When is it time to change dance schools?

taxi4ballet

On the corrections thing- I think praise is neccesary as is corrections but if you want to be productive and get somewhere you need the corrections more so than the praise. The praise comes when everything has been corrected.

Praise can be a correction as Taxi4Ballet has indicated.

If you wait to praise "when everything has been corrected" - that's probably close to never. There is always something else that needs to be corrected - it could be years till the student hears a word of praise.

Why should we be afraid to give some praise?

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 2

If you wait to praise "when everything has been corrected" - that's probably close to never. There is always something else that needs to be corrected - it could be years till the student hears a word of praise.

Absolutely! This is dd's teacher exactly - have you met her, Anjuli?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know - problem solved, thank goodness.

We've found two lovely schools which are happy to work with one another, and between them they can offer dd all the classes she needs.

It's such a relief, and thanks to everyone on the forum for all your helpful advice.

• Like 7

Great news! So many teachers/directors/choreographers etc in the field of dance seem to operate out of a culture of fear rather than praise... I believe that happier dancers perform better and like Anjuli said, there are ways to give corrections (or 'feedback' as I was trained to say....) to emphasise the positive too.

Think about Strictly Come Dancing!... Len Goodman always finds something positive to say, and will also give feedback to the dancers as to what they need to work on.