Prix de Lausanne 2016

allegro11

Where is there film of this candidate doing a classical variation? No 206? Is this from today's livestreaming....which haven't caught up with yet

Certainly didn't see him in Thursday's which have just seen. I caught some glimpses of him in the first contemporary piece( which I didn't like much to be honest) but haven't seen any classical yet.

Also it's much better to see the boys in the class centre work as they showed the girls on Wednesday .....showing the beginning of the barre when just warming up is no way to judge dance quality!! Very frustrating!

I was referring to his performance in the preliminary round.

The coverage of the boys from the live streaming earlier in the week wasn't very good. As you said, can't really tell anything from barre warm up and we saw them twice in contemporary class doing (the same) improvisation. Not the most interesting.

Completely agree! Feel we saw very little of the boys doing anything interesting. Perhaps because the boys were not as strong as the girls? Finals this afternoon though, and I'll be able to watch it live.

I think it was just a matter of what's going on at the time they were showing the live streaming and trying to show a bit of each group, but maybe they could have arranged it better so we didn't see boys doing improv twice for example.

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have found the "preselections" as they call it from their website.....all 8hours of it by the look of it!! But it's giving a wonderful picture of the dancers and how some really seem to come alive on stage who didn't show up,that much in class...very interesting. Just watched a wonderful chinese dancer but will have to look up name again. Just having a breather before watching the men's classical selections!!

It's interesting who they have put forward as finalists .....not always the obvious ones etc but I suppose they are looking at both the classical and contemporary dances and this may make a considerable difference.

Just going to look at the finalists names again as haven't seen today's actual final yet I think they are already announcing the winners in about an hour!!

• Like 1

Yu Hang is the Chinese dancer who looks like she is a finalist and another I liked from Japan Erina Yoshie also made it.

There are others not there on that list who I would have liked to see there but haven't watched the contemporary yet!

Loved the boys chosen as prize winners my absolute favourite was The Italian boy Who came 3rd and won the contemporary prize. Thought Laura Fernandez contemporary was outstanding. Thought on balance the girls ballet solos were nice but not outstanding. Though a couple of Japanese girls I liked most were not placed. All very interesting.

• Like 1

My favourites were Hang Yu,  Madison Young and Leroy Mokgatle who were placed 1st, 2nd & 4th, and Leroy also won the audience prize which I was sure he would.  So I felt the results were very fair, but of course everyone has their own opinions.

As a serious reply SarahW, contemporary improvisation is a skill often required. (Although perhaps not always interesting to watch).  In auditions it shows the audition panel whether the dancer has an internal life or is just a pre-programmed robot who can replicate steps.  Then if professionally employed, dancers are often given creative tasks by choreographers who are creating a new work on them. These days it is not enough just to be an excellent classical dancer. 

• Like 3

Yes I thought it was rather interesting results...  This year it looks as though a greater emphasis was on the potential (including the body type/hight) when selecting the prize winners,

Wonder if the jury make-up had something to do with it.

Crikey the prix de Lausanne website drives me insane!!

I've been watching all the dances from Friday but if you go out of the site it's really difficult to refind the preselections again.

Then when you've finally got them it's right back at the beginning!!

Then when you try to guide the cursor along a couple of hours where you left off it keeps slipping going to the end then going to,the beginning again grrr!! And then what appears to be four hours or so of nothing!!

Even the YouTube is a mess as videos from 2014 2015 and 2016 all come up all mixed up so you have to keep scrolling around to find what you want!!

Anyway I think I've seen most of the dances but think I've managed to miss two of the girls contemporary who got lost in the cursor problem and two good ones by all accounts Madison Young and Laura Fernandez but cannot face going back there again at the moment!

I loved both the classical and contemporary of Leroy Mokagtle I hope he wins a prize and decides to come to UK to train!! There was a lovely cheeky performance from Dingkai Bai( I've seen the name written both ways round now so unfortunately may have it the wrong way round) I thinks he is an emerging talent but on the whole the boys classical was not that strong this year. I liked the two boys who did the La Sylphide extract ...very good from them.

