Amsterdam International Summer School

Hambleton

Has anyone been to this before? 17 year old DS keen to apply. Accommodation appears to be in a hostel quite a way from where they will be dancing. I can ring the school but thought I'd ask on here first ????

Edited by Hambleton

Hello Hambleton, my DD went to the AISS last year and had a wonderful time.

Is the hostel the Stayokay in Zeeburg? I think it's about 20 mins on a direct tram to the Theatreschool where the studios are. The tram stop is very close to the hostel and it's probably 5 mins walk at the other end. There are bicycles for hire at the hostel if you are keen to cycle to the studios. The hostel itself is spacious and secure, you need your pass to get through the main entrance and also to use the lifts and the corridors. It's also a lovely quiet safe area. The included breakfast was substantial and good quality but there are no cooking facilities in the hostel (I think that is standard for all Dutch Youth Hostels).

My DD said the standard of the Summer school was high with a large number of different nationalities.

Thanks Lucinda and Kate_N.  It is the hostel in Zeeburg yes.  It sounds like they look after them pretty well.  The schedule looks quite full-on for the two weeks.  Did your DD go with friends or on her own, if you don't mind me asking?  DS has friends applying but as they are all also applying elsewhere, he might end up being the only one attending.  

• 2 months later...

My DD is going this year. Any other balleocoers going.The course finishes on the Friday.Does anyone who has been before have an idea of when the end of course show of work was scheduled and the finishing time.I am keen to get flights booked.DD is staying in the StayOkay hostel.Whats the best way to get there from the airport.

• 2 months later...

Feeling very proud of myself negotiating Amsterdam by train , metro and tram to drop DD off at the Summer School today.Now back at the airport after my day trip. Dance mom job done. DD taking it all in her stride despite end of term exhaustion, coming alone and sharing with Belgian, French and American girls.Any other balletcoers out there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DD really enjoyed this course which had a good friendly atmosphere.Well organised though practical information was quite late in coming through ( 2 weeks before the start) due to a change in course coordinator. There was no dress code. There were 3 ladies groups of about 20 students and 1 men's group. There were 7 French girls in my daughters group, and others from the USA , UK, Australia, and elsewhere in mainland Europe.Students were mainly from elite vocational schools .Age range 15-21. Classes ran from 10-5.30 Monday to Friday and Sat am.All days started with a 1.5 hour ballet class , then pointe, or Pas de deux for the oldest group, then rep/ contemporary. Tuition was top rate,and inspirational . Classes were conducted in English but individual corrections were given in English or French depending on the students origins, as the majority of the teachers were French speaking. It was possible to audition for the Dutch National Academy during the course.About half the students stayed in the StayOkay hostel in Zeeburg which was an 8 -11 minute tram journey away .Tram travel cost about €45 for the 2 weeks using the chip card travel card, including use in free time. The hostel was in a quiet residential neighbourhood , spacious , bright and clean.Communal meals were provided at breakfast and dinner, except at the weekends.Students were expected to make up a lunch pack from the breakfast items. Snacks such as muffins and Pringles were available for purchase.DD was not impressed by the food, but she is very picky , but still managed to find adequate nourishment.There is a supermarket across the road from Dutch National Opera and Ballet where the classes were held.My DD had a preloaded travel card with euros which was a MasterCard- a number of shops however only accepted Maestro cards including the Albert Hein supermarkets, she was able to use this to withdraw cash from ATMs.Wifi was patchy in the dorms but adequate in the communal areas. There was a secure luggage storage area.My DD was in a 6 person dorm, very basic , no soap or towels provided. The dorm accommodation was arranged by age and the dancers were housed with others on the course. The hostel is very large sleeping 600.No supervision was provided outside of class times ,suiting confident ,independant dancers .My DD enjoyed the freedom to explore Amsterdam with her new dance friends and found it a friendly ,safe city.Sensibly she declined the offer of cocktails (at 16) in the Ice Bar.There was a comprehensive 2 hour studio presentation at the end of the course at 3:15 on the final Friday featuring all the dancers in at least 3 pieces of work and attended by the Artistic Director of Dutch National Ballet Company.The course was expensive but worthwhile.

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I am reviving this thread in hopes that I can get some information on how long it took for people to receive the results of their application.  My dd (15 yrs old) has applied to this program, and would really love to attend.  The website indicates that they will get back to her by the end of April at the latest.   I know this intensive traditionally has later deadlines than many other programs, but I'm really hoping that she won't have to wait the full two and a half months to hear back.   My fingers are crossed that they start responding to applicants long before then!

Thank you!

Hello,

I am reviving this thread in hopes that I can get some information on how long it took for people to receive the results of their application.  My dd (15 yrs old) has applied to this program, and would really love to attend.  The website indicates that they will get back to her by the end of April at the latest.   I know this intensive traditionally has later deadlines than many other programs, but I'm really hoping that she won't have to wait the full two and a half months to hear back.   My fingers are crossed that they start responding to applicants long before then!

Thank you!

Hello Neophyte and welcome to the Forum!  Good luck to your DD.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wondering if any other BalletCo members have applied to the AISS this year? 

My dd applied early, and received a response at the end of March telling her that she was on the list of possible accepted candidates, but they were unable to offer her a spot until after all applications had been received on April 1st, and that it could take as long as an additional two weeks.  That was six weeks ago, and we haven't heard a peep since then one way or the other.  

I'm rather baffled as to how to take it.  I assume that the original email was implying that while she is reasonably suited to the program, she wasn't one of the very strongest candidates, so they were placing her on something akin to a wait list.   

I do wish that they were somewhat more communicative.   

I'm really hoping that someone has experiences to share from this year.   

Last year we applied in March and received an acceptance on 13th April then no further communication until 17 May when a new summer school coordinator took over - communication in general was quite sporadic in response to emails . I have no information on this year's summer school as DD has different plans this year.