6/18 13:00 Lamb, Muntagirov

6/18 18:00 Nuñez, Soares

6/19 13:00 Salenko, McRae

Giselle

6/22 19:00 Nuñez, Muntagirov

6/24 19:00 Osipova, Golding

6/25 14:00 Lamb, McRae

6/26 14:00 Cuthbertson, Bonneli

there are also performances in Hyogo, Nagoya and Fukuoka but cast not announced yet.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the situation in Japan has changed but I understood many years ago that the contracts specify that principals will dance the leading roles.  BRB (who were probably still SWRB) toured Swan Lake to Japan and Marion Tait became injured.  I believe Miyako Yoshida was promoted to principal during the tour to fulfil the contract.

I understand why Naghdi/Ball may not have been cast but I wonder why Hayward could not have danced with McRae in R&J.

[i may be risking opening a familiar can of worms here!!!!]

I assume Naghdi/Ball will be given opportunities to dance R&J away from Tokyo where they demand to see Principals in lead roles. McRae & Salenko do seem to be "tied" together now but Naghdi as well as Hayward could be dancing R&J with McRae (don't know about the height differences).

I don't know if the situation in Japan has changed but I understood many years ago that the contracts specify that principals will dance the leading roles.  BRB (who were probably still SWRB) toured Swan Lake to Japan and Marion Tait became injured.  I believe Miyako Yoshida was promoted to principal during the tour to fulfil the contract.

Yes Janet's assumption is correct. However, last time when they brought Wheeldon's Alice, there was one performance by Stix-Brunell. And one performance added was by Choe. But that might be the case because it was Alice and also Cuthbertson withdrew because of her injury.

I will inform you all about the casts outside Tokyo.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some cast changes for Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet tour. 

Just the change of the dates.

Romeo and Juliet
6/16 18:30 Cuthbertson, Bonneli
6/17 18:30 Salenko, McRae (originally Osipova, Golding)

6/18 13:00 Lamb, Muntagirov
6/18 18:00 Osipova, Golding  (originally Nuñez, Soares)

6/19 13:00 Nuñez, Soares (Originally Salenko, McRae)

Also a few of the casts outside Tokyo are announced. 

Romeo and Juliet in Nagoya

July 3rd

Lamb, McRae

Giselle in Fukuyama (Hiroshima)

July 6th

Morera, Kish

Casts for Fukuoka and Hyogo Giselle are not announced yet, but it seems we are not getting a Naghdi/Ball pair or Hayward in R&J.

It seems to me that it is a bit of a cheek to have that specified in the contract of a touring company. What happens if more than one Principal gets injured?  Does that mean that the company concerned has to give another dancer Principal status just to be able to fulfill the contract?  It makes a bit of a nonsense of the whole issue of promotion.  Supposing they don't deserve it, and would not have been promoted otherwise?  If they didn't give a dancer that official status, would they have to cancel some/all of the scheduled performances and refund all the money? 

And in that particular instance, Yoshida was Japanese anyway, I wouldn't have thought they would have had any problems filling seats for her performances, not matter what her official status was. 

Just pondering in general here, not criticising the fact that Yoshida was promoted.  I was a huge fan of hers. 

Well, it is rare for RB to tour Japan. On their last tour in 2013, they only performed in Tokyo. And their visit before, in 2010, their only performance was in Hyogo. So I am a little surprised they tour this much this time.

As for Miyako Yoshida, things worked on the contrary for her in fact. When she was principal of the company, the promoter then thought the Japanese audience expects non-Asian dancers, so they tried not to focus on her. In their tour in 2005, she was only given one lead performance, in Cinderella. And in their next tour, she didn't have any appearance in Tokyo, just a brief appearance in the Osaka performance "Homage to the Queen." So her fans in Japan were very upset, they thought the Japanese promoter was a kind of racist.  

But then the promoter realized her name sells tickets, so she had her final performance as a RB principal in 2010 (in Romeo and Juliet in Tokyo) and she still participates in galas, dancing in top form while she is now 50. (Amazing) 

There is still a tendency of promoters here thinking that there will be demand for non-Japanese/non-Asian dancers than Japanese principals dancing abroad. 

Edited by Naomi M

In Dancing Away, Deborah Bulll cites her own promotion to principal under those circumstances jumping in as Gaamzatti...

