Elmhurst upper school audition disappointment

Flexible Fred

Hi all, well had a disappointing start to the audition rounds yesterday.

Firstly as a man standing on my own it was great that other dancing moms took me under their wings and had a good chat to me.

We were allowed to watch the final 10 mins of the audition and my little girl looked uncomfortable, I think nerves got the better of her.

Don't think I was the only parent to feel like this after chatting afterwards it seemed a few thought their daughters had not performed great to get themselves noticed.

There were some amazing dancers there and noticed there seemed to be a lot of RBS associates.

She is very down and I'm not sure how to help.

How do elmhurst pick for finals is it pretty much down to who performs on the day ? Do they take nerves Into consideration if her barre work and technicality is good ?

Hi Fred, it is tough isn't it, when they don't feel they have done as well as they wanted to, but try not to worry.

When my dd auditioned last year I watched the last few minutes too, and you could tell that an awful lot of them (including mine) were really nervous! I'm sure the panel understands how much pressure everyone is under, and take that into account. 'Performing' well on the day isn't the be-all-and-end-all, there are so many other things they look for, and there really isn't any way of predicting who they will take through to finals.

Wishing your dd the very best of luck :)

• Like 3

The first audition is always the worst, not quite sure of what to expect, thinking everyone else is so much more confident. Nobody knows how they select the successful candidates or what it is each school is looking for. My own DD was unsuccessful at her first, offered a place after her 2nd, unsuccessful at her 3rd but the subsequently offered a place and successful and offered a DaDA at her fourth audition, where she's in her 2nd year. Your DD will find a way of dusting herself off and she just needs to focus on each audition as a class from a different teacher and try to relax enough to enjoy it then that should show in her dancing and her face.

How soon until her next audition? Wishing her the best of luck. x

• Like 1

My daughter was also there and although she was happy with her performance and felt she couldn't have done any more she said she was barely looked at at all. Even so, she really enjoyed the class and came away in high spirits, happy to have got the first audition over and already looking forward to the next one. She is very accepting of the fact that she's not what all the schools are looking for.

My daughter was also there and although she was happy with her performance and felt she couldn't have done any more she said she was barely looked at at all. Even so, she really enjoyed the class and came away in high spirits, happy to have got the first audition over and already looking forward to the next one. She is very accepting of the fact that she's not what all the schools are looking for.

Don't think your daughter wasn't noticed or looked at - they film everything at Elmhurst - good luck everyone
  • Like 1

Hopefully everyone will have done better than they think .

Can anyone tell me what level they thought the class was and how many were on the panel ?

My dd has done 2 auditions at Elmhurst and always looks like startled deer in that last 10 minutes when you watch.

Personally I think Elmhurst audition is more like a competition .Not having the confidence to bring herself forward , dd got herself boxed in by 2 girls who were all over the place .

Reading all your comments is making me nervous for her already and we are not there until after Chrostmas.

Good luck to All for the results .

• Like 1