogalou I can sympathise as when my DD got a no from Elmhurst she was heartbroken. It's tough for them and they are still young but I'm sure she will see how amazing she has done to get to the final xxx

• Like 3

Big hugs to all the dd and ds' that didn't get the news they were hoping for today. They have all done so very well to get this far, and fingers crossed something comes up from the reserve list for them ????

• Like 2

My dd is very upset too and questioning herself a lot!! But we have always had a rule in our house and it's that your allowed a day to be upset and feel sorry for yourself and work through those emotions but then you brush yourself off, pick yourself up and move forward!! I think she, like me, is wondering how to move forward from this and what area she needs to improve on. That's the only trouble with the no feedback, it leaves it wide open for these youngsters to attack themselves over every little thing it could possibly be!! I think that a little feedback or guidance would be a positive thing especially from finals when there aren't the same numbers as in prelims.

My thoughts and virtual hugs are going out to all those with a "not for now" and I wish you all the best for the future, wherever that is and whatever you are doing!!

And huge massive congratulations to those with a yes, it's a real achievement and I hope your dc are very happy and successful in their new schools :) very exciting times ahead for you all (and very nerve wrecking for you dancing moms and dads no doubt!!)

I myself am now just looking forward to having a bit of breathing room and not worrying about results for a while lol :D

• Like 5

Big hugs to all DC's hearing news today - Remember to those who were not yet successful, take encouragement in the fact that you've been offered a place initially. This means you all have a lot to give, and that the school can see potential in you. I hope that the reserve list bears fruit for you all. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately with around 40 ish students being considered for MDS funding across 4 year groups I just don't think feedback is feasible as it would take just too much more time away from the teachers actual main jobs of teaching the students.

All of them were deserving of a place but ultimately there were only around 14 awards. The school acknowledges in my opinion the undoubted talent of all the remaining students by trying to offer school scholarships but sadly there just isn't enough money to go around.

• Like 2

I totally understand that it would be hard to give out feedback to 40 dc pictures and im sure that even if they did offer us a brief insight into what areas needed improvement we would probably still complain that it wasn't enough info!! I was only talking in an "ideal world" kind of way and saying that it would be nice and a positive thing if they were able to offer some sort of feedback :)

In terms of feedback, I don't know how much they'd say anyway. To be honest, if they liked your DC enough to offer them a place then they consider them good enough to be at the school, it's just that other students caught their eye more in the final auditions. It's just like a competition in that respect - all of the DC's are clearly very talented but some just stood out more on the day (or on the videos in the case of higher year groups). It might not be something that is easily conferred in 'feedback' as such but could be something anything such as expression or performance, or slightly different use of space, or confidence, or strength, or technique that is less challenging to work with (as in, fewer technical faults to deal with.... as children get older it's harder to re-train poor posture/weight placement - certainly not impossible but requires significant coaching and if a school has the choice of one child versus another it could be a deal-breaker). 

Please note - that list is just me thinking aloud here, certainly not saying any of this might actually be true, but I know that these can be factors when making decisions one way or another.  

• Like 4