RBS Senior Associates Results

proudmum

I've just had an email to say DD hasn't got a place for SA's - I know the chances of gaining a place are minimal but I just don't know how to tell her! She's at dance at the moment and I know she is going to be devastated. She auditioned for JAs and has done so every year, without success. She is such a lovely dancer and has achieved so much, but her confidence is gradually disappearing.

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After 4 wonderful years training as a JA and MA DD received a no for SAs - she was gutted but am hoping tomorrow is another day as they say and she will bounce back higher.

There are so many talented dancers around and so little opportunities for them if they haven't gone down the vocational route that they pin all their hopes on the Associate programmes but I am hoping that you will all rally and tell me there is life after MAs! A huge congratulations to those who did receive a place and a massive virtual hug and commiseration to those who didn't.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Happydancer. There most certainly is life after MAs; last year we saw some SAs not going to their chosen Upper Schools and many associates at other schools like Central happily heading off to full time training. Commiserations to your dd and best of luck with her future training.

• Like 3

Couldn't give you figures akh (someone else will have more recent experience than me I'm sure), but in my experience it's rare for someone to get into RBS US who was an SA, but most (I think I'm safe in saying) SAs get places at other dance schools/colleges (those who want to continue down the dance route of course!)

• Like 1

Over the last couple of years my dd has had several ‘good' and several ‘bad’ results - festivals/competitions, exams, associate programme and summer school applications etc..... We now try to look at the year as a whole, and say ‘look, you are trying for success in 10 things this year, so 5 out of 10 would be fabulous!’ That way the rejections seem less painful, because she always has one eye on the good outcomes too :)

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 7

Yes, Taxi is right.  Royal Upper School will have a group move up from WL (numbers vary year to year) and others sometimes from Elmhurst and Tring. The balance usually made up from International students, often the winners of competitions.  It is rare for an SA to be taken. 

• Like 2

No, she is travelling every weekend. A boy from the school also did this a few years ago x

Well I for one hope she does very well, and gets as much out the classes as is possible. With committment like that her and her family certainly deserve it. It makes our 400 mile round trip seem like a stroll to the local shops.

Edited by Vonrothbart
  • Like 3

I've just had an email to say DD hasn't got a place for SA's - I know the chances of gaining a place are minimal but I just don't know how to tell her! She's at dance at the moment and I know she is going to be devastated. She auditioned for JAs and has done so every year, without success. She is such a lovely dancer and has achieved so much, but her confidence is gradually disappearing.

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear x

Proudmum, auditioning for RBS Associates or WL can be a soul destroying process if your DC I'd not 'their' body shape i.e. Some degree of hyper extension in the knee, or long limbs in relation to torso. I know some stunning dancers who have always been turned down for associates with them, who have gone on to be soloists in renowned ballet companies.

My DD is at the top of her classical year of 25 children in a full time vocational school and was turned down every time by RBS. In the end, especially after hearing that they can be asked to stand against a wall to see if their knee can touch the wall behind, we realised that their criteria is so weighted on body type that there really was no point in putting her through trying again. It doesn't mean that she won't have a classical career, she'll just never make it through their developement scheme.

Look at Laurretta Summerscales, now Principal at English National Ballet; no Royal or vocational training until ENB School at 16. Granted, Susan Robinson was an outstanding teacher for her, but it goes to show that there's not always one route to success!

I'm sure your DD is a beautiful dancer, with a career ahead of her. Not being right for RBS doesn't mean she's not right for ballet by any stretch!

I hope she took the news ok :)

• Like 4