English National Ballet - New Giselle (Akram Khan)

Hmm, I wouldn't accept this at face value. I think that a huge number of tickets are held back for VIPs, ENB's major donors and patrons of Sadler's Wells. Yesterday and this morning a large number of seats (82 in the stalls alone for one performance) have popped up for the triple bill which is opening on Thursday. The performances have been shown as sold out on and off for days. Almost entire rows of the better seats have suddenly become available. Of course, some seats may have been returned by the agencies but the upshot is that the performances have not actually sold out; tickets have been allocated to the agencies or held back by ENB and Sadler's Wells.

I obviously can't guarantee it but people who were disappointed not to get tickets for Giselle in September will probably be able to get tickets a few days before the run opens if this triple bill and previous performances of other works are indicative of what is happening 'behind the scenes' (if that doesn't sound too conspiratorial).

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It's many years since I've been to the Liverpool Empire and never for ballet. I'm thinking of going for the Akram Khan Giselle which I haven't yet seen. Compared with London, even top prices seem very reasonable. 

At Covent Garden I sit all over the place (and occasionally stand) but I get more out of a performance if I can see faces and acting as well as patterns. I'd be grateful for any advice about seating from forum members who know the theatre and how ballet comes across there. I see row A of the Front Circle has a visibility warning about the safety rail.  I wonder what would be preferable as between stalls and front circle and how the rake is in the stalls. Thanks in advance,

I'm not sure about what to advise for this.  I would usually go on row A in the stalls when that is the front row but this production has a raised flooring.

Further back may be better but the rake really only improves at about row L.

If you haven't seen this before just be away that no matter how close you are sitting it is difficult to identify dancers because of the lighting.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

And the official press release:

ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET AKRAM KHAN’S GISELLE COMES TO CINEMAS FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM 25 APRIL 2018

Running time 105 minutes / BBFC TBC / Released from 25 April 2018

Hailed as ‘a masterpiece of 21st century dance' from English National Ballet, Akram Khan’s Giselle is released in cinemas for the first time from 25 April 2018, thanks to a collaboration between English National Ballet and digital commissioning agency The Space, giving ballet fans nationwide the opportunity to see this award-winning production in glorious high definition on the big screen. Recognised as one of the greatest romantic ballets, Giselle has been re-imagined by celebrated choreographer Akram Khan, with Artistic Director and Lead Principal of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo, dancing the role of Giselle, one of a community of migrant workers cast out of their jobs in a condemned garment factory. 

His first full length ballet, Khan’s Giselle features set and costume designs from Academy Award-winning designer Tim Yip, known for his work on the hit film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and an adaptation of the original Adolphe Adam score by composer Vincenzo Lamagna, orchestrated by Music Director, Gavin Sutherland and performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. Giselle also features dramaturgy from Ruth Little and lighting design from Mark Henderson.

Alongside Rojo, further Principal casting sees Soloist James Streeter perform in the role of Albrecht, Guest Artist and Principal of American Ballet Theater Jeffrey Cirio perform as Hilarion, and Artist of the Company, Stina Quagebeur perform in the role of Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis. 

The ballet has won an Olivier Award and the South Bank Sky Arts Award for Dance, has received rapturous 5-star reviews and was sold out when performed at London's Sadler's Wells. This is the first time an English National Ballet production has been filmed for cinema, extending the reach of the company beyond its existing national and international touring programme. The film was commissioned by The Space, the digital agency which supports UK arts organisations to grow their audiences across digital, cinema and broadcast platforms.  

‘We are very proud of Akram Khan’s Giselle, a beautiful and original re-imagining of the one of the most traditional pieces of the classical repertoire. At English National Ballet we aim to push the boundaries of ballet, taking the art form to the widest possible audience, and so it seems entirely fitting that this stunning work should be the first production from English National Ballet to be released in cinemas. The company is incredibly excited that our fans across the country and around the world will have the opportunity to see this iconic work on the big screen.’
Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director, English National Ballet 

Filmed live at the Liverpool Empire in October 2017, Akram Khan’s Giselle is directed for the screen by Ross McGibbon.
Co-produced by Manchester International Festival and Sadler’s Wells. Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England. 

