Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched my Elizabeth dvd and can thoroughly recommend it. Yanowsky and Acosta are terrific and the whole thing is a masterclass of dance movement and story telling. The staging is simple but effective, beautiful costumes and great lighting. This must have been great to see live but it really comes across on the small screen as well.

The only slightly disconcerting thing for me is that the baritone looks rather like Paul Hollywood from certain angles!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding now is that this is provisionally scheduled for around March/April next year. Good news if confirmed but a long time to wait! No sign so far of Amazon discounting their arts discs but I continue to hope!

It (Frankenstein) is now on the ROH shop website for pre-order with a January 27 release date.  Can't see it on Amazon yet.

Edited by barton22

Hi.. Thanks for recommending Elisabeth which I have just ordered, sounds interesting indeed.  Being new to the forum, I can't help to mention my all time favorite dance DVD/Blu-ray, released about the time of the start of the forum, but never mentioned, namely L'Allegro, Il Penseroso ed il Modorato by Mark Morris Dance Group. From the moment I got it, I have been hooked and have seen it an embarrassing number of times, almost invariably bringing shivering to my bones and tears to my eyes. I love the text of Milton, the glorious music of Handel, the perfect colors of the set, the fabulous choreography and of cause the wonderful dancers. But first and foremost the joy and life confirmation permeating it all.   And I do love and adore La Dame aux camélias by Neumeier with Letestu and P.O. That brings tears too!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum from me too, Great Dane!  I agree with you about L'Allegro, and am hoping someone will actually buy it off my Christmas list this year.  There's a lot of my Christmas list which is recycled from last year (and previous years), but that's probably top of the bill!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

DQF and Terpsichore both saw the ballet in Amsterdam and told us about it here.

Thanks Janet - and based entirely on DQF and Terpsichore's glowing reviews of the live performance I've taken a punt on the bluray.  A mere £10.65 on Amazon, and I had a freebie voucher for a tenner, so if it's a duffer I'll only be coming after them for 33p each in compensation  :D             

• Like 3

I loved Mata Hari it's a huge full on role for the principal ballerina who is on stage about 97% of the time. Definitely worth seeing! Had hoped for a reprise 16/17 but maybe 17/18 season!

If you gen up on Mata Hari's bio then the ballet makes a lot more sense. I read up a bit about Mata Hari before I saw the show and it helped.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

The Australian Ballet's lavish new 'Sleeping Beauty' has been released on DVD (ABC Classics) but it isn't showing up on Amazon yet.

I saw thus at the cinema but was quite unable to judge it coz the picture was cut off at the top and the bottom! I assume this was a problem at my cinema alone and would welcome advice. It was obviously sumptuous but is it worth a purchase?

A dvd of a documentary about Millepied's creation of Clear, Loud, Bright, Forward on Paris Opera Ballet (I believe it was the first new ballet he created on them as director of dance) is now available for pre-order on Amazon and it looks like the film may be showing in some cinemas as there have a been a few recent newspaper reviews.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K297J8O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I think a non-subtitled dvd of this is already available in France as it was in the Paris Opera shop (named Releve) when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

I saw thus at the cinema but was quite unable to judge it coz the picture was cut off at the top and the bottom! I assume this was a problem at my cinema alone and would welcome advice. It was obviously sumptuous but is it worth a purchase?

I missed the cinema broadcast, but I suspect the reason the DVD isn't on Amazon.uk is that it's only available in a Region 4 version.  The same apparently applies to  the Australian ballet's version of The Nutcracker, which it shares with BRB.

I watched the Mata Hari DVD a couple of weeks ago and loved it.  

I watched Mata Hari today and found it excellent.  There's a lot of narrative worked into it to understand first time, so my watching was punctuated by hitting pause to read the notes, and I'm looking forward to having a clear run on a second viewing..  As Don Q Fan says, a very full-on role for Anna Tsygankova, and I found her very graceful and expressive, with her willowy lines well suited to the seductive oriental dancing.  I'd love to see Maia Makhateli one day by way of comparison.  Possibly the best 65p I've ever spent!

• Like 2

Anna Pavlova in 1916 Silent Film

I have just come across some information about a long forgotten US film director called Lois Weber of whom I had never heard. In 1916 she made a silent film of The Dumb Girl of Portici in which Fenella, the dumb girl of the title, was played by Anna Pavlova, The film has been restored and was screened in New York in December 2016. I have no idea about its quality as a film or its physical state, as although restored the material used for the restoration came from at least two sources. It has been announced that the film will be issued on DVD later on this year,

The role of Fenella in Auber's opera La Muette de Portici was created to be played by a dance actress. It was one of Fanny Elssler's great roles. It was one of the roles which Virginia Zucchi performed to great acclaim when she appeared in St Petersburg in the late 1880's. There is very little film of Pavlova so it might be worth looking into.

Edited by FLOSS

Another upcoming release is what looks like a 90th birthday documentary on Yuri Grigorovich called "The Golden Age: the Life and Art of the Bolshoi's controversial choreographer".  No further details - Bel Air Classiques just posted on their Instagram feed that this was "coming soon" on dvd.  Might be interesting.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember seeing on tv years ago, Carmen danced by Baryshnikov and Zizi Jeanmaire? If so, does anyone know if there is a dvd available. Also I remember seeing a modern day production of Coppelia on tv, I think with a french company, I think it was set in a block of flats. Does this ring bells with anyone?

Does anyone remember seeing on tv years ago, Carmen danced by Baryshnikov and Zizi Jeanmaire? If so, does anyone know if there is a dvd available. Also I remember seeing a modern day production of Coppelia on tv, I think with a french company, I think it was set in a block of flats. Does this ring bells with anyone?

There is a DVD of the Baryshnikov Carmen, but apparently now only avaialable in N American version.

The Opera de Bordeaux just finished a run of their Coppelia, based in the US in the 1950s. There are a number of videos and pictures in the following link, have a look whether what you see rings a bell :)  http://www.opera-bordeaux.com/danse-coppelia-2466

I don't know whether there is a DVD though.

edited for typo/ added last sentence.

Edited by Duck

I missed the cinema broadcast, but I suspect the reason the DVD isn't on Amazon.uk is that it's only available in a Region 4 version.  The same apparently applies to  the Australian ballet's version of The Nutcracker, which it shares with BRB.

I have both of these Australian Ballet DVDs and they are 'all region' so can be played on any player.  

• Like 1

How odd.  I emailed the Australian Ballet about this and was told that both the new Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker are Region 4 only!

Well, they were both bought there and are clearly labelled 'all region' and they play on my region 2 player without problem. It could be that the Australian Ballet are not very organised with their recordings. The Sleeping Beauty DVD was released in late November yet they weren't selling it at their merchandise counter in the Sydney Opera House in December (despite the fact that they were performing Coppelia there for most of the month). Indeed, now that the ABC have closed all their retail stores, it was hard to find it anywhere in Sydney. I eventually found one shop which had a single copy in stock.