Auditions – don't be discouraged!

Cara in NZ

My previous posts are too old to find now, but today we learned that DD has got into Year 8 in the NZ School of Dance JA programme starting Feb 2016 (our only national ballet training school)! So pleased! I have posted before about the struggle I had persuading her to try again after she had a no for Yr 7 (her first audition). So I just wanted to post a general encouragement to all of you whose DC have had 'no's – we are proof that trying again is worth it!

• Like 38

Wow! Just checked in after school run and I actually have watery eyes seeing all the support that has come in while we were sleeping! Thank you so much to you all! This forum has been so wonderful when I was 'obsessing' and didn't want to bore 'normal' friends any more! We only have this one JA programme and it is fiercely hard to get into. There were only two girls at DD's level from our region of about 500,000 people (there is also a national JA scheme but they only visit 3x a term whereas the 'locals' do two ballet + a Pilates class each week at Yr 8). One didn't get back in, and so with my DD there will still be only two of them next year! The numbers vary in each year as they only take the ones they really like/ think have a possible career in dance. They really like to get them going into Year 6 and so it's quite an achievement to get in at Year 8. Off to re-do the budget and see what we can sell on eBay now!

Thanks again – even from across the world you have made a difference  :D

• Like 14

Cara - just for my own curiosity (and for clarity I suppose of those reading the forum) - my understanding is that the Associate programme is for slightly older students - are you talking about the "Scholars" programme?

Cara - just for my own curiosity (and for clarity I suppose of those reading the forum) - my understanding is that the Associate programme is for slightly older students - are you talking about the "Scholars" programme?

Yes Julie, as 'Scholars' doesn't seem to be used in the UK (and it used to be called the JA programme), I have used JA so I don't have to explain so much. She has been accepted into Level 3 of the Scholars programme, ie going into Yr 8. Nice to find some Kiwis on here!