Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

I was going to buy the Bolshoi La Bayadere DVD with Svetlana Zakharova from Amazon but I discovered it is actually free to stream (on Prime video) if you are a Prime member which I am but I think you can get a month free trial if you're not.  I did a search for ballet and there's quite a lot of full length ballets on there...

Royal Ballet- Sleeping Beauty Cojocaru and Bonelli version

POB- Raymonda, Giselle, Swan Lake (recent recordings)

Mariinsky- Jewels

Bolshoi- a couple of older recordings and the newest La Bayadere recording I already mentioned.

Anyway, just thought it would be of interest.

Also, I just got the new Giselle with Marianela on Amazon for £18.83...I don't know if it's just a freak occurrence and it will go back up to £24.99 soon or not...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The documentary Dancing Beethoven, which I saw in a local cinema earlier this year, is now available on DVD from various German sites. Amazon describes the DVD as having subtitles in English and other languages.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:01, Duck said:

Dancing Beethoven, the documentary about the preparations for Bejart's 9th Symphony in Tokyo is now shown in cinemas in Germany, and in the German-speaking part of Switzerland from May onwards (I don't know about other places).  It comes with extensive coverage of rehearsals by Bejart Ballet Lausanne, The Tokyo Ballet, the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra and the Ritsuyukai Choir as well as a number of interviews with Gil Roman, soloist dancers from the two companies, Zubin Mehta, and others.  (...)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not a DVD or a Blu-ray, but I've just noticed that the Wendy Whelan documentary 'Restless Creature' is available on Netflix (at least in the UK)!  Official website for the film is here.

As mentioned previously there's quite a bit of ballet available on Amazon Prime as well - the POB Nureyev Swan Lake with Letestu/Martinez and Raymonda with Gillot/Martinez, RB Sleeping Beauty with Cojocaru/Bonelli and the Mariinsky Jewels, to name a few.

Also been meaning to say that the NYCB in Paris Blu-ray that came out earlier in the year is sublime - Sarah Mearns' is wonderful in Walpurgisnacht Ballet but for me the star of the show is Tiler Peck in the first movement of Symphony in C - I've watched it dozens of times! I really hope this disc sold well and NYCB are planning more releases in future.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, charliewise said:

Not a DVD or a Blu-ray, but I've just noticed that the Wendy Whelan documentary 'Restless Creature' is available on Netflix (at least in the UK)!  Official website for the film is here.

As mentioned previously there's quite a bit of ballet available on Amazon Prime as well - the POB Nureyev Swan Lake with Letestu/Martinez and Raymonda with Gillot/Martinez, RB Sleeping Beauty with Cojocaru/Bonelli and the Mariinsky Jewels, to name a few.

Also been meaning to say that the NYCB in Paris Blu-ray that came out earlier in the year is sublime - Sarah Mearns' is wonderful in Walpurgisnacht Ballet but for me the star of the show is Tiler Peck in the first movement of Symphony in C - I've watched it dozens of times! I really hope this disc sold well and NYCB are planning more releases in future.

Useful to know - thank you. And I so agree about the NYCB in Paris disc. Wonderful!

Incidentally I understand the release by Universal Classics of Woolf Works due out about now has been delayed - I don't know why or for how long!

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Bourne's The Car Man - "This recording for Sky Arts was made at Sadlers Wells during the production s most recent revival" - Zizi Strallen and Christopher Trenfield, Dominc North and Kate Lyons - Due for release on 8th Dec 2017

Mozart: The Lover’s Garden -Teatro alla Scala, April 2016 - Roberto Bolle, Nicoletta Manni, Marta Romagna, Claudio Coviello, Mick Zeni, Christian Fagetti, Ballet Company of Teatro alla Scala, La Scala String Quartet and Soloists of the Orchestra of Teatro alla Scala - Due for release on 12th Jan 2018

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've copied this one over from another thread:

On 1/19/2018 at 06:01, Sophoife said:

Yes it is indeed still available (Australian Ballet Shop), Odette Madeleine Eastoe, Prince Robert Curran, Baroness Danielle Rowe - none of whom are still with the company, in fact Eastoe and Curran have retired, Curran now director of Louisville Ballet in Kentucky, USA. Be aware that when you look at the cover, it shows Amber Scott and Adam Bull, neither of whom are dancing on the DVD, but "they were the ones we had proper photos of in costume" is what I was told when I queried it. :huh::huh::rolleyes: 

Also available (Nutcracker DVD) is the Peter Wright Nutcracker (the one without Hans-Peter), with Benedicte Bemet as Clara, Andrew Killian Drosselmeyer, and Madeleine Eastoe and Kevin Jackson as Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier, plus the Sleeping Beauty with Lana Jones, Kevin Jackson, Amber Scott (Lilac) and Lynette Wills as Carabosse.

Another option is the ABC Shop (our BBC) which, bizarrely, has a wider range than the ballet site: Murphy Romeo and Juliet (Jackson, Eastoe), Heritage Collection (8 full ballets from 1984-95), a 3-DVD set called the "Tchaikovsky Collection" for only $33 which is all three of the single DVDs listed above. Plus the "Heritage Collection" set (Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, La Fille Mal Gardée, Coppélia, Spartacus, The Merry Widow, Nutcracker: The Story of Clara, and Manon, the last four of which feature Steven Heathcote) is currently $80 compared with $135 on the ballet's site.

Maybe this post should be in another section? Mods please feel free to move appropriately.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

have just noticed that there is a DVD of the John Neumeier Nijinsky ballet being issued in April

What company is performing it?

