English National Ballet - New Giselle (Akram Khan)

I think it should perhaps be pointed out that ENB probably has little - if any - influence over pricing here - be it for previews or the main performances as I would assume they are - outside of the Coliseum which I'm sure is a straight rental - be playing against some kind of guarantee or certainly a negotiated scheme.  

Once ENB move into their new facility in East London, the mighty Ms. Rojo has already spoken of - at long last - having the appropriate facilities to preview new works in-house.  At that point - should such be open to the general public - as opposed to just Friends - there might well be a reduction in price from the standard commercial notations.  At very least it would then be under ENB's specific sway. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were I a betting man ... I'd bet you anything that Cesar Corrales will be the Khan equivalent of 'a Hilarion figure' .... :)  That would definitely sell me a ticket or two :)  So looking forward to seeing this production.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Checking the Palace Theatre, Manchester website, I noted the following ticket prices for the Giselle previews and for the performances.

ENB Giselle – Palace Theatre Manchester ticket prices by price band.

Premium              Preview: £39.15                               Performance: £44.15 matinee/£49.15 evening

Band A                  Preview: £27.15-£32.15                 Performance: £32.15-£37.15/£37.15-£42.15

Band B                  Preview: £21.15-£26.15                 Performance: £27.15-£32.15/£31.15-£36.15

Band C                  Preview: £13.15-19.15                    Performance: £23.15-£32.15/£24.15-£29.15         

Band D                  Preview: £13.90                               Performance: £24.15 matinee/£24.15 evening

Band E                  Preview: £13.90                                Performance: £13.90 matinee/£13.90 evening

Plus up to £4 booking fee.

Currently seats in Stalls only for the preview dates.

Except for Band E, the discount is £5 or more for the preview dates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just booked a ticket to see this at The Mayflower Southampton because Sadlers Wells is completely sold out!!

I went to the rehearsal on Thursday .....well a demo and talk with Akram and the dancers.

It's definitely going to be VERY different though the second Act is on pointe it's going to be VERY contemporary in style as a whole.

Some of the music will be vaguely recognisable as the Adam score is being stretched in various ways is the best I can say.

The extracts we saw were intriguing and the initial meeting pas de deux of Giselle and Albrecht in Act one is really beautiful I thought though ABSOLUTELY different!!

But I just couldn't miss out on this Giselle so hence a bit dismayed when saw Sadlers was booked up so hence the Mayflower is next nearest

I've never been to this theatre before but will be arriving by train at Southampton Central. It looks fairly close on the map just wondering if anyone who knows the theatre can give some clues on walking from the station ......short cuts etc!!

I'm going to the matinee on the Thursday 27th October so expect there to be a lot of schools there especially as they are generously running workshops in the morning ( it is the half term week) but the dress circle seat was VERY reasonable!

Can't wait now. And anyone who is not sure whether to go I would definitely say PLEASE GO I think it is going to be an amazing experience.

I'm thinking of using the Great Western service Susan .....in the hope that they are not striking by then as well!!

It's an hourly service from Brighton to Cardiff.

Don't know when the last one goes through Sothampton yet for the return

If you book this performance perhaps we could meet up?

The great Western stops at Worthing on the way and trying to remember the next stop!!

I chose the Thursday over the Saturday matinee to eliminate engineering works which start to get more frequent in the Autumn at weekends though of course strikes are more likely on weekdays!!

I have no idea of casting but will be more than happy if it's the three dancers we saw on Thursday .....Madison Keesler as Giselle

James Streeter as Albrecht and Stina Quagebeur.

I'm thinking of using the Great Western service Susan .....in the hope that they are not striking by then as well!!

It's an hourly service from Brighton to Cardiff.

The Great Western service from Brighton is only a couple of times a day, not hourly.

Yes I've just been finding out!! Difficult to find this particular Great Western timetable as it uses part of Southern rails route.

I will see how expensive it is to go out on GW and back on Southern as I expect the return won't link up with a GW train!

May be a lot cheaper to do a Southern Return and pray there's no strike that week as I don't hold out much hope this dispute will be finished by then.

I'm hoping they won't strike in the half term week as they may affect less customers if strike that week!! But who knows!

South West Trains via Woking and Basingstoke provides a much faster and more frequent service between London and Southampton than Southern does.  I can't see if it's actually Cardiff you're coming from or somewhere en route, but you may find there is a way to do a homeward journey to Cardiff via Basingstoke and then over to Reading.

The Vestry is a nice place to eat nearly opposite the theatre.

RuthE I will be starting from Brighton!!

The more frequent service between Brighton and Southampton is run by Southern but there is also this occasional Great Western train which runs from Brighton via Southampton ...Salisbury. Bath ...Bristol ..to Cardiff!!

Anyway It's not going to be brilliant because I got my ticket today and they are working on the line ....even though it's a Thursday ....between Fratton and Southampton so it will be part train part bus and will take nearly 2 and 1/2 hours.

But as I get to Southampton at 11am I should be there in plenty of time which is main thing!!

• 2 months later...

From an email received earlier today:

"Akram Khan's Giselle returns in 2017

Returning to London by popular demand for six performances

Following its sensational 2016 world premiere and UK tour, Akram Khan’s Giselle – a ‘beautiful and intelligent remaking” (New York Times) – returns to Sadler's Wells, 20 – 23 September 2017.

The iconic story of love, betrayal and redemption has been given a haunting reinterpretation, with stunning costumes and set design by Academy Award winning designer Tim Yip (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), and stirring music by Vincenzo Lamagna adapted from the original Adolphe Adam score, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just to let you all know that I just went on the website to book some tickets and it would appear that the entire run is sold out already.    :(

I am totally gutted and hope that maybe they will release more tickets closer to the time. 

I am wondering if the tickets haven't officially gone on sale yet (although I managed to buy one a few weeks ago). I don't think that booking for the autumn period has opened yet. If I'm wrong about this then who has bought all the tickets? The ticket agencies? The performances were shown as sold out almost immediately.

I looked last month and everything was sold out. I know ENB is only doing a week (is it even a whole week?) of this production, but it's so disappointing that it seems to have sold so quickly. :(

Edited to add: Not even a whole week - Wednesday to Saturday.

I'm pasting in below a post I made last November:

I checked availability on the day booking opened and, for most performances, they had held back almost all the stalls tickets and also those in the first circle (apart from the two back rows) Something similar happened when booking opened for Romeo and Juliet at the RFH in August yet they later released some of the rows which had been held back. Very irritating for those of us who like to book early!

(http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13526-english-national-ballet-giselle-khan-autumn-2016/?p=191885)

Obviously I have no way of knowing for sure but I think it's very likely that some of these seats will eventually be released.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Just to let you all know that I just went on the website to book some tickets and it would appear that the entire run is sold out already.    :(

I am totally gutted and hope that maybe they will release more tickets closer to the time.

I asked at Sadler's yesterday if the ENB Giselle is actually sold out or if some tickets have been held back, and the guy at the box office said that it really is sold out.

Still worth checking for returns though :)

I strongly suspect that the agencies (Sadler's uses them as well) have taken a lot of the tickets. It's always worth keeping an eye out for returns for ENB productions as good (ie pricier) tickets often appear on the websites close to the performances. My pet theory (which I've mentioned before) is that a tranche of tickets is held back for ENB's major supporters and if any of the tickets are not wanted they are put back for sale on the website a day or two before the performance or even a few hours before. I believe that patrons of Sadler's Wells can also get tickets for apparently sold out performances and so a certain number of tickets must be reserved for them as well and, presumably, any unused tickets are put on sale as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...