Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

Oh! My mistake. I guess I'd assumed that it was since it had been shown on Sky Arts.

I have Sky, and they used to have a Royal Opera House section with many recent ballets, including that SB. It was recently abruptly taken away ???? I wish I'd downloaded them when I had the chance!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon have announced the following Belair Classiques DVD for release on 12th May:

New York City Ballet in Paris [New York City Ballet, George Balanchine; Orchestre Promethee; Daniel Capps

Not much detail but this from the blurb:

“This exceptional production, performed in Paris after eight years of absence, revolves around three great French composers who inspired NYCB founder George Balanchine: Charles Gounod, Maurice Ravel and Georges Bizet. The four ballets performed, choreographed from 1925 to 1980, perfectly encapsulate Balanchines genius and his very own neo-classical style. They also provide a particular insight on the bonds that tied Balanchine to France. What is known today as Walpurgisnacht Ballet was a ballet choreographed for the opera Faust (Charles Gounod) at the Paris Opera in 1975. It premiered as an independant piece in New York in 1980. Sonatine, set to a music by Maurice Ravel, was created by two New York City Ballet French principals, the recently departed Violette Verdy and Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux. La Valse was originally composed by Ravel for the Ballets Russes and Serge Diaghilev, then exiled in France, shortly before Balanchine entered the company. Symphony in C (Georges Bizet), better known as Le Palais de Cristal, premiered at the Paris Opera. A spectacular tribute to Balanchine, beautifully served by the breath-taking technique of these American dancers, who rank today among the best in the world!”

• Like 2

Thank you Bluebird. Armed with that I've checked the review in the New York Times which seems to have been favourable. I'm wavering whether to order it - does anyone have any advice please?

BUY IT!! It's worth it for Sarah Mearns's Walpurgisnacht Ballet alone. Plus, we have so little Balanchine on DVD. And Symphony in C!!! Who WOULDN'T want a video of Symphony in C? <<heading right over to amazon website now, thanks for the heads up>>

• Like 3

BUY IT!! It's worth it for Sarah Mearns's Walpurgisnacht Ballet alone. Plus, we have so little Balanchine on DVD. And Symphony in C!!! Who WOULDN'T want a video of Symphony in C? <<heading right over to amazon website now, thanks for the heads up>>

Well, that's good enough for me. I've placed my order. Thank you. And thanks again Bluebird for identifying it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed this:

Malandain Ballet Biarritz

L’Après-midi d’un faune (Debussy) 2012

Le Spectre de la rose (von Weber) 2012

Une Dernière chanson / One Last Song (Traditional) 2012

Silhouette (Beethoven) 2016

Estro (Vivaldi) 2016

Nocturnes (Chopin) 2016

Scheduled for release on 19 May 2017. Best deal seems to be on Presto Classical!

I got the Sergei Polunin DVD from Amazon yesterday (it was on sale at the ROH on Friday too) and enjoyed it, the film wasn't shown locally so I hadn't seen it, not too much talking and quite a lot of fascinating dancing clips, although short ones, surprising how much film there is of the very young Sergei. The "Take Me To Church" video is included and a Q and A, haven't had time to see them yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just seen the following. The third is listed as a new release but I'm assuming it must be a re-issue. I don't know the others - should I be excited?

1. Mikael Karlsson; Alexander Ekman: Midsummer Night’s Dream

"Chorographical prodigy Alexander Ekman created his Midsummer Night’s Dream in April 2015 for the Royal Swedish Ballet at the Stockholm Opera. It is a powerful, contemporary piece that explores the energy and the mysteries conjured up by the summer solstice in the Scandinavian tradition. A vast and ambitious project, Midsummer Night’s Dream is danced by the Royal Swedish Ballet and set to a music by Mikael Karlsson. Swedish star pop singer Anna von Hausswolff sings throughout this one-of-a-kind production."

2. Shostakovich: The Golden Age

"This modern and visionary work, set to music by Dmitri Shostakovich, was created in 1930. Its central theme was the highly battle and subsequent triumph of the proletariat against the decadent bourgeoisie, set in Europe during the Roaring Twenties. Surprisingly, the score by Dmitri Shostakovich raised political controversies, possibly because it took inspiration from European dance forms (and was openly inspired by jazz music) and consequently, the ballet vanished from the theatres until 1982, when Yuri Grigorovich restaged it with sets by Simon Virsaladze and a completely new libretto mainly revolving around the love story between Rita, a cabaret dancer, and Boris, a young idealist. The conflict in the original production was also recast as a clash between fishermen – the morally superior workers – and society’s criminal elements. Bringing back The Golden Age in Autumn 2016, a few months prior to Yuri Grigorovich’s 90th birthday, was a highly symbolic choice for the Bolshoi Ballet: this work, the last Grigorovich would ever choreograph for his company, hadn’t been staged for almost 10 years. A rare and refined ballet, which ran the risk of falling into oblivion twice, is danced by the new generation of the Bolshoi Ballet, including Nina Kaptsova and Mikhail Lobukhin."

