EYB Sleeping Beauty Stevenage

thewinelake

Just thought it might be fun to start a little thread about this show from the "doing it" perspective, as I know that some here are involved in it, either as parents or dancers.

So who should we look out for and give a big-ballet-forum wave to? ;-)

To kick things off, my DDs are the Duchess and a guest.

Apparently the most coveted roles are the jewels - and a school friend of DD1 is one of them.

Anyone else got sore feet after so much pointework? DD2 has only just started intermediate and so only does about 15 mins/week on pointe and all of that at the barre. So all this centre stuff is extremely challenging. There apparently some Polonaise or something they're doing where it's looking decidedly ropey - but there's still plenty of time to get the hang of it, right?!

They're both finding the other girls (sad it is nearly all girls) very friendly, so a good experience so far, despite the aches...

• Like 3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my DD's friends are a Charm Girl and Cat and a Jewelled Fairy and a Monster. They are age 11 and not done anything like this before and are loving the whole EYB experience so far.

Sadly my DD couldn't take up her place this time due to other commitments that we couldn't wiggle out of but we will certainly be going to watch.

Hopefully your DD's are enjoying the centre work. I bet it's a huge change if they have only done 15mins at the barre each week during intermediate .. but what an opportunity :)  I have no idea what a polonaise is but it sounds like a cod sauce hahaha 

Good luck to your DD's 

I think its' been mentioned on a previous EYB thread, but a good cure for sore feet after pointework is a soak in a bowl of cold water when you get home, and to take all plasters off if you have blisters and let the fresh air get to them overnight :)

My dd isn't in the Stevenage production (she's just started at vocational school) but friends are performing and I'm going to watch them.

• Like 1

I'm a guest, think my feet are in a state of shock with all the pointe work as I'm only used to doing half an hour a week of syllabus exercises, all good fun though!! the polonaise bit is looking rather interesting I'll agree????

I'm getting a particular pain right on the ends of my big toes which makes it practically unbearable to go up en pointe towards the end of the session, any ideas on how to relieve this? I only have the standard toe pads in my shoes.

• Like 1

I think there are 4 jewels. I also think I may have to get some washing up bowls to put in the car (with iced water) for the ride home!

Sounds to me as though you need better-fitted padding in your shoes. Maybe you've got a longer big-toe than the shoe was designed for. Pack it out with something?

• Like 1

Hi, I'm a guest and I'm often in a black leotard with a pink elasticated waist belt or sometimes a black skirt. I'm still aching! For me, Saturday was the most painful because I was in pointe shoes for over 5 hours and I couldn't even get up on pointe at the end of the day! I don't know if all the dancing is catching up with me because I was really hungry today, I think I need to eat more because I had a moment when I was really dizzy and my legs were about to give way today but I was alright after I had a hot meal for lunch followed by a big baguette.

Bit off topic but is it just me when you buy a big meal and when you finish it, join the queue and buy another big meal, the dinner ladies at school always give weird looks at you because I always feel awkward buying a hot meal, baguette and maybe a bread roll when I'm starving because it feels like they think you are greedy! (I don't always do this, only when I am starving and got lots of dancing after school!)

I once saw a dancer at my ex dds school polish off two Big Macs, a large fries, a milk shake, an apple pie and two bananas. She'd had four classes back to back and was just about to do a private lesson followed by a festival dance rehearsal!

• Like 1

How can you have an ex dd?! ;-)

I always wondered that as on another forum I belong to the first d relates to darling. I always thought Fiz had disinherited a daughter until I realised the related to dancing!

If you need the food you are not greedy, listen to your body.

• Like 2

I'm a guest, think my feet are in a state of shock with all the pointe work as I'm only used to doing half an hour a week of syllabus exercises, all good fun though!! the polonaise bit is looking rather interesting I'll agree

I'm getting a particular pain right on the ends of my big toes which makes it practically unbearable to go up en pointe towards the end of the session, any ideas on how to relieve this? I only have the standard toe pads in my shoes.

If you have been wearing your pointe shoes all weekend, they have probably gone a bit soft (with all the sweat :wacko:) and so might not be supporting your feet as well. You will need to let them hang up to dry for a couple of days. There are hints about looking after your pointe shoes on the EYB website, and it might also be a good idea to buy another pair and alternate them, so you have one pair performance-ready and a spare pair too.

• Like 1

Anondancer I agree with Taxi you need more than one pair of pointe shoes so they can dry out. I think Grishko recommend no more than 90 minutes in a pair before drying them out. They will last longer if you rotate and dry them.