But I liked quite a few of the girls contemporary pieces and was disappointed the tall Australian girl (Lania Atkins) I think didn't get further and also Freya Wilkinson. But the stand out classical for me was Yu Hang though a couple of the Japanese and South Korean girls were good in both classical and contemporary.

Still haven't seen the finals ....I probably will watch but maybe with a large gin and tonic by the side to cope with viewing problems!!

• Like 3

Well have finally caught up with the finals and managed to see the two candidates I missed yesterday

It did not surprise me that Yu Hang won the main ballet prize I really liked her but also enjoyed Madison Young's Sleeping Beauty variation and again Erina Yoshie. After finally seeing Laura Fernandez I thought her contemporary was quite extraordinary .....she looked totally mad in this piece.....but drew me in completely.....but then all the girls who chose this piece were among the best I think. "Rossini Cards " Have never seen this piece before but very difficult to carry off and wondered if it's part of a larger piece. Wonderful dancing anyway. I don't know who I liked best in the Bow piece in the end ...probably Lania Atkins who didn't make it to,the final but Riley Lapham is another emerging talent so probably her and the Brazilian girl and Yu Hang were all excellent in it.

I also liked the Australian Brayden Galucci in his contemporary piece .....I think it was called in corpus Furia or a similar name ....Beethoven music ....not many chose this piece and I can see why .....another extraordinary talented dancer ....though I didn't enjoy any of the men's classical so much this year as last. I love Leroy as he just looks so joyous on the stage and is still very young ......please choose UK to train ....definitely want to see more of him and very glad Dingkai Bai or Bai Dingkai( sorry but even the website has it both ways round but probably the wrong way each time) also won a prize...a very engaging young dancer.

It was lovely to see Diana Vishneva ......such a brilliant dancer....contemporary or classical.....however I did feel for the audience in this instance as was difficult to tell when the piece was finally over!!

Glad it's all over now as it is a bit of a marathon but I think these young dancers are worth the effort .....though I'm definitely not flavour of the month with my partner at the moment ....he's fed up,with seeing me with my head stuck in my iPad.

• Like 1

I agree with much you say Linn - and I can visualise Leroy joining the Royal Ballet School and then graduating into the company, so I hope that is his choice.  The Colas solo was so good, imagine what it will be like when he is older!

The Diana Vishneva solo was not to my taste at all, and our streaming actually froze towards what I think was probably the end.  It had happened earlier in the transmission but then started again picking up where from where it had stopped, so I just thought it was a buffering problem.  However with Diana it had totally frozen so after a while I closed everything and logged on again, and by they were just starting the speeches.

• Like 1

I do love Diana but this solo went on just a bit too long I think. The way she uses her body is amazing (and she must be 40 or very nearly by now.... But sometimes less is more as they say and she had already said it all 2/3 of the way through!!

When you revisit her Carmen piece though which won her the prize all those years ago it's still virtually unbeatable!! Amazing technique.

I believe she was just 15 then!

I think all the young Prix dancers are so brave....to keep.their nerve when the world is watching but there is just something lovely about watching them when they are so enthusiastic and up for it all still! I nearly shed a tear when Leroy went up to get his prize!!

There are some fab uk dancers who are not allowed to compete. I am sure that young Joseph Sissens, who is in the 3rd year at Upper School, would have given them all more than a run for their money. students there are not allowed to compete. not a problem for young Joe as he already has had a few offers of contracts :)

• Like 2

I first saw him at Yorkshire summer ballet school and that was nearly three years ago now just after that he started at the Royal.

I'm not sure he was in the Royal Ballet School show last summer as was he injured then?

On the other hand I do have a memory of him performing in the Ashton number.

He was in a pas de quatre I think... But I couldn't get tickets as they had all gone when I tried to get one :( have booked my Holland Park ones for this year and will get the opera house one when paid.

:)

We'll be seeing a lot more of him from August on as he has accepted job with the company.

• Like 4

That's really good news thanks for that info!!

I was doing a bit of research on Leroy yesterday and found a delightful interview with him plus a piccie from when he won the Genee award which I completely missed last year. In the piccie he is standing next to two Aussie girls Lania Atkins and Mackensie Henson ....the latter who got to the finals at Prix as well.

I was pleased to see that Lania had won the silver medal at Genee as she was one of the dancers I had hoped would get to the finals at Prix.

