Associates for DD

Primaballerina1

Dd would do anything to have a job in later life related to dance in any way (especially ballet) and she tries to look for new things to do eg. Summer schools and master classes. I'm quite new to associates though!DD goes to her local dance school which is held in a church nearby - nothing too special!!- and her teacher hasn't suggested anything to her about associates but DD is really keen to do some. So we have signed up to RAD associates but she may not get a place!

Should DD do associates anyway/audition for some? Can she attend them if her teacher hasn't signed her up to them?

You should speak to her teacher and get permission out of respect for the hard work the teacher puts in. I think the RAD associates are not done by audition. There are many associates posts on here. I believe the next one she could audition for us London Junior Ballet so perhaps contact her teacher and ask her opinion if it would be something good for her. She may feel she is not ready this time around or may rather she wait for a different programme later in the school year. Most associate schemes require a dance teachers signature.

• Like 1

As balletqs says there are lots of threads about Associates. I have added the tag "Associates" to this thread so if you click on it, a list of other threads on the subject will come up.

Or you can search the Doing Dance forum for "Associates".

I think you said your daughter is 12 so if you are within reach of London/South East then Central School of Ballet, London Junior/Senior Ballet, Young Dancers Academy Associates and Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy are all very good.

It would be worth speaking to your dd's teacher about auditioning for Associate schemes.

We have just looked at the other associates you mentioned as we live in South East London and DD likes the sound of Tring.

Yes, it's a lovely scheme, and only every other Sunday so not as big a commitment as weekly schemes. Going on past experience there will be an audition in November for January start date.

We have only recently found out about Tring so I have quite a few!!

How many audition each year for how many spaces? What age do they start pointe classes? How much are fees each term? Is this standard high? Is it hard to get in to? What do they look for in a dancer? What age do they accept from? Is it better to audition in November or April(I think it's April)? What grade would they expect a 12 y/o girl to be? Is it good training? How long do classes go on for? How many students are in each class? Is it too late to apply for the November audition at the start of November(as if she gets into LCB then she will not be able to do it as it clashes)?

Edited by Primaballerina1

We would highly recommended Tring CBA, although there always seems to be less places available at the November audition, if you get a no in November do audition again in May. Auditions are a mix of ages, if I remember correctly my daughter was in an audition of 28 girls, aged from 11-13. Next group looked older and had less girls. X

Blimey Anna, what would we do without you?! Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 8