EYB reserve list

DevonDancer

My DD auditioned for EYB in Torquay this afternoon. She had a great experience but didn't get offered a place. She is on the reserve list - does anyone know if we can find out where she is on the list? And in anyone else's experience, what is the likelihood of her being offered a place subsequently? Thank you ????

On other threads regarding other EYB auditions, people have said that their child was 1st or 2nd on the list - I just wondered how they knew their specific position?

It could simply be that they have assumed it, since their dc was chosen from the reserve list.

On occasion, it is possible that vocational schools will tell you whereabouts you are on a waiting list for a place, but I've never known EYB do it.

Edited to add: They won't be able to know who to take from the reserve list until someone drops out, and then I guess they will replace with someone in that age group/level.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

My dd was picked last year from the reserve list. I emailed Janet @ EYB as I wanted to ask what the likely hood of her being picked was and she replied within a couple of hours to say she had done well and that she was 2nd on the reserve list and it was very likely she would be picked. EYB is a lot financially for some people and some children simply just attend the audition for experience or if their child is very good then with the hope of getting the full or half scholarships. So a lot do drop out. I would email Janet as she was very open and honest with me. Good luck to your dd!

Edited by LovetoDance2003

My dd was picked last year from the reserve list. I emailed Janet @ EYB as I wanted to ask what the likely hood of her being picked was and she replied within a couple of hours to say she had done well and that she was 2nd on the reserve list and it was very likely she would be picked. EYB is a lot financially for some people and some children simply just attend the audition for experience or if their child is very good then with the hope of getting the full or half scholarships. So a lot do drop out. I would email Janet as she was very open and honest with me. Good luck to your dd!

Good advice - but I would address "Janet" as "Miss Lewis"!!! :-)

• Like 2

EVERYBODY refers to Miss Lewis as Miss Lewis. Even her email is "misslewis@". :-)

Interestingly, all other adults at EYB are referred to by their Christian name, even by the students. But Miss Lewis has always been Miss Lewis.

• Like 6

How strange. I guess she thinks she is superior to everyone else?

Don't think so, it's just one of those things. She is "old school" and a much respected ex professional. I wouldn't have dreamed of addressing dd's academic teachers by their first names, in front of dd or not - just a mark of respect, I suppose. Miss Lewis was always introduced to parents and students as "Miss" so I always addressed her as such.

• Like 6

Edited by DevonDancer

I don't mind being called by my first name generally but I do prefer to be addressed formally by both pupils and parents when dealing with with all matters pertaining to the Ballet School that I run.

In no way does this mean I think I am superior and I don't think it old fashioned either, just a way of keeping a professional distance.

I am known by my first name for other concerns that I am involved in such as summer schools or teaching special needs group as the setting is more informal anyway and that is my choice.

• Like 3

I like the old fashioned Mr/Mrs/Miss

Reminds me of when I was a summer girl at John Lewis.  I don't know if it's still the case now but in each department all the staff members and section managers were referred to by their first names.  The only exception was the department manager who was always Mr/Mrs/Miss.  Department managers had their own staff room too!

• Like 2

We always found Miss Lewis very helpful. She gave us extra time to commit as the rehearsal venue changed which made it more difficult to accommodate. DD nearly dropped out which would have made a space. EYb were always efficient to deal with and everyone is visible in the performances.

• Like 1

I agree. I have always found Miss Lewis to be very friendly and helpful but she is "old school" and very professional. At work I call the vast majority of people by their first names but there are some that I struggle to be that familiar with, even if I am at the same grade or even senior to - I'm not sure exactly why!In front of clients I always address my colleagues formally, even if they are closer friends and I always ask clients what form of address they prefer. These days the vast majority do prefer first names, but I would never assume it. Imagine bumping into one of your old school masters in Tesco - I bet most of us would call him "sir" automatically,whatever our age or standing these days. It's just the same with Miss Lewis. She prefers a little more formality than the average,but she has a heart of gold. Don't let the formality put anyone off. EYB has always been a fantastic experience for me and my DD and the staff are all lovely.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

On your advice LoveToDance2003, I did email Miss Lewis and she came back to me saying that my dd was in the top few on the reserve list and that there was every possibility that she might be offered a place. So thank you so much for your advice ????. The acceptance deadline was yesterday so I'm keeping everything crossed! Does anyone know how they inform you if you are successful? Email, letter, call? Thank you ????

• Like 3

good luck Devondancer :)

I know lots of girls who get offered places from the reserve list so if she's near the top then hopefully it's time to get a copy of birth certificate ready and get your cheque book out .... fingers crossed! :)

From Stevenage auditions earlier this year out of a group of 7 that all got offered places that we knew of, 5 dropped out for various reasons and we knew of 3 girls who got offered places on the reserve list.

and yes after reading other comments and giggling at them a bit ... it is "Miss Lewis" but in a lovely, respectful way. She really is very sweet from our experiences and doesn't come across superior at all, just very caring and professional :)

• Like 4

Laughing at the 'Miss' comments - we have similar with the head of DD's dance school, who is Miss X to EVERYONE, from the tiniest 3 year old to the most hardened of parents ... and i suspect even to the other teachers.

The other teachers are 'Miss firstname', and I can just about imagine one day (DD has been dancing there for 8 years) being able to call them by just their first names, but NEVER the head.

They all address me as 'Mrs', Mrs Initial in more informal circumstances, Mrs Fullsurname normally. I'm used to it - teacher - and feel quite comfortable with the formality.

• Like 1

We have a different/odd set up at DD's school. Very proper and quite old school teacher yet everyone even the kiddies just uses her first name. Her husband has become Mr- wife's first name!?? And it's a very feminine name too! One of these days I'm going to forget the Mr I know it.