JA Auditions

swanprincess

This happened to us Taxi and I think it's very poor form. My DS previous teacher only valued MT training or RBS. And if you defied her on either of these then she was very dismissive. One ex pupil of hers went to a vocational school (not one she approved of) and she apparently told this DC what a massive mistake they were making. This DC ended up in a very famous/renowned company in Germany and the teacher told me that this DC had wasted their talent as should have gone into MT and that they ended up in a 'tin pot' company in Europe - I was speechless at the time as I couldn't believe the vindictive small minded attitude. Not to mention she was completely wrong in her assessment. Very soon after, we found a fabulous teacher and I was very sorry We hadn't found her earlier. The attitude shift was miles apart and ds was able to build some confidence and ended up at Tring within the year.

• Like 3

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to the yesses and keep going SWL and nos. My dd got SWL first time round, then got in second go although was turned down for CBA, so they really are all different. If she had got in we would have only done 1. I realise there are people who do multiple associates, there is nothing to stop people doing that, but in my personal opinion (which I know is not a popular one) I think it's a shame when it's the same girls taking all the spots. Obviously they are very good and have what they are looking for, but there are so many talented children that get so close and want it just as much. Sorry to be controversial. Good luck to all and remember, doing an associates class is just an added bonus, it does not mean you can't make a career of dancing x

• Like 3

Well done to the yesses and keep going SWL and nos. My dd got SWL first time round, then got in second go although was turned down for CBA, so they really are all different. If she had got in we would have only done 1. I realise there are people who do multiple associates, there is nothing to stop people doing that, but in my personal opinion (which I know is not a popular one) I think it's a shame when it's the same girls taking all the spots. Obviously they are very good and have what they are looking for, but there are so many talented children that get so close and want it just as much. Sorry to be controversial. Good luck to all and remember, doing an associates class is just an added bonus, it does not mean you can't make a career of dancing x

I think thats a fair point and one worth considering.

• Like 1

So it must be 10 years since my DD received her first "no" from JAs, but I can clearly remember how awful it was telling her. Matters soon got even worse when we got a call saying that her best friend, who up until then she had done everything with had a "yes". So poor DD had to go through the misery of putting on a brave face in school assembly and at dance class when the announcement was made, as well as dealing with the internal conflict of being pleased for her friend and terribly upset for herself.A lot for an 8 year old to handle. So I can empathise with those DCs and parents who are feeling sad right now. But honestly, it's not the end of the world. Many roads lead to Rome, and harsh though it is, most of those paths are paved with "Nos" interspersed with the rather less frequent joyous "yesses". It is tough, but the nos have to be got used to and used as learning experiences.

If you have had a no, remember that you are in good company. If I recall rightly, something like 90% of JA applicants are unsuccessful. And remember that the vast majority of those who apply are good dancers - almost all will be  high achievers in their local dance school and the pupils that their teachers think have most potential. Not getting in doesn't mean that your child is a bad dancer or that there is anything "wrong" with them, just that they are not "right" for this particular scheme at this particular time.

My DD has had way more No than Yes letters over the years, and the Nos are never nice but she accepts them as part of the deal. No doubt there will be many more to come. But we treat every audition as an event in it's own right. A class somewhere different. a look at another school or studio, with a different teacher and different dancers to pick stuff up from. And of course, a mother and daughter road trip with associated shopping and eating.

DD went though a spell a few years ago when she didn't want to do anything outside of her local school and decided that dancing should just be a hobby for her. I think that's fine too - after all, this is all supposed to be enjoyable and if it's not, then it is probably time to re-evaluate. So for quite a few years she didn't audition for anything at all, or do any summer schools etc, just had fun (albeit hard work ) with her local school. Until last year, when she decided that she did want to audition for full time training after all. Of course she got plenty of No letters again, but also a couple of yesses, so come September she'll be away. Her best friend from the beginning of the story is still a beautiful dancer, but her interests have developed in other directions, and she dances as a hobby now. That didn't seem likely this time 10 years ago.

So, pick yourselves up, shake yourselves down and start all over again. Your children are the same lovely and loved little dancers that they were before you opened those letters and the world is full of other equally wonderful opportunities that maybe you just don't know about yet.

• Like 36

Such a fab post, Pupsmum. X

Just to add our experience - DD got a no for JAs for year 5, then SWL for year 6 but place didn't come up. At the same time got a yes for two other associate schemes, Tring CBA and YDA. She auditioned this year for vocational lower schools, got finals at 3 out of 4, and funded place to start in September at one of them. She has definitely learned as much, if not more, from her nos as her yeses.

• Like 7

just that they are not "right" for this particular scheme at this particular time.

At the same time when you are starting out, particularly without the support of the teacher, you have no idea whether DS/DD was even close. That for me is the difficult bit. Somehow a yes gives more confidence than a no. For us it was just the chance to be in a good class with highly motivated pupils, rather than long term ambitions.

• Like 1

Ah well I guess I'll stop checking the email .. I suspect it will be a no given my DD informed me a few weeks later she needed a toilet break ! We applied on DDs teachers recommendation , but she is very blasé about it all , being a young 7. Very unlike my older DD. Nevertheless we had a fab day in Covent Garden

I have a question regarding age limit for RBS JAs. Ive been assuming all along that we can re-apply next year, but its not clear to me when the age 10 limit refers to. On the web page it says the age in August, but which August? The one before the auditions or the one after? As my daughter is going to be 10 this year, would she actually have another chance at JA? 

Many thanks to anyone who can advise.

I have a question regarding age limit for RBS JAs. Ive been assuming all along that we can re-apply next year, but its not clear to me when the age 10 limit refers to. On the web page it says the age in August, but which August? The one before the auditions or the one after? As my daughter is going to be 10 this year, would she actually have another chance at JA? 

Many thanks to anyone who can advise.

It means age 10 when you apply, so anyone who is 10 at 31 August (after the auditions) counts as a JA. The next year would be MAs.