Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Well done to your ds Principito. I am much more nervous than my son.

I have another question (sorry). My ds has been working really hard on his flexibility and has made some great improvements. He has been trying particularly hard to get his front splits. They are so much better although he isn't quite down. However he does quite bit of stretching before hand just to get to there. In the audition will they do proper stretching before they have to demonstrate any of these things (just wondering if we should stretch before or not)? Thanks again

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a chance do warm up before audition but avoid stretching without a warm up. They do half of the class (barre) before they ask them to do splits etc. And don't worry too much, half (if not more) year 7 boys currently at Elmhurst can't do splits.

Well done to your ds Principito. I am much more nervous than my son.

I have another question (sorry). My ds has been working really hard on his flexibility and has made some great improvements. He has been trying particularly hard to get his front splits. They are so much better although he isn't quite down. However he does quite bit of stretching before hand just to get to there. In the audition will they do proper stretching before they have to demonstrate any of these things (just wondering if we should stretch before or not)? Thanks again

They won't ask for splits till they are well warmed up later on toward the end of the class , and don't worry , they are looking for potential to get to splits - quite a few boys even in year 8 did not have all 3 splits yet !

I would like to wish good luck to all dancers attending Elmhurst in the next few days. My little man was lucky to be offered WL earlier in the week, so we decided that it wouldn't be right attending any other auditions. Hope you all sparkle!! x

Congratulations on your son getting into White Lodge,Principito.

They won't ask for splits till they are well warmed up later on toward the end of the class , and don't worry , they are looking for potential to get to splits - quite a few boys even in year 8 did not have all 3 splits yet !

My son still wasn't in flat splits by the time he graduated from Elmhurst - really don't worry about it - there are plenty of other things they're looking for.  The main thing is to show how much he loves it

• Like 2

If you have a WL offer which you plan to accept, it seems unfair to go to other auditions and waste everyone's time. Assessors will spend time assessing a child who has already decided to go elsewhere when they could be spending more time assessing the children who really want the place.

I agree with @tabitha. If you already got offer for your 1st choice, then is better to give other children to have a last (for some) and only chance. We got 'yes' today for Wl and cancelled other audition, as Wl was our 1st choice, full stop.

Congratulations for other yes'es. Don't give up for very talented DC with 'no'! And a lot of good luck for those who have further auditions!

I just want to thank the dancing parents and their children who have decided (after achieving the utterly fabulous ‘yes’ from WL and are 100% they want to go there) not to go onto Elmhurst, Hammond's etc final auditions. My dd is personally greatly relieved and grateful as she is fully aware that if the remaining schools also choose the WL children, she and others could be pushed down the pecking order to reserve list or ‘no’.  Lots of people have kindly mentioned that there is a lot of movement on the schools’ reserves lists which is very reassuring, but there can be no movement for the dc who have received a ‘no’.  She also said herself that surely it's a bit weird for a school to be full of what she called 'the second bests' :( 

Good luck to all still to audition at the remaining schools, fingers crossed for those on reserve lists and massive congratulations to those with their dream 'yes's. :) 

• Like 4

I think it should be remembered that not all children successful at WL will necessarily get a place at Elmhurst, Hammond and Tring.

None of those awarded places at any school is 'second best' they are all highly talented individuals who are selected for their best fit school.

• Like 11

It is true that we can't say that DC with the WL places are "the best" and Tring/Elmhurst/Hammond are "second best". I think there is a DD on the forum who got in to WL but didnt even get Finals at Elmhurst and I know of one who didn't get Place at Tring but also got in to WL. The schools are looking for different things. everybody who got to finals at any of the schools has done really well.

• Like 10

Feel free to correct me anyone but a no is a no regardless of how good a rival is perceived .

If your child has everything a school is looking for they will either be offered a place outright or be placed on a waiting list .

All 4 MDS schools differ in that at Tring and Hammond you know if you definetly have a place and only go back for funding.

Hammond offer very generous bursaries that can work out cheaper than your MDS contribution.

Massive good luck to all attending finals for Lower and Upper schools this month

• Like 2

There are so many stories where children have gone to Hammond, Tring, Elmhurst, YDA, Kate Siimmons etc or remained at home for lower school and have gone onto some amazing dance careers in some of the world's best ballet companies.  WL is a fantastic achievement but maybe at the age of 10 your child may not be just what they are looking.  Children change so much from 10 - 16 years.  

• Like 4

With WL it is a Yes or a No with a small handful of waiting list places....the year my DD auditioned for a yr8 place, she got waiting list, my dh phoned and she was the only one on it but of course no one turned their places down and despite my DD asking why they couldn't just buy another bed, they hadn't yet gone down the buy a bunk bed route ???? Not to worry, she is quite happy where she is now and its nice to know she was close. That same year, she got a straight No from Elmhurst finals. So you can never second guess what they are looking for, a no at one school doesn't mean a no at the next one...nor does a Yes or a maybe!! So good luck to all your dc at their next auditions, put your disappointment behind you and go in there and shine....we are of the more than one road to Rome camp and always joke that fore mentioned dd is on the scenic route ???? enjoy the journey xx

• Like 13

Yes, wishing all the boys auditioning today for Elmhurst who long to go there, get the good news they are hoping for!!

My DD is so excited about just being back at the school tomorrow, she loved it so much when we visited for the initial auditions.

It seems a wonderful place for children to study at, and provides top notch ballet training.

Fingers crossed for you all and let us know how it went.

x

• Like 6

I'm really looking forward to seeing Elmhurst tomorrow.  My dh took my little girl last time and I haven't seen it yet.  Good luck to the boys! Does anyone know how long after the final audition the results come out and do they send an email or letter?  Good luck to all going for it.

• Like 2

Well we are home from Elmhurst. DS had a great day and loved the school. There were definitely a few there who had been offered WL but still came because they apparently prefer Elmhurst - goes to show it is definitely not a second best.

Only another week to wait now and we will hopefully have decided our lives from September. DS has been offered a place at our local grammar school so whatever the outcome he will be going to an excellent secondary.

They all looked so fantastic today. Good luck for tomorrow.

• Like 3

Well done to the boys who were at Elmhurst today.

DD is currently stretching in Gramps' front room (he lives 10 mins from Elmhurst, what luck!), she is so excited about tomorrow.

Only a week seems ok to wait for results. Before easter then!

Good luck to all the girls who will be there tomorrow.

Hopefully we will be hearing good news for a lot of lovely balletco DC soon.

Oh, and DD got a yes from YDA today!!

• Like 9

Can anyone please explain to me how assessing out works at Elmhurst?  For example, what years do they assess out in, how many typically leave, and what does the assessing out procedure mean.  For example, are they "just" asked to leave or is the MDS removed (which amounts to the same thing for most of us I guess).  

Thank you!