Yes but I find it almost an arrogance that Royal Ballet doesn't tour in the UK. They are tax payer supported after all and so should occasionally stick their noses outside the capital. It just really irks me. Of course we have ENB, BRB etc but RB would be nice as well....

• Like 4

Yes but I find it almost an arrogance that Royal Ballet doesn't tour in the UK. They are tax payer supported after all and so should occasionally stick their noses outside the capital. It just really irks me. Of course we have ENB, BRB etc but RB would be nice as well....

Nothing to do with arrogance... but with many other issues.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

At this point no cast changes.

As for the performances outside Tokyo,

Giselle in Fukuoka

June 29th 

Morera, Kish

Giselle in Hyogo

July 1st

Nunez, Muntagirov

July 3rd

Lamb, McRae

July 6th

Morera, Kish

By the way, nothing to do with the tour but there is a performance of Acri-Horimoto Ballet Academy in Saitama on July 17th, a school that Luca Acri's parents runs and has many alumni in companies all over. Several RB dancers are participating .

Luca Acri, Fumi Kaneko, Matthew Ball, David Donnelly, Reece Clarke and Simon Acri(RBS student)

Also Miki Mizutani and Mitsuru Itoh of BRB (those two are alumni)  

• Like 1

At this point no cast changes.

As for the performances outside Tokyo,

Giselle in Fukuoka

June 29th 

Morera, Kish

Giselle in Hyogo

July 1st

Nunez, Muntagirov

July 3rd

Lamb, McRae

July 6th

Morera, Kish

Delighted that Morera will get her chance to revisit Giselle after the disappointment of her injury this season.

• Like 1

Delighted that Morera will get her chance to revisit Giselle after the disappointment of her injury this season.

Yes, she would be wonderful. Shame she is not scheduled to dance Giselle in Tokyo but it might be worth travelling.  

And the official press release:  

THE ROYAL BALLET TOUR TO JAPAN 2016

Tokyo 16 - 26 June / Fukuoka 29 June / Osaka 1 July / Nagoya 3 July/ Fukuyama 6 July

The Royal Ballet tours to Japan this summer with Romeo and Juliet and Giselle, two iconic productions from the repertory showcasing the Company’s virtuosity and theatricality. Performing Thursday 16 June – Wednesday 6 July, the tour takes in five cities; Tokyo, Fukuoka, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuyama, returning to some of the venues first visited by The Royal Ballet during its inaugural tour to Japan in 1975. 

The Royal Ballet has toured Japan on a number of occasions, most recently in 2013 with Christopher Wheeldon’s production of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Japanese members of the Company include First Soloists Ryoichi HiranoHikaru Kobayashi and Akane Takada; Soloists Luca Acri and Fumi Kaneko, and Artists Chisato Katsura and Mariko Sasaki, who will be performing in a variety of roles throughout the duration of the tour.

Kevin O’Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet said “Touring to Japan is always a highlight for the Company, the audiences are so warm and receptive and I'm delighted that this summer we'll present two masterpieces from The Royal Ballet repertory Romeo and Juliet and Giselle, showcasing the breadth, artistry and talent of our world-class dancers."

Kenneth MacMillan’s landmark production of Romeo and Juliet will be performed at the Bunka Kaikan Theatre, Tokyo from Thursday 16 June –Sunday 19 June and The Aichi Arts Centre, Nagoya on Friday 3 July.  Set to Sergei Prokofiev’s emotionally charged score and with sumptuous designs byNicholas Georgiadis, MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet is regarded as a ballet masterpiece and has been a seminal production of The Royal Ballet repertory for over 50 years. It was last performed in Japan by The Royal Ballet in 2013.

Peter Wright’s classic production of Giselle will also be performed at the Bunka Kaikan Theatre, Tokyo from Wednesday 22 June - Sunday 26 June, The Sun Palace Hall, Fukuoka on Wednesday 29 June, thHyogo Performing ArtsCenter, Osaka on Friday 1 July and the Hall of Art & Culture in Fukuyama on Wednesday 6 July.  Giselle is regarded as one of the great Romantic ballets and is amongst the most celebrated in The Royal Ballet’s repertory. This spellbinding production tells the story of Giselle, a gentle peasant girl who is driven to her death when deceived by her aristocratic lover Count Albrecht. Last performed by the Company in Japan in 1995, the production incorporates John Macfarlane’s evocative original design, and, this year, enjoyed an acclaimed revival at Covent Garden.