3. Pugni: The Pharaoh’s Daughter (La Fille Du Pharaon)

"BelAir Classiques present Petipa’s extravaganza, The Pharaoh’s Daughter, in a stunning production by Pierre Lacotte. Recreating the spectacular sumptuousness of the original, the ballet tells the tale of a young Englishman who dreams he elopes with a Pharaoh’s daughter. Despite a desert storm, a lion hunt and an attempted suicide, the couple finally wins the Pharaoh’s blessing of their marriage. From its creation in 1862, Petipa’s grandiose ballet was a sensational success; its stupendous costumes and striking scenery, its exotica, romanticism and drama appealing to audiences as much as the virtuoso choreography. The Bolshoi Ballet and the two soloists Svetlana Zakharova and Sergueï Filin are at their best in spite of the difficulty of Pierre Lacotte’s choreography."

4. Amar: Pixel

"Pixel is a stunning contemporary dance performance for 11 dancers in a virtual and living visual environment. A work on illusion combining energy and poetry, fiction and technical achievement, minimal music and hip-hop. It opens a dialogue between the synthetic world of digital projection and the real bodies of dancers. Pixel is a contemporary cross-cultural dance extravaganza which will be popular among younger viewers, in particular."

5. Ballet du Capitole: Trois ballets de Kader Belarbi

Le Corsaire, La Bete et la Belle, La Reine Morte

"Three masterworks by Kader Belarbi shine in these stunning Ballet du Capitole productions. Hailed by Le Figaro as ‘simply magnificent: a miracle in two acts’, Le Corsaire is a bold reinvention of a 19th-century classic. La Bête et la Belle – a compelling reimagining of the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast – had its place affirmed among the best of modern ballets by Belarbi’s much-lauded production for Théâtre du Capitole. La Reine morte, based on Montherlant’s play of the same name and set to an enchanting score by Tchaikovsky, tells the tragic story of King Peter I of Portugal’s devotion to his beloved Inês."

Edited by David
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

Is there any indication if or when Anastasia might be released?

According to the ROH shop it's definitely on the release schedule for later in the year but they don't have a release date as yet. The Ballet du Capitole item I referred to in my previous post is an Opus Arte release and is due for release on 30th June. It comprises three disks so I guess that has been keeping them pretty busy!

• Like 2

I was hoping the Bolshoi would release Taming of the Shrew and Don Quixote, not really excited about The Golden Age although I didn't see it at the cinema, the ones I'm longing to get are Woolf Works and Anastasia.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Opus Arte will release Anastasia on 1st September. The initial listing is up on Amazon:

Product description: "The Royal Ballet recorded at the Royal Opera House in London. Natalia Osipova performs the title role with the supporting the cast including Marianela Nuñez, Federico Bonelli, Edward Watson, Thiago Soares and Christina Arestis, with Simon Hewett conducting the Royal Opera House Orchestra. "

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, David said:

Opus Arte will release Anastasia on 1st September. The initial listing is up on Amazon:

Product description: "The Royal Ballet recorded at the Royal Opera House in London. Natalia Osipova performs the title role with the supporting the cast including Marianela Nuñez, Federico Bonelli, Edward Watson, Thiago Soares and Christina Arestis, with Simon Hewett conducting the Royal Opera House Orchestra. "

Great news at last, wonder what has happened to Woolf Works, how lucky the BBC showed it!

• Like 1

Amazon have not yet listed their prices for Anastasia but at £21.50 and £25.50 for the DVD and Blu-ray respectively including postage, Presto Classical may well prove to be the best deal. Unless anyone can suggest a better source?

14 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Great news at last, wonder what has happened to Woolf Works, how lucky the BBC showed it!

