Opes summer school 2016

Primaballerina1

I think we should feel free to post our experiences and make this a balanced forum.

I totally agree, the posts haven't been offensive but have pointed out that some of the goings on meant it wasn't right for the posters dc. If we only read positive feedback about workshops and intensives it can be concerning when your own dd then doesn't enjoy the experience for whatever reason. Opes wasn't for my dd either, over the years she has had mixed experiences of summer schools but we accept that what suits some won't others.

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Millie3 has stated, she has fed back to the organisers and is giving her personal opinion of her dd's experience. As long as *highly* critical comments are not made anonymously then I do think it is very useful to hear both positive feedback of paid summer courses, as well as honest feedback about issues to be aware of. Then people can make informed and balanced decisions about whether a summer school will or will not suit their particular child.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

How do they select places? I can see the form asks for recent exam details but my exam results was much worse than others I've gotten and I'm a bit worried if I put that down I don't stand a particularly high chance, does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question about OPES - I've sent off an application form and cheque for DD for summer 2016. When do we hear back from them? I sent off the application early as we have limited dates in the summer and know this is a great summer school. Just worried that we may not find out whether DD has a place until too late to look elsewhere.

This is what they asked for last year

Uniform Requirements

Girls-

Leotards, Pink tights, Ballet Shoes, Pointe Shoes (only if you have started pointe with your present teacher). Please also bring a Ballet Practise Tutu if you have one. Any colour is appropriate. Black leotard to wear for the final performance as we would like everyone in uniform. Please bring socks this year for contemporary.

Boys-

Leotard, tights, unitard, socks, ballet shoes, bare feet optional for contemporary. Please bring a Black leotard/tights/Unitard for the final performance as we would like everyone in uniform.

• Like 1

Hi lilac

They are generally split into three groups with age ranges approx:

Juniors -little ones up to about age 10 -11 ish

Inters- about age 12-14 ish

Seniors-age 15+

There is normally movement within the groups too. They are very good at putting the kids who are on their own together and integrate everyone so they get to know other friendship groups too. If you email opesballet@gmail.com with any questions they are normally very quick at getting back to you.

Hope this helps!!

Xx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If my DD who is 17 and not at vocational school, do people think she would fit in comfortably to the senior group with graduates and vocational school students? It's good to be challenged but don't want her feeling completely out of her depth. Do they have groups within the broad categories? Thanks.

last summer when I did it there was a fair amount of non vocational students and students who were about to start vocational school.

I'm sure she would fit in and they are very understanding - I found the solo for the demonstration a bit out of my depth to learn that fast so asked to not do it and they were lovely and basically said everything's optional - it's supposed to be fun and gave me the option to do it on flat :)

hope that helps!

Edited by aballetlife
  • Like 1

Thanks ballet life that's good to know. She did NYB last year and found nearly everyone was at vocational school so,felt a bit behind. Luckily she had a room mate who wasn't so they teamed up! Can I ask, how much do you do that isn't ballet there? Thanks

• Like 1