Tutu question

shygirlsmum

We are shopping for a new tutu, DD tried on a second hand one last week and loved it.  My only reservation is that it feels quite heavy.  It is a beautiful one, well made with a panelled bodice and stiff pancake skirt.  It could be that I am not used to the quality but others I have looked at have been much lighter.  DD doesn't think that the weight would be an issue but I am concerned that a heavy tutu would be a hindrance.  What would be your thoughts?

It's hard to say, without knowing how heavy heavy is, if you know what I mean?!

My DD has always had hooped tutus with about 12 layers of net, and yes, I would say they are quite heavy, certainly compared to the unhooped type that you get from standard dancewear catalogues. But she's never found it a problem. It does affect weight placement, so it's important to practice in the tutu before any kind of festival or performance as it does take a bit of getting used to. But once they are used to the different feeling it seems to be fine.

In my admittedly limited experience of these matters, I would say that a far bigger issue than a tutus weight is making sure that the skirt is not too big. I made this error once and ended up with a skirt which was far to wide for DD, meaning that she was off balance and couldn't get her arms positioned properly over the skirt. A bold few minutes with the kitchen scissors solved it though - I cut about an inch and a bit off the net all round and it made a huge difference.

Is there any chance you could borrow the tutu for a day or two so your DD can actually dance in it to see how she feels about it? Chances are she will get used to it fairly quickly though I would think.

• Like 1

Hi Shygirlsmum

Tutu weights will vary depending on number of layers, type of net and bodice fabric/lining used, amount of decoration, whether it is hooped or not, there are no rules! A hooped tutu may have less net, as it is supported by the hoop, but then the hoop can add weight too!

I think the most important thing is the fit. Tutus should fit like pointe shoes, becoming part of the dancer's body. The dancer should wear the tutu, the tutu should not wear the dancer - does that make sense? Movement is key, so get your DD to practice parts of her dance and if it feels right, weight is not an issue :) 

Sx

• Like 2

I make tutus and I do try to make them as light as possible. But sometimes the decoration customers ask for will make the tutu heavier. Especially if there is lots of stoning. Also some fabric is much heavier eg; brocade is much heavier than silk and some grades of net are heavier than others. Decoration towards the outside edge of the skirt will make a tutu feel heavier

A hoop will make a tutu heavier, but lighter net can be used to compensate. Or really heavy net can be used to cut out the need for a hoop. My preference these days on larger tutus is lighter net but with a hoop casing so the hoop can be inserted at a later date if the skirt drops. I don't hoop any skirts under 12". But my skirts don't drop for years if stored properly, sticking it in the loft (in my experience) is a sure fire way to soften the net. ;)

My own DD hates heavy tutus as she thinks shes working hard enough on her technique so doesn't want the added work of lugging a heavy tutu around. Her friend doesn't mind at all :rolleyes: All personal preference, but my advice would be that if she is strong and doesn't concern herself with her tutu whilst dancing then it should be fine, but if she is light and dainty go for something lighter.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the advice.  It really is a beautiful tutu, quite heavily decorated.... so i'm guessing that is where the weight comes from.  I would never have thought about letting her practice in it but that makes perfect sense. 

I do love tutu shopping, if I won the lottery I would have lots :)

• Like 3