Ends

The Royal Opera House would like to thank all tour supporters and Aud Jebsen for her support of the Royal Ballet touring programme.

Tour Dates and Performances (casting to be confirmed)

Toyko Bunka Kaikan Theatre, Thursday 16 June- Sunday 19 JuneRomeo and Juliet

16 June 6.30pm / 17 June 1.30pm† & 6.30pm / 18 June 1pm & 6pm / 19 June 1pm

Giselle
22 June 7pm / 23 June 1.30pm†/ 24 June 7pm / 25 June 2pm /
26 June 2pm

Fukuoka Sun Palace Hall
Giselle

Wednesday 29 June 6.30pm

Hyogo Performing Arts Center
Giselle

Friday 1 July 6.30pm

Aichi Arts Center
Romeo and Juliet
Sunday 3 July 1.30pm

Fukuyama Hall of Art & Culture 
Giselle
Wednesday 6 July 6.30pm

† Schools Performance

Romeo and Juliet

CREATIVE TEAM 

Choreography                         Kenneth MacMillan

Music                                       Sergey Prokofiev

Designer                                  Nicholas Georgiadis

Lighting Designer                   John B. Read

Giselle

CREATIVE TEAM 

Choreography                         Marius Petipa after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot

Music                                       Adolphe Adam revised by Joseph Horovitz

Scenario                                  Théophile Gautier after Heinrich Heine

Production                              Peter Wright

Designer                                  John Macfarlane

Original Lighting                    Jennifer Tipton

Lighting re-created by David Finn       

Additional choreography by Peter Wright  

• 4 weeks later...

Detailed Casting for RB Japan Tour

http://www.nbs.or.jp/blog/news/contents/topmenu/2016-11.html

Romeo and Juliet

6/16 6:30p.m. 

Juliet : Cuthbertson, 
Romeo : Bonneli
Mercutio : Campbell
Tybalt : Avis
Benvolio : Dyer

6/17 6:30p.m.
Juliet : Salenko 
Romeo : McRae
Mercutio : Campbell
Tybalt : Avis
Benvolio : Dyer

6/18 1:00p.m.
Juliet : Lamb
Romeo : Muntagirov
Mercutio : Acri
Tybalt : Whitehead
Benvolio : Hay

6/18 6:00p.m. 
Juliet : Osipova
Romeo : Golding
Mercutio : Sambe
Tybalt : Hirano
Benvolio : Edmonds

6月19日(日)1:00p.m. 
Juliet : Nunez
Romeo : Soares
Mercutio : Zuchetti
Tybalt : Gartside
Benvolio : Hay

Giselle

6/22 7:00p.m. 
Giselle:Nunez
Albrecht: Muntagirov
Hilarion : Gartside
Pas de Six (lead dancer):Choe, Campbell
Myrta: Mendizabal

6/24 7:00p.m. 
Giselle: Osipova
Albrecht: Golding
Hilarion : Whitehead
Pas de Six (lead dancer):Takada, Hay
Myrta: Calvert

6/25 2:00p.m. 
Giselle:Lamb
Albrecht: McRae
Hilarion : Zuchetti
Pas de Six (lead dancer):Nagdhi, Sambe
Myrta: Crawford

6/26 2:00p.m. 
Giselle:Cuthbertson
Albrecht:Bonneli
Hilarion :Gartside
Pas de Six (lead dancer):Crawford, Zuchetti
Myrta: Kobayashi

• Like 1

Japanese fans should not miss THE most FABULOUS Giselle pas-de-six cast danced by Yuhui Choe/Yasmine Naghdi/Francesca Hayward respectively partnered by Alexander Campbel/Marcelino Sambe/Lucca Acri.

They are simply outstanding! 

• Like 9

Japanese fans should not miss THE most FABULOUS Giselle pas-de-six cast danced by Yuhui Choe/Yasmine Naghdi/Francesca Hayward respectively partnered by Alexander Campbel/Marcelino Sambe/Lucca Acri.

They are simply outstanding!

I will be seeing that cast!

• Like 3