What is your LEAST favourite ballet?

Following on from the favourite ballet or dance topic,I thought I would start one asking people what their least favourite ballet was. Mine is quite emphatically Sleeping Beauty. I don`t mind parts of it,but watching the whole thing is such a bore fest. It just goes on and on.

• Like 3

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Schaufuss' Diana The Princess, A Celebration is the absolute nadir for me.

Closely followed by Morricone's Jekyll & Hyde

I also loathed Macmillan's Prince of the Pagodas, although I only saw it once and, perhaps, I should give it another chance.

• Like 1

I agree with Lisa - I think the Beauty improves once the story is out of the way. For me, other bore-fests include anything by Ashton. (Go on, call me a heretic!) I also don't like that silly running about in pyjamas thing, which is known as "In the Upper Room".

Couldn't agree more about Sleeping Beauty, Lisa! As I said only yesterday on another thread, I'm thinking of going to the Matthew Bourne one this weekend, as it's been recommended to me by somebody who knows how much I loathe the classical version...

Leaving aside various brand-new turkeys I've seen recently (*cough*TETRACTYS) - because there are always going to be a few of those in order for the good new stuff to shine through and enter the rep - the other general dislike in my fairly limited experience is most of the Balanchine repertoire.  Other than Symphony in C and some of Jewels, I just find most of it really wishy-washy and not to my taste.

• Like 2

I agree with Lisa - I think the Beauty improves once the story is out of the way. For me, other bore-fests include anything by Ashton. (Go on, call me a heretic!) I also don't like that silly running about in pyjamas thing, which is known as "In the Upper Room".

People can go off people you know Trog!

• Like 5

I also concur about Sleeping Beauty. It is far too long and often made worse by far too many far too young children in the audience who are bored out of their brains and start fidgeting or worse.

Others on my list if worst ever

Edward II

Arthur (both parts)

The original, full length Isadora

Any ballet, be it one act or full length, which is danced to a 'specially commissioned score) where the choreographer runs out of valid ideas before the composer.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more about Sleeping Beauty, Lisa! As I said only yesterday on another thread, I'm thinking of going to the Matthew Bourne one this weekend, as it's been recommended to me by somebody who knows how much I loathe the classical version...

Sleeping Beauty is totally dependent on the production and I can't think of a current one that emphasizes the magic connotations to the degree that transforms it from simply a series of classical steps.

Do, do, go to see Matthew Bourne's version, his use of music is just inspired.  I had a couple of reservations about the second half, but Bourne's imagination shows just what could be done with this ballet if only producers were a little braver.  In my view this is Bourne's master work.

• Like 4

CURSES... The discount offer on Bargain Theatre on the Matthew Bourne seems to have closed.  It's still showing as "available" at present, but when you click on a date it says there isn't anything left. Should have booked it yesterday but was waiting for a friend to confirm other social plans. My likelihood of seeing this has just significantly diminished... but thanks for the recommendation, MAB :(

From the ballets I've seen so far, my reaction has ranged from absolutely loving it, to amused bemusement or polite interest.

With one exception: Le Corsaire.  

I've only seen it once & I became aware in Act I that it was making me feel incredibly angry. It just seemed to cross a line for me.

Though as a number of posters have listed it in the favourite ballet thread, perhaps I should give it another chance.  :)

Sylvia (Ashton), but perhaps it was the cast, and Prince of the Pagodas (Bintley) - and I suspect that I wouldn't have liked the MacMillan version either. I've only seen Mayerling once and thought that it epitomised MacMillan's obsession with the seamy side of life. I wouldn't rush to see Jewels or In the Night again either.

I like SB. The music and choreography are so varied and inventive but all the diverts have to be really well cast.

Duo Concertant. Didn't like the music, the dancing, or the setting. It always reminded me of a couple of people in their underwear doing physical contortions in an empty warehouse to the sound of cats being strangled.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Off the top of my head (since I don't want to dwell here too long):

Rosalinda (London Festival Ballet as was) - frivolous and tedious

The Judas Tree - sordid and obscure

Different Drummer - just sordid

Mark Morris's Romeo and Juliet (to my surprise and dismay)

Matthew Bourne's The Nutcracker - no poetry (with that music!)

Raven Girl

And I LOVE Sleeping Beauty. It has an austere beauty all of its own.

• Like 1

Duo Concertant. Didn't like the music, the dancing, or the setting. It always reminded me of a couple of people in their underwear doing physical contortions in an empty warehouse to the sound of cats being strangled.

Gosh,it sounds riveting.!!!!

• Like 1

Prince of the Pagodas: I deeply dislike it - and all those talented dancers having to act like monkeys, such a sad sight!

Different Drummer

Gloria

Anything by Liam Scarlett, except his Asphodel Meadows.

McGregor's Raven Girl and Life Fire Exercise

Acosta's Carmen

Wheeldon's Alice in Wonderland and Strapless

• Like 2

This House Will Burn - the curtain coming down half way through and then going up again was very unkind to the audience, who were fervently hoping it was over.

Les Sylphides as it was danced the last time RB staged it

Song of the Earth - I find it pretentious and dull. 

Just about everything by McGregor, but especially Infra (I think my ear drums have not recovered from that onslaught of static or feedback or whatever it was that kept appearing)

• Like 3

As Nina said and I agree - anything by Liam Scarlett

Also anything by Wayne McGregor

Bella Figura - gratuitous nudity masquerading as art.

Oh and anything with comedy 'bad' ballet e.g. the ugly sisters in Cinderella. I don't pay to watch ballet done badly and I don't find it funny.

Edited by tabitha
  • Like 1

Still trying to think of a ballet I hate!!

Quite a few just a bit indifferent to but often this is because of the music.

Sleeping Beauty I've decided might be an age thing!

I loved it when I was in my twenties and thirties and really love the music and have such happy memories of all the Fonteyn and Nureyev ones and the fun queuing when the market was still there etc etc ......this overall experience may colour the view of the actual ballet not so sure.

These days however I just cannot stand still being in a theatre .....whatever it is after 10.30 .....because I spend a lot of the time worrying about the journey home if it gets too late so Sleeping Beauty becomes less appealing because it does go on so long.

Perhaps all our attention spans have subtetly declined in recent years the way modern life is but think it's more likely an oldies thing (post 60 or thereabouts)

I'm generally speaking not a great Balanchine fan but nothing of his I hate!!

There must be something.........probably forgotten because I've obviously not seen it for so,many years!!

• Like 1

Petrushka. It was the first ballet I saw (when I was about 6), and it gave me nightmares for weeks afterwards. I can't put my finger on it exactly but even now I still think it is rather creepy :blink:

Clowns will do that...

• Like 3

Well I love Petrushka because I had read so much about Fokine and his ballets before I finally saw it so it was special,for,me

However if you were only six I can quite imagine how it gave you nightmares.

It's not really a very happy or nice story and there is a weirdness and strangeness about it which may be okay to absorb if you are 20 but a bit unpalatable for a six year old!!

• Like 5

I suspect that most of my candidates for LEAST favourite ballet are among the hundreds I've never yet seen, or have deliberately avoided.

But of the ones I *have* seen, I've put most of them out of the easily-accessible part of my memory, I guess.  Although Beyond Bach has unfortunately just floated to the surface ...