AKRAM KHAN’S GISELLE
IN CINEMAS FROM 25 APRIL 2018

For more information and to book cinema tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk/giselle-cinema
#ENBGiselle

NOTES TO EDITORS  
About English National Ballet
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet. www.ballet.org.uk

About Akram Khan Company
In just over fifteen years, Akram Khan Company has established itself as one of the foremost innovative dance companies in the world. Embracing an artistic vision that both respects and challenges Indian kathak form and contemporary dance, Akram Khan has created a substantial body of critically acclaimed work that ranges from classical and modern solos to artist-to-artist collaborations and company productions. The Company has a major international presence and enjoys busy tours that reach out to many cultures and peoples across the globe.
www.akramkhancompany.net

About More2Screen
More2Screen is a leading distributor of Event Cinema with an unparalleled reputation among its blue-chip partners for professionalism, responsiveness and the delivery of great cinema events to audiences around the world for a maximum commercial return.  Founded in 2006 by CEO Christine Costello, it has been a global pioneer in the harnessing of digital technology to bring the very best in live music, performance arts and cultural entertainment to local cinema audiences. In collaboration with its stellar list of long-standing content partners, M2S has acted as consultants, producers and worldwide distributors in bringing over 150 ‘special event’ productions to its network of more than 7,000 cinemas in 65+ international territories. Its extensive catalogue of world-class productions from across the cultural spectrum is second to none and includes many sector ‘firsts’. More2Screen is proud to have been named Global Box Office Award winners in 2014 and 2015 (Event Cinema Association), a Screen International Awards finalist in 2015, 2016 and 2017, and winners of the inaugural Best European Distributor award in 2015. 
www.more2screen.com

About The Space
The Space is a commissioning and development organisation, established by Arts Council England and the BBC to support greater digital access to the arts. The Space is committed to supporting and facilitating the UK arts sector to realise its digital ambitions. The organisation commissions arts projects and provides a production and distribution pipeline to ensure that these projects reach a wide and diverse range of audiences.
https://www.thespace.org/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I know, it's really annoying.  But even if it's not a live relay, maybe the broadcast is still being transmitted centrally, rather than sent round to the cinemas on DVD or whatever they use in normal instances?

Alison:  Somewhat to my surprise, that's what appears to happen.  About a month ago we went to Saffron Screen for a catch-up and it had to be re-scheduled as their link to the ROH was faulty that afternoon and could not be put right.  So not a DVD as I had assumed till then.

• Like 1

Well, I managed to get to a live relay last year only for the quality to be dreadful.  Went to the encore only to have exactly the same thing happen.  Manager was going to get on to the ROH to see if they could reschedule, but I guess they couldn't :(  Doesn't really explain the outliers scheduling-wise, though - including two S/E London Picturehouses picking other times.

• 5 weeks later...

Casting for Khan's Giselle on tour is now on the ENB website.

Dublin dates are:

2nd May: Takahashi/Streeter/Chacon

3rd May mat: Costa/Arrieta/Woolhouse

3rd May eve: 

4th May: Cojocaru/Hernandez/Saruhashi/

5th May mat: Cojocaru/Hernandez/ Saruhashi

6th May: Costa/Arrieta/Woolhouse

[No casting shown for Myrtha in Dublin]

Hong Kong dates are:

28th June: Cojocaru/Hernandez/ Quagebeur

29th June: Takahashi/Streeter/Kundi

30th June mat: Costa/Arrieta/Brouwers

30th June eve: Rojo/Hernandez/Quagebeur

[No casting shown for Hilarion in Hong Kong.]

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 08:55, bridiem said:

Since this isn't a live screening, I don't understand why they're all on the same date everywhere. I have another engagement that evening so I can't go, and it's only showing on that one evening.

I've just checked and there are a number of screenings of the Khan Giselle in May and June, (and one in August). They're scattered around the country.

Taunton Brewhouse Theatre June 1

Norwich Cinema City May 23

Crouch End Picturehouse May 23

Swansea Taliesin Arts Centre June 1

JW3 Finchley Road London August 12

Herne Bay Kavanagh June 18

Peterborough Key Theatre May 23

Bath Little Theatre May 23

Bradford Picturehouse at the National Media Museum May 23

Chesterfield Pomegranate May 1

Derby Quad May 3

Stratford Picturehouse London May 23

Stratford-upon-Avon PIcturehouse May 23

Cardigan Theatr Mwldan May 24

Bluith Wells Wyeside Arts Centre May 24

Norwich Cinema City May 23

Edited to add that I think I've got the dates right but do check with the cinemas concerned.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In July 2019 the ENB will show Akram Khan’s Giselle at the Chekhov Festival in Moscow.

http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic.php?t=8859

(«Жизель». Английский национальный балет. Музыка Винченцо Ламаньи по оригинальному балету Адольфа Адана; Режиссер и хореограф – Акрам Хан 
11, 12, 13 (у/в), 14 (у/в) июля; Новая сцена - Большой театр; от 750 до 15000 руб.)

• Like 1