North london ballet school recommendations?

Mazurka

We are relocating to north london in the new year. (Muswell Hill, N10). My daughter is very keen on dance and her teacher says she has potential. Any recommendations for ballet schools? Highgate ballet looks good but it is cecchetti and she is currently doing RAD. Or does anyone dance at first steps school? Any thoughts on the 2 methods? Her current teacher a bit down on cecchetti. Trying to make the move a bit easier on her and a good ballet school will help! Thanks.

• Like 1

Highgate ballet looks good but it is cecchetti and she is currently doing RAD.

Although you say your DD's current teacher is down" on Cechetti, it is a beautiful syllabus, and the training is pretty much the same as RAD. If you look up the history of the various schools, you'll see that Maestro Cechetti was actually quite influential in the history of ballet training in the UK!

Good teaching & training are good teaching & training. Seriously - if she's going to go on to aim for vocational schools, they really won't care. They'll want to see good clean technique, and a body that will take the training. And most vocational schools don't adhere to an outside syllabus (although I think the Hammond School is Cechetti-based).

Speaking generally, I think you'd be foolish to dismiss an otherwise well-recommended school because of the exam syllabus it follows.

• Like 4

I've done both and prefer Cecchetti, I feel like it's more 'dancey' than RAD so don't rule it out without trying it :) Honestly good ballet technique is the same everywhere though! There might be a few minor terminology differences if she were to switch but nothing difficult. Look for a good teacher, solid technique and a school with the right atmosphere. The exam syllabus isn't as important in the long run.

• Like 3

Cecchetti much nicer and better syllabus (in my opinion only of course!). Wasn't ninette de Valois cecchetti trained? If she's on the lower grades I don't think it will be a problem switching at all. are you close enough to watch a class to decide? I'd also look at class sizes, general behaviours in class etc as well

Edited by Moomin
  • Like 3

I echo the above comments. Syllabus not the deciding factor, good teaching is! I have come across terrible/ horrible RAD teachers and great cecchetti, ISTD, BBO teachers and I'm RAD through and through. Would never discount a teacher until I've seen them, their work, the students attitude and the school atmosphere.

Good luck with finding the right school for your dd.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I think her current teacher mostly surprised. In Australia most schools are RAD, certainly the more serious ones. Any direct experience of schools in north London? Or recommendations? Will go to a trial class but interested in anyone who has been through it!

I lived in Australia for quite a long time, and not all the "good" schools are RAD, just as here! The major school in Sydney for quite a while was Cechetti, and the very elite place set up by Kelvin Coe & Kim Traynor followed the Vaganova syllabus. RAD is more widespread, but that doesn't mean it's "best." As everyone else says, the syllabus is not the issue: it's the quality of teaching & training.

Edited to add: neither the Australian Ballet School, nor the Royal Ballet School follows a named syllabus. THat should reassure you that the name of the syllabus doesn't matter.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

Sorry don't want to turn this into an argument on different ballet techniques. Although interesting to hear thoughts. . I'm never did ballet so find it hard to judge. But I'm sure and everyone here seems to agree, that great teaching is the key. So really after recommendations and thoughts on teachers in north london?

Ronahart.co.uk in Hampstead looks interesting. On its website it says it's the oldest school in the area, is RAD and has a history of getting lots of children into the Royal Ballet School. I think that's the kind of track record you're supposed to look for. Easy to do a quick google search to find out what's what.

Kit at First Steps is a fantastic teacher. My DD has had a fair range of ballet teachers (between youth companies and CAT programme) and she is the one he values the most for ballet. He did experience Highgate and it wasn't right for him but they are successful at getting students into vocational training and so it comes down to personalities and individuals. Think you can direct message me if you want more feedback.

There are a few VERY good schools in your area . One being Jacqui Ison . They are based in bishops stortford but have branches in North London . They are merging with Morgan aslanoff who are a fantastic tapping school . Jacqui classical work along with her Greek , national and modern as of an extremely high standard and I believe this merger will make an amazing school .

Graham's School of dance also has a very good ballet standard producing some very very competent ballet dancers who are a joy to watch . These are also based in Bishop Stortford .

• Like 1

As a general guide, what is it you look for when choosing a new dance school? We've had the discussion of syllabus types, and if that's out of the picture, what sorts of things guide us? as an adult, I look for appropriate length of classes - oh for a standard 90 minute class at any level above Beginners!

Looking for a child, I'd look for appropriate number of classes at appropriate levels, and see what progression is offered. If you've been told your child has "potential" it's quite scary isn't it? the sense of responsibility ... So I'd be looking for professional teacher training in the teachers & also the type & range of their own professional performance experience - I think that this is really important as a student advances from the age of 14 or so, but not so important at younger ages, when you just need a slow, steady nurturing environment. How many students have gone on to full-time vocational training at 11+, 16+ or university/college? Personally, competitions and exam results don't interest me as much as overall rates of progression - I know exams give you some idea, but sometimes it's an artificial one in terms of professional/vocational training.

Good luck in the search!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

From what I know , Highgate Ballet School , which seems to be near to where you are moving, has a very good reputation. They did very well at the Cecchetti Awards last weekend and I know that they have pupils who are Cecchetti Scholars . 

I hope that helps a little towards your decisions.

• 1 month later...

Just reading the thread and I just wanted to mention Omnida Studios which opened last year in Turnpike Lane. It's very well placed for easy access from Crouch End and Muswell Hill and it's on the piccadilly line. My daughter attends their ballet class on a Monday for 4-7 years and she absolutely loves it. They teach the RAD syllabus and the class seems to be growing by the week.  

They haven't been open very long, and I know a lot of my friends hadn't heard of it so I thought I'd give it a mention. Their website is www.omnida.co.uk- if you are interested. They have got quite a few discounts on at the moment.

Good luck with the move!