EYB Sleeping Beauty Stevenage

thewinelake

Yeah I realized that pointe work was easy on Friday and Saturday then on Sunday we were suddenly hit with a load of pointe work.

I made a list of Some of the Many Restaurants in one of the leisure parks:

Chiquitos

Franky and Benny's

Nando s

Coast to Coast

An Italian place which I can't remember the name of

A Thai and Indian place which again I don't remember the name but I haven't been there

And the usual KFC and McDonalds

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got gel tips and wore them this weekend but i don't think they made any difference whatsoever :( i think my feet did cope a bit better this weekend though! thinking i'm going to have to give in and go and have another pointe fitting, my poor bank balance D:

I think it would be a good idea to have a spare pair for the run of performances. And if you are doing more pointe you may find you need a different shoe now as foot may have changed.

• Like 1

Yeah I realized that pointe work was easy on Friday and Saturday then on Sunday we were suddenly hit with a load of pointe work.

I made a list of Some of the Many Restaurants in one of the leisure parks:

Chiquitos

Franky and Benny's

Nando s

Coast to Coast

An Italian place which I can't remember the name of

A Thai and Indian place which again I don't remember the name but I haven't been there

And the usual KFC and McDonalds

think the Italian is ASK :)

• Like 1

I guess those of you doing it will have been in the local papers a week or two ago? Please share the links (if that's OK)... Ours have, but they got the names/schools the wrong way around! I mentioned this to their ballet teacher who said "oh, they always did that when I sent in press releases, so I don't bother any more!". I don't see how that's even possible - surely press-releases are just copied from the original, and so EYB must have muddled it up? Or do papers monkey with press-releases to get them down to the right length - and this is just collateral damage?

I wouldn't necessarily assume that EYB have got things wrong. If your local paper is anything like ours it could well be them. I have given info about my DD to the local press myself, even spelling her name out, and it's still appeared in print incorrectly. Obviously I can't say for certain, but my own experience is that Ben and co at EYB are pretty efficient, and local journalists are less so!

• Like 2

all of the ones I'm in I'm just standing there looking really unimpressed

I thought I'd see if I could work out which one you were based on that, thought you might have been the one in the pale blue, but then noticed that seems to apply to most of the dancers!

Edited by thewinelake

Yes. Lady Beauty and the "Jewels" have short solos (maybe about 30-40s worth, but 2 or 3 each). I suppose Cinderella kind of does. Obviously the Pro's have by far the biggest solos. Going again tonight (and Saturday!) will be interesting to compare Amy and Adele's performances. 

I use chookas when wishing my New Zealander dancer friend good wishes for a performance. It's an Antipodean saying and there's an interesting explanation here: http://www.behindballet.com/ask-colin-chookas/

According to wikipedia "Toi toi toi" seems to originate from a spell to ward off bad luck! Makes sense. :-)

Have to say I don't think I could muster the courage to utter Toi Toi Toi to anyone but that's probably my lack of artistic pedigree and possibly the rather uptight conservative town from which I've been born and bred. I'd often like to use the phrase 'aide du memoir' which sometimes crops up on this forum too.

You doing the sainsburys shopping list?

No. This is my aide du memoir du Sainsburys.

Item 1

Tissu du toilette...etc.

I have also never tried a McDonald's Fillet O' Fish for this very same reason.

My other half has no such qualms and often scatters his commentary on social media with the word 'chagrin' with such regularity I'm not entirely sure he knows what it means. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie on this one..mainly because the conversation I'd have to have with him would inevitably end up with him using the word....chagrin.

• Like 2

I'd feel less uncomfortable saying "Toi Toi Toi" than "Merde". It reminds me when I was at a conference (Apple developers, IIRC) and the M-word was used as a punchline on a cartoon - in a speech bubble. The guy next to me, an American, turned asked asked "what does Murdy mean?" So I felt rather superior for a second, then guilty at being snobbish for a while longer!

• Like 2