Anyone see I'm a Celebrity last night?

Picturesinthefirelight

This is 'no ones section' & we are far from being cut throat. We are extremely supportive to everyone here whether it be a poster who has been a professional dancer or a mum who has no clue about dance wanting info on how to help their child.

That's why it didn't go down well when you directed your comments towards a well known poster who has been nothing but supportive of others old & new.

• Like 8

Ok, well I believe I have apologised and I will not prostrate myself any further.

Taxi4ballet, i am not a regular poster of 'doing dance', this will be my last post in 'your section'.  It seems that the rules here may be different to other parts of the forum, and the community clearly has a different idea of who and what can be posted here. I have family members, and very good friends that are in professional companies  not being paid very much, and the (smiley) doesn't quite cover the difficulties of being in a profession that is not only difficult, but also poorly paid, even for those that are very successful.

Thanks for the introduction to the 'cut throat' world of 'Doing Dance'.

That's funny, I don't seem to be able to find any apology; and why would I find anything funny about hard work and low pay?

Before dismissing 'Doing Dance' I suggest that perhaps you might read the comments about this part of the forum made by Sim on the locked 'Osipova is back?' thread in 'Ballet/Dance news and information (post 155 on 7th Nov 15).

• Like 5

That's funny, I don't seem to be able to find any apology; and why would I find anything funny about hard work and low pay?

Before dismissing 'Doing Dance' I suggest that perhaps you might read the comments about this part of the forum made by Sim on the locked 'Osipova is back?' thread in 'Ballet/Dance news and information (post 155 on 7th Nov 15).

Ok Taxi4balletl you made a liar of me. by me posting again.

But ok. Here goes... You posted one sentence with a smiley, which had no context, and taken even factually was not supportive of the pay of ballet dancers.

Now, after many responses of you saying 'how dare I criticise' ' how dare I question?' you still have not really explained what you meant by your one liner.

I haven't apologised to you taxi directly because I find I have no reason. I have tried at length in 3 posts to explain what I meant, whilst you have been supported by other forum members and still as yet not elaborated on the meaning of your post, apart from 'it has a smiley at the end so its ok whatever I meant.'  I feel I have not been aggressive after my post saying that I felt that your salary comparison was cruel, silly, etc. My words I would not say are great, but they were already being used by someone in the forum about someone who asked 'do you drink a litre of cider each day?'.

Now in context, my family members include corps in the UK, and in Europe. Friends in Switzerland and Europe. All of which have trained longer than any other profession and are paid less. Their lives are not easy and on a financial level can be quite embarrassing to the levels they have to go to, even when senior members of a company. Oh and after the age of 30s they have to find another income without training.

So, in terms of supportiveness, happiness, and not having fear of posting our individual feelings or thoughts. I don't think I have tried to offend, or accuse, and I have added to this forum section about a present for a dance teacher. I also from my acquaintances post about my knowledge regarding the workings of events at senior level at top european companies in other parts of the forum.

TOI TOI TOI to your daughter Sir. 

• Like 1

Taxi .. I don't think anyone else was offended by your very true comment - it's reality that dancers are not paid well. Those who post of the forum or read it regularly understood the context of your smiley and I really wouldn't let this worry you or feel the need to justify yourself anymore.

• Like 13

Morning everyone!

Swiss Ballet Fan, it's always nice to see regular posters from other sections of the forum venturing across to Doing Dance, just as it is when Doing Dance regulars post in "Performances Seen" etc. We are, after all, one forum.

I do think on this occasion that you have misread a comment and overreacted by insulting taxi4ballet. I read her comment as supportive of Jorgie and the fact that Jorgie is now earning much more as a soap actress than she ever would have earned as a dancer is the upside of being told she was too overweight to be a classical dancer. A sort of "in your face" to whichever teacher told her she was too heavy.

I do not believe that Taxi was making a political point about dancers' pay, which we all agree is shockingly low compared to many professions.

I'm afraid by implying that Taxi was being "cruel" you have completely misread her intent, and therefore I do think a sincere apology for misunderstanding her would not go amiss.

I hope you do continue to post in Doing Dance and see that we are not at all "cut throat" here. This is an extremely supportive forum, but just as in all other sections, we do ask that posters are respectful to each other. The rules here are identical to the rules in "Performances seen". Had you misunderstood another poster's intent, and wrongly accused him/her of being cruel in any other section of the forum, I or another Moderator would have stepped in in exactly the same way.

Many thanks.

Edited for clarity.

• Like 10

Good morning all.

I unreservedly apologise for using the words I did to describe taxi4ballet's post, and accept that she did not mean it in the way I read it.

I appreciate how the Forum posters have supported her, I would however in some way, also would have appreciated a little more understanding about my view, but I will be more careful about the words I use in future.

Enjoy your Sundays

• Like 7

I was curious to see what Sim's comments were and I hope they won't mind me quoting but thought the words were too lovely not to share:

"For those of you who don't look at the Doing Dance section, it may be a salutary experience to do so. There, a supportive and friendly family has developed over the years. As moderators we are all touched and impressed with the support, advice and sharing of experiences that make up the main part of that forum area. THAT is the kind of respect that I am talking about."

Xx

• Like 11

Our dancers do get a shockingly low wage though and they are sometimes treated shockingly bad. My daughter last year went to an audition in London, the company was a small foreign one. The way they spoke to these young dancers was actually criminal, some were told they were too fat, British training was rubbish etc etc. my daughter was called back but chose not to go back as she was so upset. After all the insults the company actually selected British trained dancers, but even up to now their contract and start time has not appeared????? Not all companies are like this, we have some brilliant ones, but there are some appalling ones who treat their dancers so badly.

Hi all, what a storm in a teacup! Never did I imagine that an interpretation of a comment of mine could be so wide of the mark. :D

My take was that it was simply a variation on an "every cloud has a silver lining" comment.

Yes, that's more like it. Some may also think that perhaps she should stop moaning and thank her lucky stars - because if she had become a professional ballet dancer then she too would be earning a pittance.

• Like 3

Wow - all these years (OK, months) I've assumed Taxi was male!!!! ;-)

(probably for no better reason than I've never seen a female taxi-driver - even though I realise that she's [probably] not a licensed cabbie...)

Yes I'm definitely female!!! The 'Taxi' thing came about because I spent practically every evening at the wheel driving dd to and from ballet classes - although I'm a bit redundant now she's away. My petrol bill is next to nothing now :)

• Like 10

Ha! I was right!  I sort of presumed that you were a mum who spent her life chauffeuring kids to ballet, Taxi!  Well that was a load of misunderstandings - really glad it's sorted!  And what a nice compliment about this section and so true!  I am so pleased that Pas de Quatre introduced me to this forum - I love it!

Here's a little anecdote about dancer's wages - not company wages, but in panto about 45 years ago!  For my first panto we had 4 weeks of rehearsal.  We worked long hours and none of the corps dancers were paid anything. As Fairy Godmother and Principal Dancer I got about 7 pounds a week, which wasn't much, but better than nothing!  A year or two later Equity got the dancers rehearsal pay, so rehearsal time was cut to about 10 days and we worked until late at night to be ready on time.  Crazy! 

• Like 1