carmen67

Hi all.

My DD is auditioning this year for entry to a BA in contemporary dance. I always keep an eye on this forum and it has been very informative for me and for her. I was wondering though does anyone know of any forums where they discuss contemporary dance as I know this one is mainly for ballet?

She will be auditioning for Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds, and Fontys and Codarts in the Netherlands. All advice or knowledge gratefully accepted!

And good luck to all setting off on this rollercoaster year! I am terrified myself!

• Like 1

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carmen67 - Sorry don't know of any more contemporary focused sites. Just curious as to why you aren't auditioning for LCDS or Laban. Also have you considered PARTS in Rotterdam?

Hi Pas de Quatre and thanks for your reply.

We are living in Ireland and English fees are so high that we really couldn't afford for her to live and train in London. We might just about stretch to Leeds. Also the foundation course in Leeds is free and the audition is the same for the BA and the foundation so it might be an option.

We have looked at PARTS. We don't really know anything about it and we do know a few people at the Dutch colleges. The website for PARTS is quite daunting too!! But it might be an option we could reconsider. We also do not want to do too many auditions as DD also has to study for her Leaving Certificate. She is young so the option of a year out next year preparing for auditions is available to her.

It's all so daunting! But she'll give it her best shot and we shall see! :)

Hi all.

My DD is auditioning this year too but for entry to a BA in contemporary dance. I always keep an eye on this forum and it has been very informative for me and for her. I was wondering though does anyone know of any forums where they discuss contemporary dance as I know this one is mainly for ballet?

She will be auditioning for Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds, and Fontys and Codarts in the Netherlands. All advice or knowledge gratefully accepted!

And good luck to all setting off on this rollercoaster year! I am terrified myself!

I can't help with the audition process for NSCD, but I can tell you that it is a fantastic school with wonderful facilities and great teaching staff.  My DD is on the CAT programme there and absolutely loves it.  When she auditioned the staff were very welcoming and want every auditionee to present their best so they put students at ease.  I'm sure that it will be the same for all their programmes.

There is also a lovely mix of students from all nationalities who are very pleasant with both the young students and their parents.

I can honestly say that my DD's experience so far at NSCD has been wonderful and the BA  student shows that she has watched have been fantastic.

Good luck to your DD.  

• Like 2

I can't help with the audition process for NSCD, but I can tell you that it is a fantastic school with wonderful facilities and great teaching staff.  My DD is on the CAT programme there and absolutely loves it.  When she auditioned the staff were very welcoming and want every auditionee to present their best so they put students at ease.  I'm sure that it will be the same for all their programmes.

There is also a lovely mix of students from all nationalities who are very pleasant with both the young students and their parents.

I can honestly say that my DD's experience so far at NSCD has been wonderful and the BA  student shows that she has watched have been fantastic.

Good luck to your DD.  

Thank you so much. that is lovely to hear! DD did the summer school there in 2014 and really loved it too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of DD perhaps doing a couple of auditions for next year for upper schools. How soon do people think applications should be submitted? On Rambert website form appears to be for last year, so do we wait for a newer version to appear? Advice much appreciated, thanks.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, this is my first post and new to the forum, so I'm hoping that I'm doing this all correctly.

I'm looking for some advice really if anyone can help out there? My daughter has an audition for Tring Sixth form this year. She wants/needs to be a dancer...so has put down that is her first choice however she has also put down musical theatre as her second choice for Tring. She is now worried that they may look down on the fact she has put 2 auditions down.....  and may not think she is serious enough to do the 'dance course' so will discount her..... My questions are do Tring take each audition on their individual merits i.e. look at the candidate for both separately regardless of whether they haven't auditioned for 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the sixth form courses or do they do a best fit approach i.e. she's not quite good enough for dance but we could give her MT...does that make sense? ... and if they do treat them separately do the results come out together or separate?... as my DD has her MT one in November and her Dance one in January....they seem quite far apart. I would hope they would look at every child on individual merit but do they have to balance the books and the courses? Is it the same panel of people that audition for both the MT and dance...  if she has a stinker of an audition in the first 1 would they hold that against her in the second? Do they find out on the day if they can be called back for a funding audition?

Wow lots of questions... sorry any help would be fantastic.... it's a bit stressful this auditioning stuff... thank you in advance.

