Review - Paris Opéra Ballet, Manon: Rachel Mann, DanceTabs

Review - Paris Opéra Ballet, Roméo et Juliette: Rachel Mann, DanceTabs

Review - The Royal Ballet, Ballo della Regina, La Sylphide:

Luke Jennings, The Observer

Jenny Gilbert, The Independent on Sunday

Review - Matthew Bourne, Early Adventures:

Luke Jennings, The Observer

Jenny Gilbert, The Independent on Sunday

Who's afraid of Pina Bausch? Peter Aspden talks to Alistair Spalding and Clement Crisp: (podcast) Financial Times

Review - San Francisco International Arts Festival: Rita Felciano, DanceviewTimes

Review - Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Barcelona Ballet “technically bankrupt”: Carmen de Val, Roger Salas, El País (Google translation)

10 Dance Tweeters To Know Right Now: Huffington Post

A Spacesuit Ballet - NASA Spacesuit Tests: (video) Geeks are Sexy

Review - Northern Ballet, I Got Rhythm, Leeds: Charles Hutchinson, The Press

Links – Monday May 28, 2012

Review - Matthew Bourne, Early Adventures: 4 stars, Clement Crisp, Financial Times

Review - DanceAfrica 2012 festival, New York: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Jodee Nimerichter and the American Dance Festival: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Interview - Ohad Naharin, Batsheva Dance Company: Zachary Whittenburg, movement research

My Muse and Me - Lauren Cuthbertson & Christopher Wheeldon: Laura Barnett, The Guardian

Review - Ayikodans (Hawaiian dance troupe), Miami: Jordan Levin, Miami Herald

A Coppélia quiz: Rebecca Ritzel, Washington Post

Answering back to the critics: Mark Shenton, The Stage

Links – Tuesday May 29, 2012

Review - San Francisco International Dance Festival, 12 companies: Aimee Tsao, DanceTabs

Review - Marie Taglioni, La Sylphide: Queen Victoria, The Journals

Hard times for Barcelona Ballet: Lola Ramirez, Ballet y más

Benois de la Danse awards: Raymond Stults, Moscow Times

Review - Festival TransAmériques, Guilherme Botelho, Sideways Rain, Montreal: Paula Citron, Globe and Mail

News from Queensland & New Zealand: Valerie Lawson, Dancelines

James Penberthy and Kira Bousloff, founders of West Australian Ballet: Ron Banks, The West Australian

John: Your ability to extract esoterica, nay exotica, from the aether never fails to astound. And so we know that the Imperatrix appears not to have considered Mme Taglioni as 'air-mailed laundry' in "La Sylphide" - and perhaps we also see an example of the circumstances that convinced Miss Rojo to seek a Directorship elsewhere than in Spain?

• Like 1

Well we can thank Christopher Hampson for tweeting about the Queen-Empress.

You're right. Tamara Rojo has been on record several times expressing her reluctance to get involved in running a company in Spain in the absence of funding through some Arts Council like organisation, independent of government, national or local. These events with Barcelona Ballet seem to be proving her judgment a sensible one. It'll be a terrible shame and a national humiliation if the company collapses.

• Like 1

Good to have something in comprehensible English about the situation, thanks, John, but I agree with your comments. I suspect it will set classical ballet in Spain still further back than it currently is.

Links – Wednesday May 30, 2012

Review - American Ballet Theatre, La Bayadère (5 performances!): Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Royal Swedish Ballet, La Sylphide: Gerald Dowler, Financial Times

Review - The Royal Ballet, La Sylphide: David Bellan, Oxford Times

Preview - Breaking Pointe, US reality tv series about Ballet West: Rebecca Milzoff, New York Times

Preview - Wah! Wah! Girls, Bollywood dance comes to London (video): Judith Mackrell & Gauri Sharma Tripathi, The Guardian

Preview - San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival: Rita Felciano, San Francisco Bay Guardian

Preview - David Gordon does Pirandello: Gia Kourlas, TimeOut New York

Preview - National Ballet of Canada, Hamlet: Richard Ouzounian, Toronto Star

Keenan Kampa, American dancer joins the Mariinsky Ballet: Janet Rems, FairfaxTimes

Review - Company Chameleon, Gameshow, London: Misa Brzezicki, LondonDance

Books remembered - Noel Streatfield’s Ballet Shoes: Tobi Tobias, ArtsJournal

Dance (and bullfights) in Spain: Rachel Straus, musicalamerica

Matthew Lawrence - BRB dancer choreographs for Olympic gymnast: DanceTabs

Review - Ballet Manila, Swan Lake: Rosalinda L. Orosa, Philippine Star

Preview - BBC’s Imagine, Dancing with Titian, RB & National Gallery collaboration: BBC press release

Links – Thursday May 31, 2012

Review - American Ballet Theatre, The Bright Stream, NY:

Brian Seibert,
New York Times

Marina Harss,
The Faster Times

Leigh Witchel,
New York Post

Review - Bolshoi Ballet, Coppélia, Washington:

Alastair Macaulay,
New York Times

Sarah Kaufman,
Washington Post

Review - New York City Ballet, Double Feature: Marina Harss, The Faster Times

Zora Semberova, the original Juliet: Valerie Lawson, Dancelines

Review - Danza Contemporanea de Cuba, triple bill, London:

