Prix de Lausanne 2016

allegro11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this

However when addressing personally ( eg not written) how would you then address the person!

The Chinese people I know always use their first name (Christian name) in everyday conversation! You don't address them by their family name first then!!

So perhaps for written purposes and forms etc it's surname first but definitely in the persons presence it would be first name terms!!

That made me laugh Pictures!! Thanks! I am obviously getting too caught up with it!

I just felt frustrated earlier in the week not being able to work out which way round some of the Chinese and Korean names were!! And didn't want to appear disrespectful to these talented young dancers xx

Yes I liked her contemporary too!! Sometimes one is splitting hairs with separating these contestants......like tenth of a second in athletics etc!!

I just wondered what you meant by this?

I find the name swapping v confusing. My very good friend explained to me all the above but then they still didn't stick to one way.

Hi balletqs what I meant by the splitting hairs expression that many candidates are of a very similar standard and level of performance so it must be a nightmare to have to judge them and decide who is better than another etc.

In the case of the Rite of Spring dancers they were all pretty good!! Personally I found it hard to separate those particular candidates and thought the UK girl was very good too. So trying to separate these candidates was difficult for me(though I'm not a qualified judge of course!) a bit like in Athletics when it's a more or less photo finish......they all appear to go over the line together to the human eye .....only technology can separate them by tenths .....and even hundredths of a second!!

I in fact only had a clear favourite or stand out candidate in the Rossini Cards piece (weird piece anyway!) and that was Laura Fernandez. I thought all the candidates who chose this piece were very brave.....much better to play safe with the Bow piece!

So for me the winner of the contemporary was probably going to come from this group and Laura definitely brought something extraordinary to the role for me ...so was glad she won this particular prize.

The Bow piece was lovely but more balletic than the other two pieces and therefore a bit safer! However I found it very difficult to decide who had danced this the best and am glad I wasn't a real judge!! Obviously the choreographer was there and probably had his favourites ......I wonder who he liked the best??

As I said in other posts a couple of dancers who didn't make it to the final 20 danced this very well I thought. But on the Finals day I couldn't have separated several of the dancers in this piece ...so a sort of "photo finish"

I hope that explains it for you.

I think the audience prize is a good one to win because this indicates who people would like to watch and not just based on technical ability necessarily.....though usually the candidate has to be pretty good there too.

I voted for Yu Hang ( western way round for name!!) because I voted for a male dancer last year and in the overall sense I thought the girls were better this year.

I do have a problem with the prize for best Swiss dancer but not sure whether for this thread or not!!

Does anyone know if the prelim round is available to watch online?

We tried to keep up via live streaming but it was impossible sitting in a car park outside dance school with the worst 3G data signal ever! :(

We've watched the finals but would love to go back and watch more especially Alexandra Oliff :)

• Like 1

OMG pas de quatre don't ask!!

I found the Prix website a right pain in the posterior!!

I think I was pretty sure that I was still trying to catch up with Pre selections from the Friday and then found myself in a section which allowed you to vote for the audience prize....not by design but by accident as it were at this point!! So I thought I'd better do it .....even though I hadn't watched the Finals at that point before I never saw this bit on the website ever again!! I have no idea whether it registered properly but think it did!!

At this point I hadn't seen Laura Fernandez or Madsion Young's pieces ....problem re finding place etc .....but had seen Yu Hang and Most of the others including Leroys contemporary but not his classical!!

Anyway I thought Yu Hang did the Bow piece really well as well (among others) and her classical was outstanding so went for her.

Later of course I saw Madison's Sleeping Beauty and loved that and of course Laura's contemporary. But I didn't catch up to finals day until the Sunday!

If I was giving one prize for classical it would still be Yu Hang ....one for contemporary still Laura Fernandez .....but would probably give the audience prize to Leroy on second thoughts ...once I had seen his classical!!

I think only retired people like me really have the time for all this!! And you have to be a bit of a fanatic as well of course there's a point when even I was getting "Bow'd out"

Then it's a bit like sitting on beds ......after a few it becomes harder to tell the difference!!

