JA Auditions

swanprincess

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a YES for London for one of DD's classmates today but not sure if he counts as "London" results as they had to audition in Southampton last minute due to an error over audition dates? Very exciting!!

Edited by Petalviolet
  • Like 4

We had a YES for London for one of DD's classmates today but not sure if he counts as "London" results as they had to audition in Southampton last minute due to an error over audition dates? Very exciting!!

It goes on venue auditioned at. We auditioned in London for a Newcastle place. Everyone who auditioned in Newcastle has heard. The wait goes on.....

• Like 1

all these yes-es... so great, but it seems like everyone is so much in the dark beforehand. or do people have an idea that they are going to be successful? have people auditioned on recommendations of ballet teachers or are there some who are parents entering their children?

We had no idea DD was going to be successful...she got a straight no the first time,then she started another associate programme and got SWL the second time...finally offered a place last year when we used the audition as something for her to do whilst I shopped with her aunt!So I really hope that anyone who got a no this year will realise that there's still every chance for a yes in the future.

• Like 3

all these yes-es... so great, but it seems like everyone is so much in the dark beforehand. or do people have an idea that they are going to be successful? have people auditioned on recommendations of ballet teachers or are there some who are parents entering their children?

Most often I think it is the dc's dance teacher who will be the one who suggests auditioning.

• Like 1

We entered with acknowledgment from the teacher but not much interest - think she was trying not to get dd's hopes up really... It's quite an un-selfpromoting school, though one of their students was a JA, then Upper School and is now in the RB, so I think after that they maybe don't want to spoil the record or something! No pressure on, at least not from the teachers!!

Edited by Katia05
  • Like 1

Katia05, I think that's the best attitude from a teacher. As far as I'm concerned it's far better than those teachers who never sound a note of caution. Even the most talented students may lose their passion for dance/become the wrong shape/audition against more talented students and if they have never heard from a dance teacher that this may be the case, it's very hard for them.

I'm not suggesting that teachers should be Eeyore-ish and permanently remind students of the perils of a dance career or training, but I do think a balance should be struck so that expectations are reasonably managed. That obviously differs with different personalities of children and their parents - some are naturally cautious and self-effacing whereas others seem to have no self-doubt ;)

• Like 2

Yes, I'm sure that's right, Legseleven. Thanks for reassuring. I guess they are keen not to single out any ambitious students for special treatment too when the rest of the class are watching, which is admirable really, I think. I'm not a fan of the tendency of some schools to post individual successes on their websites etc and make one or two feel fabulous and successful, while the majority who just work hard and make quiet progress at their own rate are ignored. Unless it's a major achievement of course, which would inspire the others too to keep working hard and love dancing!  :)

• Like 4

Do you think that photos that were e mailed pre-audition has anything to do with outcome of results - I have just looked back on my 2 dd's photo's & realised their arms were in the wrong position for one photo - also taken in my living room & not in a studio.. :o

Starlight69 I not sure how they use photos. I got the Princple to take photos and the ballet teacher positioned her. It took them longer than I expected to take them, correcting arms feet etc. He may have been more fussy about them, than was needed.

Edited by AuntieNora
  • Like 1