Hope it's NBoC as Guillaume Cote's performance is amazing. Officially a fan of this marvelous dancer.

1 hour ago, Sharon said:

What company is performing it?

Hope it's NBoC as Guillaume Cote's performance is amazing. Officially a fan of this marvelous dancer.

Alexandre Riabko, on whom the role was created and who is unmatchable in it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I agree - Totally STELLAR - as he was with his wife in that recent Polunin programme at the Coliseum - and when they both performed in one of the Russian Icon Galas.   (How lucky we are to have the latter to get a glimpse - very rarely it is true - of dancers from companies such as the Hamburg Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet or even - rarely - New York City Ballet such as we would not otherwise in the majority (if not the entirety) of their careers witness on UK soil.  The Brexit effect/fall of the pound will only make presentations of such companies a more rare occurrence I fear as it will only ever in such circumstances become a more expensive undertaking.) 

This Nijinsky DVD is one I'm certainly going to buy.  I am in Hamburg briefly in May and attending three performances of the Hamburg Ballet.  (I try to go at least once annually.  They are such a fine company and the cost of attending their presentations so very reasonable.) I will consider myself VERY lucky if I get to catch Riabko - in what must be the setting of his career - in any one of those three (and one - as it happens - is Nijinsky.)  There are not many opportunities to see a ballet company as fine as this largely dedicated to one living and rightfully long established choreographer.  Moving away from ballet, Mark Morris' Company in NYC is another such.  In British company of such - and again from a contemporary perspective - it is the celebration that the Adventures in Motion Pictures ensemble sometime's shines through Matthew Bourne's ever developing eyes (and I have not always been his greatest fan) that can elicit similar joy.  I cherished his Lord of the Flies.  The potential of such occasions spells joy in my heart.  In that way these companies remind me of watching NYCB in the late 70's / early 80's in New York and the ravishing Balanchine turns which so defined dance for me as much as for the 20th Century which will certainly have marked the majority of my life.  

Nijinsky in April:  CHECK.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The Brexit effect/fall of the pound will only make presentations of such companies a more rare occurrence I fear

The pound has been steadily increasing against the Canadian dollar at any rate for the last year, to the point that I am beginning to despair.  It's still not where it was pre-Brexit but it's getting closer.

On 22/11/2017 at 11:10, charliewise said:

I've just noticed that Coppelia is also now on Amazon Prime- POB with Gilbert/Martinez.  

• Like 1

On 8.3.2018 at 02:53, toursenlair said:

Though he dances it like it was created on him, it was not, dear Katherine - Jiri Bubenicek was the first Nijinsky in July 2000, another great Neumeier dancer. His twin brother Otto was The Golden Slave and the Faun, a stunning effect to have two identical Nijinskys on stage, dancing around Romola who did not know if she was falling in love with the Slave or with Nijinsky himself.... Riabko was Spectre de la Rose and Harlequin in the premiere, Ivan Urban was Diaghilev, Anna Polikarpova was Romola, Lloyd Riggins was Petruschka. Those were the golden days.... 

You can still catch Urban and Riggins doing their original roles in some performances, both great, especially Riggins is heartbreaking. Though Riabko is absolutely equal to Bubenicek, Neumeier has no longer seductive, alluring dancers for all those different embodiments of Nijinsky, for the Slave and Spectre and Faun. He should have recorded his magnum opus much earlier, five or ten years ago. Never mind, we will HAVE a recording! And I'm sure this ballet will end up in the international repertoire like Onegin or Lady of the Camellias, it's just too good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I was under the impression that it already had been - or had someone just reported that it was going to be in the future?  Anyway, good to see DVD releases going beyond the RB (and ENB, to a lesser extent).

• 3 weeks later...

Have just watched Nijinsky and it is stunning. I loved the music chosen for it, and I thought the staging was excellent. I hadn't seen Riabko before and found his performance totally compelling. I did think that it was the sort of part Ed Watson would have been ideal in, if circumstances had permitted. Definitely worth buying the DVD

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have just seen that The Little Mermaid with the Czech National Ballet is listed for release on 6th July 2018 on the Euroarts label.

According to the blurb: “This new ballet production of Czech National Ballet, based on the famous fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen is, delivered by the National Theatre Orchestra, choreographed by Jan Kodet and directed by the acclaimed SKUTR tandem (Martin Kukučka and Lukáš Trpišovský) - who won numerous awards, including the Grand Prix and the Audience Prize at the FIST international festival in Belgrade – with a new composition by Czech contemporary composer Zbyněk Matějů.”.

I don't know how this compares with other versions and I haven't been able to find any reviews so would be grateful for any comments/advice. 

On 22/01/2018 at 00:01, buflesse said:

I asked the guy at the ROH shop on Saturday when Woolf Works was coming out on DVD. He said he didn't know and it was meant to be out by now but they essentially had no idea when it would be released.......

Has anyone heard anything else on this?  I lost my recording of the TV broadcast when we switched from Sky to BT and I'm constantly kicking myself for not finding some way to keep it!

I'm assuming the reasons for the delay will be either financial or technical. I suspect the latter - I didn't notice it so much in the cinema but the TV relay was quite dark in places and I'm wondering if they are having difficulties in creating an adequate copy?

My memory is that it was originally slated for release last Sept so it is very overdue but I continue to hope that it will surface eventually.

Edited by David

On 28/09/2016 at 15:09, MAB said:

It was broadcast by the BBC in its entirety, I remember going over to my brothers to watch it because he had a new-fangled colour telly.  I'll never forget the fairies entrance when they appeared to run down a moonbeam, nothing has ever touched that production.

What year was that Mab?