2 stars, Clement Crisp,
Financial Times

3 stars, Clifford Bishop,
Evening Standard

Graham Watts,
LondonDance

Gerald Dowler,
Classical Source

Review - Scott Wells & Dancers, At Ease, Parkour Deux, San Francisco:

Aimee Tsao,
DanceTabs

Paul Parish,
Bay Area Reporter

Review - LINK, Slack, Sweet Fields, Perth: Rita Clarke, The Australian

Preview - National Ballet of Canada, Hamlet: Kathleen Smith, NowToronto

Preview - San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival: Allan Ulrich, San Francisco Chronicle

Links – Friday June 1, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3: Apollinaire Scherr, Financial Times

Review - American Ballet Theatre, La Bayadère: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Preview - Pina Bausch, World Cities, London: Rosyln Sulcas, New York Times, Slideshow

Preview - David Gordon, Beginning of the End of the ... : Rebecca Milzoff, New York Times

Kenneth MacMillan, Desert Island Disks from 1983: BBC podcast

TV review - Breaking Pointe:

Carrie Seidman,
Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Brian Tallerico,
HollywoodChicago

Interview - Lucien Postlewaite, Pacific Northwest Ballet: Alice Kaderlan, Crosscut

Steven McRae performs in 7 countries: Will Fitzgibbon, Australian Times

Film review - Joffrey - Mavericks of American Dance: Moira Macdonald, Seattle Times

Have just listened to Kenneth MacMillan on 'Desert Island Disks' - what a find, John! I was surprised at KMc's ease and the straightforwardness of his account of his career, and - despite the plumminess of his accent - at Roy Plomlely's pleasantly laid-back interviewing style.. Loved KM's 'Madame' stories, and enjoyed his romantic 'Misty' story.

I wish the BBC would let us hear re-runs of other dancers/choreographers on DID - I believe Madame herself was the subject of one programme and if Fonteyn and Ashton weren't also subjects they certainly ought to have been!

Steven McRae performs in 7 countries: Will Fitzgibbon, Australian Times

I *thought* that was a bit extreme, even by his standards, until I actually read the article :)

John, that archive sounds wonderful. It'll give me something to do if I have any free time over the Bank Holiday (which I hope I will). Thanks very much.

Links – Saturday June 2, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, triple bill: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - American Ballet Theatre, The Bright Stream: Mary Cargill, DanceviewTimes

Preview - The Royal Ballet, The Prince of the Pagodas: Jessica Duchen, The Independent

FT Masterclass - Ballet with Marianela Nuñez: Jeremy Taylor, Financial Times

Review - Wah! Wah! Girls, London: Tanika Gupta, Evening Standard

Review - Bolshoi Ballet, Jewels + preview of Los Angeles visit: Lewis Segal, Los Angeles Times

Review - Danza Contemporánea de Cuba, London: 3 stars, Sanjoy Roy, The Guardian

Review - La Tania Baile Flamenco, Esencia, Despertar es un Color, San Francisco: Aimee Tsao, DanceTabs

Review - Ian Spencer Bell Dance, Socket: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Interview - Julia Carruthers, director of the Dublin Dance Festival: LondonDance

Interview - Bob Hercules, director of Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance: Moira Macdonald, Seattle Times

This Week’s New Dance (London) - RB Prince of the Pagodas; Pina Bausch World Cities: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

and I have just received an e-mail which I think talks about 6% discount if one subscribes for the 12/13 season of Het National - booking opening soon - unfortunately I don't understand Dutch - if there is a press release or something to read giving more info about this, are you wizards able to see if there is a link to something in English please - many thanks for all the hard work as always

Tim: If you go to the Company website, you'll find an English translation button for the site at bottom left. For 'Subscriptions', that appears to give you English text followed by Dutch:

http://www.het-ballet.nl/en/tickets/subscriptions/series-subscriptions/

.... but no sign of anything about 6% that I can see.

Thanks so much - I have read it thro & it looks as though it must have been notifying the opening date of general booking for the 12/13 season - I am still living in about 2010 - the subscription booking period which says it gives 10% discount has already closed - it also appears there are lots of little add-ons and cancellations of concessions so seems very complicated aaah me!

Just got an email through from The Times to say that this weekend access to the website is available to all: time to catch up with everything you've been missing?

Well, it'd be very nice if it actually worked. Has anyone managed to persuade it, because it doesn't work for me, on either browser? I'm logged in, but the site won't let me past the Subscribe page.

A friend has just sent me a link to a fascinating video clip on the New York Times website. It is entitled, 'Dancing with Swans' and this title is an exact description of the clip!

http://video.nytimes...2313/index.html

I did look to see if the link had already been posted and didn't find it. Apologies if it has, indeed, been posted already.

Edited to add that I'd forgotten to say that there's a brief advert before the clip starts.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

That reminds me: whisper it very quietly so that the Powers that Be don't get to hear about it, but I managed to get 15 separate links from here open from the NYT at the end of last month: and this despite the monthly limit of 10 which is supposedly in place without paying a subscription. So I guess that something I saw a while ago on Ballet Talk is true and that it doesn't apply when you're sent to the page via a link from somewhere else. So even more thanks to Ian and John, and to everyone else who's contributed NYT links.

• Like 1