Prix de Lausanne 2016

allegro11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting, Allegro11. Interesting list with lots of South East Asian dancers. It would also be interesting to know the nationalities of those who did not get through to this stage to see the percentage of each nationality group that made it.

Thank you for posting, Allegro11. Interesting list with lots of South East Asian dancers. It would also be interesting to know the nationalities of those who did not get through to this stage to see the percentage of each nationality group that made it.

You can see that here.

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2016-candidates-nationalities.pdf

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the table on the left is everyone who sent in video applications.  The main table on the right is the list of those selected.  The small table at the bottom on the right is those who were selected at the live pre-selection auditions.  e.g.  3 girls and 1 boy applied from UK, 1 girl and the boy were selected.  

At this stage I think this is just the country where they are training.  Nearer the competition there is a list published of the country where individuals train and their nationality, which of course can be different. 

Just wondering out loud really, but does anyone know why more UK students don't enter?

Vocational schools don't normally enter pupils as preparation time is crucial and with full days already this is really difficult to fit in.

It is also very costly to compete … however this of course could be totally offset by a win, scholarship offer or even a contract 

Really excited for the UK candidate!! :D

There are 2 UK candidates!

It has been mentioned before that RBS do not enter candidates "due to the demands of their timetable" but Central have a candidate this year and have on previous years too. A girl from Ballet West competed last year and Elmhurst had a candidate (who won a prize) a few years back so some of the schools are obviously happy for students to enter.

As to why more don't enter, it's a good question. Cost might be a factor but thinking about the younger age group (15 and 16 year olds) that are competing for scholarships, 15 year olds are already under a lot of pressure with GCSEs as well as auditions for upper schools and 16 year olds have just started in the first year of upper schools so no time to prepare (plus, having secured a place already they'd only be entering in the hope of a scholarship and their current school might not be keen to prepare them only to lose them to another school!)

The older age group (17 and 18 year olds) are competing for contracts and because most (all?) of the upper school courses are 3 years long, many of the students would be too old to enter. 17 year olds would be only just starting their second year at the time they need to send their application, so presumably would not be deemed ready for  a professional contract.

I'm sure there are other reasons too, but it is a shame that there are not more UK entrants.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm really looking forward to this!

I hope they show more of the action in the live streaming this year. Last year they hauled past winners in for interviews and made them watch and comment on their variations which no one seemed happy to do! It was rather uncomfortable viewing watching them cringe at their performances!

​Have they published a list of the variations each candidate will perform yet? I can't seem to find it on the website but I think they published it early on last time.

I hope they show more of the action in the live streaming this year. Last year they hauled past winners in for interviews and made them watch and comment on their variations which no one seemed happy to do! It was rather uncomfortable viewing watching them cringe at their performances!

Yes, I would love to see more of the action than last year too.  

• Like 1

I caught the last 15 minutes. I'm sure I can see the whole thing on tube tomorrow but was looking forwards to it today.  

The girls I did see were all very good although some more watchable than others.  They must be so nervous, I dread to think how their mother's feel!

• Like 2

Look out for some of the dancers personal video blogs (is this a Vlog?!)

They were very good a couple of years ago but can't remember whether they still did them after the livestreaming started last year.

LinMM, I don't think they do video blogs any more, since last year.  I enjoyed the video blogs so much myself, pity they have scrapped that.  

The livestreaming (although I normally watch it later on youtube) is great as well, though,  I really love watching classes and coaching.

I also thought 314 was excellent, nice to see a different variation too, so many go for the 3rd act variation from Sleeping Beauty but I personally prefer the second act one and we haven't seen anyone do it in recent years. I was also very impressed with 318. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of this, I found it much more enjoyable than the male contemporary classes.

Did anyone see the live stream from today? Unfortunately I had to go out at that time but am looking forward to catching up on it tomorrow. What did they show?

• Like 1