Competitions

YellowCar

Hi my DD does some. Probably best to contact All England Dance and see if there is any advice for private entrants. Depending where you live would be good to watch some festivals to see what happens before starting. Would give an idea of level, costume style etc as there are rules to be aware of. You would need to know what length music is required for that age group etc. Also probably best to check the local teacher would be happy with all this in case there is a reason she doesn't do them!

It is up to each individual festival who can enter. Contact the festivals you are interested in to ask that question. They will also be able t send you their rules which are often n their websites. Have fun!! Remember that not all festivals are All England ones.

Heather

Aka Taximom

Of course you would also need someone to choreograph the dances and somewhere to rehearse. I would ask her teacher if she would be prepared to give your daughter private lessons for that purpose or at the very least to get her permission. I know I would be rather "miffed" if one of my pupils entered on her own accord. After all it is the training she gets at her dance school, which presumably enables her to be able to dance well.

The teacher knows she wants to do competitions and she is not the only child who wants to so I don't think she would object. She has considered moving schools to be able to do this but her loyalty remains with her teacher. She really just wants opportunities to perform more I personally think it could potentially be a very negative experience going it alone without the moral support of dance friends but I have promised to look into it for her ????

My first thought was also about choreography & rehearsal & coaching. It would be completely unethical to enter independently using choreography learnt at her studio taught by her teacher, for example. So you'd need to be prepared to pay a decent rate for a choreographer's skills and also for coaching. This could be up to £50 an hour for a freelancer.

• Like 1

Is your dd's school an RAD school, Yellowcar? If so, the RAD runs its own regional competitions which could be a good taster without having to enter independently. I'm thinking of things like the Genée Dance Challenge or regional awards days.

I'm not sure whether ISTD runs similar comps but I think IDTA does - might be worth considering as a less troublesome alternative?

Yes we are an RAD school and her teacher would give her private lessons and choreograph a dance for her but doesn't want to do comps as a school for her own personal reasons which I do not question. Under no circumstances would we ever consider stealing her dances!

• Like 1

Yes we are an RAD school and her teacher would give her private lessons and choreograph a dance for her but doesn't want to do comps as a school for her own personal reasons which I do not question. Under no circumstances would we ever consider stealing her dances!

Fair enough. :-) I can understand schools not wanting to compete in Festivals but RAD competitions are a different kettle of fish and a lovely experience for students. Could you perhaps ask her about RAD awards days in your area and get her thoughts on those?