How unusual is it for a top ballet school to do this?

Lisa O`Brien

Somebody today left me a message on my You Tube page,"My Collection of Decorated and Coloured Pointe Shoes". She was in Canada,and told me a leading ballet school, when holding an open day ,open to members of the public,allowed ANYONE of any age to try on pointe shoes. I was quite surprised to hear this. The person replied it was only for that one day,but that,yes,this top ballet school let anyone of any age try their pointe shoes on. Is this unusual, a cultural [Canadian] thing, or what? I was just really,really  surprised they would do that. Unless the girl is telling porkies,of course. What do others think? 

I think it is probably an open day for anyone to look around and perhaps try on costumes/shoes but without letting them "try them out".

I know it is different but I've seen hands-on costume exhibitions where people can try on some stuff.  When the Theatre Museum was still in Covent Garden we could have tried on costumes from NB's R&J (one might have gone on my arm) and I was made up (facially) to look like an 18th century actress!  All in good fun, of course!

• Like 1

I think it is probably an open day for anyone to look around and perhaps try on costumes/shoes but without letting them "try them out".

I know it is different but I've seen hands-on costume exhibitions where people can try on some stuff.  When the Theatre Museum was still in Covent Garden we could have tried on costumes from NB's R&J (one might have gone on my arm) and I was made up (facially) to look like an 18th century actress!  All in good fun, of course!

Yes,but for anyone to try on pointe shoes?

I remember going on a dance school trip to watch a ballet and do a class with London Festival Ballet when I was about 7, they let a couple of the group try on pointe shoes and a tutu. They were only allowed to put one foot up. I was devastated as they only picked the girls with blonde hair in a bun. My hair was very short at the time. It was my first experience of favouritism as my teacher urged a couple of girls forward but that was it I was determined if there was a next time I would get to try a shoe!! I'm the only one in the group who ever danced as a career and the only one who got to wear them for real! So I can believe they would do this supervised.

• Like 4

I think anyone untrained who tried to go up on pointe would very quickly decide it wasn't a good idea, and come right back down! It's not as if they're doing chaine turns or pirouettes or anything unsupported (your poster said she held on to the barre). I doubt they could do serious damage in those circumstances.

• Like 1

Perhaps there's a sign "try on/out at your own risk!"

Sometimes in Infant schools there is a dressing up corner .....usually part of some related theme these days.....but sometimes there are adult heeled shoes there and children do try and move around in these (as some do at home of course)

Though (unbelievably) have been already retired for three years now I wonder if this still happens or has been banned for Health and Safety reasons by now!

In the instance above perhaps if there is supervision it may be okay but better to say try on and not out I think .....it can still be revelatory for non dancers as some are still convinced that there are wooden blocks I the end of pointe shoes!!

• Like 4