I've started this thread in order to separate the general "Auditions 2016" into "Lower School Auditions 2016" and "Upper School Auditions 2016" as the thread was getting a little mixed. Please use the two pinned threads at the top of the forum for general audition questions, and keep specific 2016 questions, feedback and results to the 2016 threads. That way newcomers can find information more easily. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello Okiepie123. I will offer what experience I have, although my ds is training at Tring, he is not in the upper school.

When ds auditioned for year 10 he was really unsure of where his talents lay and on advice from a friend who teaches there, we decided to let him audition for both dance and performance arts (MT). These were 2 Separate auditions with completely different audition panels. He was offered a funding/second audition for both (sorry, no instant notification, we had to wait weeks to hear if he'd got to the next stage). 2 separate letters, at 2 separate times.

Having spoken to the head of dance we were aware she liked people to know what they want - ie if you really want to dance then you don't want to be hedging your bets with MT. At the stage of getting through to both second auditions my ds decided that he really wanted to give dance his 100% attention, so I rang the school to tell them that he would not be attending for the MT second audition.

In summary, I don't think it will matter for first auditions if dd does both auditions but if she gets through both, I'd choose just to go to dance second audition. Of course there is nothing stopping you from ringing the school now and telling them that she has decided she only wants to audition for dance - they really won't mind and they will have plenty of people they can offer that audition to.

• Like 3

Although my dd is younger she also auditioned for both MT course and Dance course at Tring last year. The auditions were completely separate with a different panel each time and offer letters were sent to us separately. The only thing that did confuse me was that she was told she didn't need to sing for her dance audition as she had already done that at the MT audition, so I guess that shows there must be some communication between the two departments?

• Like 1

Also worth bearing in mind is that if there is time, you can choose to sing and/or play an instrument at Dance auditions at Tring. People auditioning for the Dance course have been known to be offered places on the Musical Theatre strand if it is felt they are more suited to MT.

If Finance is a consideration don't forget that DaDa awards are only given to those on the Dance Course at Tring.

• Like 1

You aren't expected to sing at the Tring dance audition anyway, it is an optional extra that you can choose to sing or play an instrument if you wish, so if you have already done so at another audition there is no need to do that again.

Edited to add: posting at the same time as Anna!

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

You aren't expected to sing at the Tring dance audition anyway, it is an optional extra that you can choose to sing or play an instrument if you wish, so if you have already done so at another audition there is no need to do that again.

Edited to add: posting at the same time as Anna!

Ha! I was just about to say "posting at the same time as taxi"!

• Like 3

Thank you so much everyone. That's has been invaluable advice. Phew what a relief I found you all. One last question if ok - for the dance audition it says only 1 min long are they very strict on that? It seems really short...? Xx

for the dance audition it says only 1 min long are they very strict on that? It seems really short...? Xx

That's all they want and can see everything they need to in That time. They have a very busy audition schedule and a lot of students to see. I'm sure a few seconds either way won't matter though.

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 2

I was wondering if people had put in their applications for schools yet? What seems to be the right time? For example Rambert don't start auditioning until February but some others such as performers start in November?? Would maybe mid October be a good time to send off all the forms??

Littlebalerina, in 2010, for September 2011 entry, I sent my DS entries to the five schools that he chose to audition at, during mid October, so the end of next week.

It took hours to fill in all the forms, get the correct pictures and make sure everything was signed and dated correctly. It was quite a production line.

We used 6" x 4" photos and a cropped picture of him smiling for the passport photo as it got used at Central, with everybody's face shot on a couple of sheets for any staff to look at and check a name to a face.

Good luck with your applications.

• Like 2

Littlebalerina, in 2010, for September 2011 entry, I sent my DS entries to the five schools that he chose to audition at, during mid October, so the end of next week.

It took hours to fill in all the forms, get the correct pictures and make sure everything was signed and dated correctly. It was quite a production line.

We used 6" x 4" photos and a cropped picture of him smiling for the passport photo as it got used at Central, with everybody's face shot on a couple of sheets for any staff to look at and check a name to a face.

Good luck with your applications.

Thank you lottie!! It's hard as I don't want to have auditions too early/before christmas but also don't want to miss out anywhere!!

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I remember, the numbers of DADAs available isn't a finite number of places per school, it is dependent on how much is awarded to each successful applicant calculated on a sliding scale based on their family income. So the number of places awarded with funding will be different each year.

Each school has a set amount from the Government and the DADAs are awarded on merit starting at the top of the list, and working down until the pot runs out.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1