Pointe shoe shopping

Lemongirl

Dd is 14, has been doing pointe for a couple of years and is still struggling to find the perfect pair of pointe shoes.

Her first pair were bought locally, can't remember the make, and as they were her first pair she had nothing to compare them with.

When she'd outgrown them we went to Covent Garden, looked in the various shops, tried loads on and she eventually chose a Bloch pair from their shop.  She has since bought another Bloch pair (different shoe though) but keeps going back to the second pair (although she says they're not perfect).

She has EYB coming up (and inter foundation exam) and I think it would be a good idea to get a new pair.  I'm thinking of making a trip to Southend to the shop there so she can try lots of different brands under one roof.

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, I still don't know for sure what to go for in terms of ribbons and/or elastics.  One her last pair I sewed elastics in which frayed very quickly.  Dd likes those Bloch ribbons with the elastic bit at the back but they're soooo hard to get them in the right place!

• Like 1

I would definatly reccomend going to a good shop that sells different brands.

Dd had two pairs of bloch but is currently in Merlet which she loves (though she has had a pair from a faulty batch which are being returned. Russian Pointe is a brand several of her friends like too but they don't make them small enough for dd.

Just Ballet I believe carry those brands alongside the new regulars & we go to Dancique in Birmingham.

However if it's Freed you like the I imagine their actual shop will give better advice on the different Makers/ options.

You don't necessarily need Elastorib (the Bloch ribbons with elastic at the achilles) unless your dd has or has had problems with achilles tendonitis - or is going to be doing a lot of pointework. It's probably worth perservering with it if she has a part with a lot of pointework at EYB.

Edited to add: when sewing pointe shoe ribbons, I have always pinned them first and got dd to try them on (carefully) to see if the angle is correct and if the elastic is finding the right position at the back of the ankle.

Just Ballet do stock a good range of pointe shoes but as they are a small shop it's well worth phoning in advance to book a fitting and give your dd's shoe size so that they can check what they have in your size.

Have you been to Freed?

Also forgot to say you don't always need elastic - sometimes if you position the ribbons differently it's unnecessary - likewise once the shoes are broken in properly you may find they no longer slip off at the heel.

• Like 1

My DD has just changed shoe to a Merlet Diva. These can be fitted at Dancia in Drury Lane and I believe Just Ballet stock them too. They come with ribbons (not satin but tape) with the tendon elastics in the ribbons and a suede platform.

One word of warning - if you are buying new shoes for EYB and they are not going to be exactly the same as what she's used too, be sure to have her use them for all of her pointe work before she starts rehearsals. If she is doing a lot of pointe work at EYB in new and different shoes she is more likely to get issues (bruised toenails, sore tendons) than being in a type of shoe both she and her feet are used to.

• Like 1

Reporting back from a lovely day in Southend this week!

Just Ballet were fabulous, well worth the trip. Dd had such a thorough fitting, she must have tried at least 20 pairs. It was down to Russian pointe or Gaynor Minden at the end and she chose GM. I was slightly worried about the foot not working as hard with them but she totally loved them so that was her shoe!

We then had a windswept couple of hours at Southends seafront!

Will definitely be returning to Just Ballet in the future, dd was very impressed.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Oh dear, I really feel sorry for the mums whose dds get through pointe shoes so quickly.  You must be forever sewing ribbons on!

I am halfway through sewing dd's GM ribbons - hard work!

If they're old enough to do pointe, they're old enough to learn basic sewing skills! You can't do it for her forever, can you imagine a pro ballerina sending her shoes home to her mother for sewing? The sooner they learn to do it themselves the better, plus it saves you the time and the stabbed fingers!

Best tip I can offer is not to cut the ribbon but to sew them in in one continuous length. That way, when being worn, the heel of the foot is helping to hold them in place and less pressure is on the stitching, but you probably already knew that. Did has a pair of suffolks atm which I ended up sewing ribbons in a couple of weeks ago. She normally does her own but we were under time constraints and I wanted her doing other things ( plus I quite enjoy the chance to help her - she's so Independant these days and I miss my little girl) I have to say, I found them much easier to sew than other brands she's had (Bloch, grishko and freed) they felt really well made and it was easy to stitch the ribbon into the lining without catching the satin ( very robust lining) I don't even know they are still manufactured tbh

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 3

Best tip I can offer is not to cut the ribbon but to sew them in in one continuous length. That way, when being worn, the heel of the foot is helping to hold them in place and less pressure is on the stitching, but you probably already knew that.

I only heard that two weeks ago ... Best tip ever!! :)

Are there any brand recomndations?

Your best bet is to make an appointment at a dancewear shop which stocks a range of makes and styles, so that she can have a full fitting. The shoes all fit differently, so each style will suit different people. As dancers progress in their training, they often find that they need to change the make of shoe from time to time.

• Like 2

Also she leaves the house at 7.30 am each morning getting home at 7.30pm. By the time she's done homework, had a shower & had a little time to relax it's time to get her stuff ready for the morning & get ready for bed.

So if me sewing her shoes gives her a bit of extra time in a very busy day them so be it.

That's fair enough, sounds like she's very busy! Sewing ribbons, elastics, darning the ends... It isn't exactly a quick job!