Anastasia preceded Woolf Works.  I trust there'll be a DVD, because my recording failed before I could even watch it :(

In what is becoming a familiar marketing ploy, Opus Arte are re-packaging two previous releases – Dutch National Ballet’s Cinderella with Anna Tsygankova and Matthew Golding and the Royal Ballet’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland with Lauren Cuthberton and Sergei Polunin – under the rather clever title “Two Ballet Favourites by Christopher Wheeldon” - due for release on 1st Sept on both DVD and Blu-ray. It’s a good deal as it works out as two for the price of one but I guess most will have acquired one or both already!

On 26/07/2017 at 23:41, alison said:

Anastasia preceded Woolf Works.  I trust there'll be a DVD, because my recording failed before I could even watch it :(

On 26/07/2017 at 09:35, Beryl H said:

I'm told Woolf Works will be released later this year by Universal Classics. I assume that means under the Decca label since they have issued Royal Ballet recordings in the past. I haven't heard anything about a release date as yet.

I thought the BBC broadcast was really good - and with a late night repeat the same day which meant that I was able to record it twice as a fail-safe so I was well-chuffed!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

As far as I can see Presto Classical remains the best deal, even allowing for the Friends 10% reduction at the ROH shop. 

Looking beyond Anastasia and Woolf Works, does anyone have any info re possible subsequent releases? I was told quite a while back that Opus Arte would be releasing a new Nutcracker this coming Xmas – presumably the Cuthbertson; Bonelli; Hayward; Campbell; Avis cinema relay from last year since the cinema relay this coming Xmas would surely be too late for an Xmas release. Also that this would be followed in April next year by the Nuñez; Muntagirov Sleeping Beauty. Haven’t heard anything since but I live in hope.

There's a new Macmillan triple DVD box coming up but all previously released versions, Manon is Rojo/Acosta, R and J is Cuthbertson/Bonelli and Mayerling is Watson/Galeazzi, if it had have been the Nunez Manon people might have been tempted to buy just for this alone as it only costs £29.99 for the three.

I'm quite excited about my Anastasia Blu-Ray, should receive it from Amazon soon.

• Like 2

Bel Air Clasiques have listed three disks scheduled for release on 13th Oct: “The Art of Svetlana Zakharova at the Bolshoi”; “The Art of David Hallberg at the Bolshoi”; and Rudolf Nureyev’s Don Quixote with Maris Yakovleva and Denys Cherevchko as Kitri and Basil with the Wiener Staatsballett, all three on both DVD and Blu-Ray.  The first lists Swan Lake, La Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty and Fille du Pharaon,; the second Mareo Spada and Sleeping Beauty – from which I assume  these are mostly if not wholly extracts from earlier releases that are well known and probably in most people’s collections. I don’t know anything about the Don Quixote performance.

2 hours ago, David said:

Bel Air Clasiques have listed three disks scheduled for release on 13th Oct: “The Art of Svetlana Zakharova at the Bolshoi”; “The Art of David Hallberg at the Bolshoi”; and Rudolf Nureyev’s Don Quixote with Maris Yakovleva and Denys Cherevchko as Kitri and Basil with the Wiener Staatsballett, all three on both DVD and Blu-Ray.  The first lists Swan Lake, La Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty and Fille du Pharaon,; the second Mareo Spada and Sleeping Beauty – from which I assume  these are mostly if not wholly extracts from earlier releases that are well known and probably in most people’s collections. I don’t know anything about the Don Quixote performance.

Actually they seem to be the complete works - I see the Zakharova is on 4 disks - in which case they represent a very real bargain!

Edited by David

• 3 weeks later...

Due for release on the 11th November on both DVD and blu-ray.

Here's the blurb: "Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64

Roberto Bolle, Misty Copeland, Antonino Sutera, Mick Zeni, Marco Agostino, Riccardo Massimi Company & Orchestra of Teatro alla Scala, Patrick Fournillier

This classic choreography of Romeo and Juliet by Kenneth MacMillan, set to the immortal notes of Prokofiev, is legendary in La Scala´s repertoire. In this ballet the choreographer MacMillan deals with the matter paying great attention to human relations, lyricism and psychological tension, without neglecting moments of humour, through the dynamics and the emotions of ballet d’action. Set and costumes are designed especially for La Scala by Mauro Carosi and Odette Nicoletti. The stars of this masterly performance are Roberto Bolle and Misty Copeland, together for the first time in this ballet. Iconic ballerina Misty Copeland makes history as the first African American Female Principal Dancer with the prestigious American Ballet."

I don't know the Scala production but the casting sounds interesting!

Edited by David
  • Like 2