But I do love watching these young people when they are so enthusiastic still!!

• Like 1

It's called the Preselections and results on the website .....or was.

It runs for something like 8 hours....a clue ...but some of that time is nothing happening while they are deciding the results which come right at the end of nothing for ages!!

Worth watching but be warned its really hard to refind your place if you come out of the site!!

• Like 1

As a side note, I discovered recently that during the session on fitness and conditioning that the dancers took part in at the Prix, included the Ballet-Specific Aerobic Fitness Test that I choreographed, developed and tested during my PhD. Very proud!

• Like 23

Does anyone have an idea of the ticket prices to watch (as I'm daydreaming about next year) ?

The prices for the 2016 tickets can be found here:

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/competition/2016-tickets/

Of course, you have to add transport and accommodation costs etc. 

Next year's Prix will apparently be from 29th Jan. to 5th Feb. 2017, with the final on Saturday, 4th Feb.  

• 3 months later...

The prize winners' destinations have been published as follows:

1. Yu Hang -  Royal Ballet School

2. Maddison Young - Houston Ballet

3. Vincenzo Di Primo - Royal Ballet

4. Leroy Mokgatle - Dutch National Ballet Academy

5. Laura Fernandez - Will not use her prize as she has been hired by the Marinsky. The 5th Scholarship has been attributed to Seu Kim from South Korea who will go to the Royal Swedish Ballet.

6. Junnouke Nakamura - Canada's National Ballet School

7. Dingkai Bai -  Royal Ballet School

• Like 1

It is known to happen. The winners choose their destinations and it is just up to the director whether he or she extends an offer to more than one but they have to accept an award winner. Therefore Mr o Hare had to accept his apprentice. But it is done in order of award, so as the winner chose RBS she was guaranteed that and then any others choosing there weren't guaranteed.

I also know that 4 of the other female candidates are commencing at RBS US in September incl the female UK candidate and the Genee Bronze medal young lady - she recently won bronze at the YAGP too.

The Genee silver medal young lady is going to the Dutch National Academy.

Admin please edit this info if I have broken any rules. Thank you.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

One thing that has been bothering me is the name of the main winner which I will now say is Yu Hang.

The thing is on the Prix website they announced her as the winner like this

"Congratulations to hang YU and eg : for comparison ....madison YOUNG or ...."congratulations to Laura FERNANDEZ thus giving the impression that the surname is YU

However after a bit of investigation it seems that YU is a girls Christian name and means "jade" or "shining brightly"(definitely appropriate in her case!!)

So it should have read congratulations to Yu HANG

This name has been various ways round on different days on the website and Although I know some names not from a western cultural background are difficult sometimes I just think that for such a prestigious competition somebody should take the trouble to get the names correct for the Asian participants!!

Even Leroys surname was spelled incorrectly on one day!

Rant over but it did annoy me.

A little late but here's a bit of clarification re the Asian names.

Her surname is actually Yu (nothing to do with the character for jade) and her first name is Hang, which means flight in Chinese. In Asia, the surname usually comes before the first name so she's known as YU Hang back in China. 

Dingkai Bai's surname is Bai (it means white) and Junnouke Nakamura's surname is Nakamura (it means "middle village"). 

• Like 2

Thank you for that clarification rg8!!

I suppose it is difficult for organisers to know what to do ....put the surname first as would be in country of origin ...or turn it round to comply with western rules etc.

The main thing should be consistency I think choose one way or the other but not mix up which does cause confusion!

• 1 month later...

Exciting news posted on Instagram today. 

5 pupils from BW will be competing at the Genee in Australia this December (4 girls and 1 boy). 

Amazing achievement, will be watching with great interest. One of the girls I had watched at the SS weekend presentation, not realising that she had applied for the Genee,

Congratulations to them all for getting this far.  Fingers crossed that all their hard-work will be rewarded  :)

• Like 3