Also check your toe nails are the correct length. You can get big tips for your toes but obviously will need to be refitted for shoes if using different padding. You could try soaking them as suggested then surgical spiriting the skin.

• Like 1

My DD wears Gaynors,and whilst the shank is pretty much indestructible, she finds that the box still softens in a similar way to traditional shoes. She alternates two pairs for that reason. It is a big initial outlay it's true, but doesn't cost any more in the long term as the shoes will last twice as long if only being worn half as much.(Assuming your feet have stopped growing of course - I did make her manage with one pair when she was outgrowing them before they wore out!)

• Like 1

Yes, as well as the shank, the box and wings support your feet too, and if they start to go a bit soft it can make your feet sink down into the shoes more and cause your toes to get sore.

Dancers often find that they need to change the make/style/size of pointe shoes as their training progresses and are spending a lot more time on pointe. The way you work your feet will change and so can their shape, so it might be worth going for another fitting and explaining what is happening to the fitter. They will then be able to advise you on padding etc as well.

• Like 1

The shoes and feet will get sweat if en pointe for hours, the skin will get soft and clammy and then be more prone to rubbing and becoming sore. I would plan to get a spare pair and rotate during the day plus let them air at home between rehearsals.

• Like 1

Last time my dd did EYB, they did have a "respite from pointe day" where all classes and rehearsals were taken in flatties, to give the girls' feet a rest. I thought that was such a good idea.

Having said that, it was a summer holiday performance so the girls were sometimes rehearsing 4 or 5 days in a row. Perhaps when the rehearsal schedule is during weekends, they don't have a "no pointe day"?

• Like 2

If your feet are really suffering on a particular day, then you can ask them if they wouldn't mind you doing some of the earlier part of that day in flat shoes, and put the pointe shoes on later, for the run-through of the scenes so you can save your feet. It is also a good idea to take your shoes off during breaks while you eat. The EYB staff are very understanding, and if you ask, they will help you if you have foot problems :)

• Like 2

I'm surprised that there aren't more advanced technologies at play in the world of ballet like there are with skiing and running.

In a way there are; the difference in construction between a Gaynor Minden and a traditionally made shoe is amazing. And Gaynors have been around for a while now, I think?

• Like 1

I think its' been mentioned on a previous EYB thread, but a good cure for sore feet after pointework is a soak in a bowl of cold water when you get home, ..

So DD did this last night after pointe lesson as said her feet ached. She said some other girls were talking about doing this when they got home. I got her a bowl of cold water and a towel and then left the room to take a phone call. 10 mins later she was still sat there with feet in water and her feet turned a bit blue at her heels!! She just said it was nice as bunion didn't hurt. But how long should they put feet in cold water? Turning blue doesn't sound right?!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess those of you doing it will have been in the local papers a week or two ago? Please share the links (if that's OK)... Ours have, but they got the names/schools the wrong way around! I mentioned this to their ballet teacher who said "oh, they always did that when I sent in press releases, so I don't bother any more!". I don't see how that's even possible - surely press-releases are just copied from the original, and so EYB must have muddled it up? Or do papers monkey with press-releases to get them down to the right length - and this is just collateral damage?

Here's our one: http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/13656013.Gifted_dancers_land_role_in_a_professional_production_of_Sleeping_Beauty/

(Mods: If this is not allowed, apologies and feel free to delete the link!)

Oh, and on a somewhat unrelated issue, I have been tasked with finding somewhere to eat before the shows. So I thought we'd try the PI Bistro on the Friday and On The Green on Saturday. This last place seems to be a proper restaurant with proper wine - something that I'd thought (in an admittedly snobby way) was surprising for Stevenage.... (OK - apologies to those who live there!)

Edited by thewinelake

Oh, and on a somewhat unrelated issue, I have been tasked with finding somewhere to eat before the shows. So I thought we'd try the PI Bistro on the Friday and On The Green on Saturday. This last place seems to be a proper restaurant with proper wine - something that I'd thought (in an admittedly snobby way) was surprising for Stevenage.... (OK - apologies to those who live there!)

The Gordon Craig Theatre is linked to Stevenage railway station by a walkway. If you go through there and past the station, there is a massive leisure park (cinema, bowling alley etc) and there are numerous restaurants there as well. Be warned though, and don't park in the car park of the leisure park as you will get clamped if they see you leaving the leisure park on foot to go to the theatre and you'll have to pay a huge release fee (it has happened to us and the car park is notorious locally for doing this). Best place to park is the railway station car park. Hope this helps!

• Like 2