I can't really tell their actual heights but both Leroy and Lania could have problems with height down the line from the opposite ends of the spectrum!.....in terms of Companies that is not dancing!! One can hope that Lania has now reached full height and Leroy may still add at least another inch or so before he is fully grown.

Companies are more accommodating these days in this respect and especially for exceptionally talented dancers so hopefully it won't hold either back in any way and if it does I might even start a campaign!!

• Like 1

Yes! And what he lacks in height he more than makes up for with that endearing charismatic stage presence and artistry, love watching him dance- Audience favourite at the genee and the prix I guess I'm not alone!

• Like 2

I agree Aklf!

I had only seen him dancing on stage initially and he has such a larger than life personality and thought what lovely long legs he had!! Only when I saw him standing at the prize giving did I see how small he was.

He does have a lovely proportioned body and he may well still be growing....boys don't often stop till they are 18 or so.

He may already be taller than Wayne Sleep who had a good career though didn't dance the princely roles.

There must be some extra small girls out there somewhere who are very talented!!

If Lania is 5 ft 10 ins that's the same as Maina Gielgud. Anyone here old enough to remember her (sorry) she was a very dramatic dancer and mainly danced with the Bejart company but had a good career as well.....just some roles may not suit such a tall dancer.

I cannot remember which ballet either Elite syncopations or the concert not sure which but Wayne Sleep use to do this hilarious pas de deux with Vergie Derman another tall one where the height difference was the comedy! Perhaps people wouldn't like this in our overly politically correct age but it was funny!

Yes I remember Maina Gielgud very well, having seen her on stage in many productions and often attended the same open professional classes. I am rather surprised at the figure 5ft 10ins though, I don't remember her as being that tall,

Elite Syncopations is still very much alive and well, I recently saw it by BRB on one of their split tours.

Edited by Pas de Quatre

Cannot find out Maina Gielguds height unfortunately but just had a nice hour catching up with what she has been doing all these years so enjoyed that.

Perhaps she was more 5ft 8ins (my own height) which back in the 70's was exceptionally tall for a dancer.

Anyway there are lots of companies in the USA which like taller dancers.

One dancer called Muriel Maffre was 5ft 10 ins. She started off at the Paris Opera School but they eventually threw her out when she got taller than their accepted regime.

She ended up dancing with the San Francisco ballet which is a very good company and the better you are the more chance of being offered roles not in the Corps. So I think Lana will be okay!!

I was rather hoping ENB might be interested.........

• Like 1

One thing that has been bothering me is the name of the main winner which I will now say is Yu Hang.

The thing is on the Prix website they announced her as the winner like this

"Congratulations to hang YU and eg : for comparison ....madison YOUNG or ...."congratulations to Laura FERNANDEZ thus giving the impression that the surname is YU

However after a bit of investigation it seems that YU is a girls Christian name and means "jade" or "shining brightly"(definitely appropriate in her case!!)

So it should have read congratulations to Yu HANG

This name has been various ways round on different days on the website and Although I know some names not from a western cultural background are difficult sometimes I just think that for such a prestigious competition somebody should take the trouble to get the names correct for the Asian participants!!

Even Leroys surname was spelled incorrectly on one day!

Rant over but it did annoy me.

I'd like to say a HUGE well done to Alex Oliff and her teachers. Her contemporary routine in particular was very strong and considering she was the only participant from a non vocational background, I think that she demonstrates one doesn't have to be in VT at 11 to have  success at 16. I'm sure that Alex gained lots from participating - what an amazing experience - bravo!!

• Like 11

Yes I liked her contemporary too!! Sometimes one is splitting hairs with separating these contestants......like tenth of a second in athletics etc!!

Yes Taxi I had thought of that but at different times on the website the name was written differently.

I believe when she received her prize on the day ( though only relying on memory here would have to check) they did say Yu Hang but then on Facebook later it was the other way around again!!

Same with Dingkai Bai! Though I believe this is Bai Dingkai!!

Either they should stick to one around or the other so we all know where we are with the name!!

It is difficult though and even some western names sometimes need a bit of consideration before you realise which is the surname and which is the Christian name or Family name and first name!!!