Opes summer school 2016

Primaballerina1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What school year is your dd in Prima? The younger group (yr 7 & below) didn't do pointe. All of the inter group (yes 8-9) did though there was a girl who had only just gone on (there was differentiation)

In the seniors there was a girl in flats who did everything on Demi & it didn't matter a bit (lovely dancer)

It may be that by next year your dd will have gone on pointe by then anyway.

Dd had a fabulous time & made lots of friends. She has declared she wants to do it next year.

I'm not deflating her bubble as it may not be possible next year (we didn't have a main family holiday this year & dd & ds went without birthday & Xmas presents to pay for this & for a sports trip for ds).

The teaching was excellent. I had reservations about a few things & the classes were quite big. However socially I've never seen her so happy & integrated.

• Like 1

What school year is your dd in Prima? The younger group (yr 7 & below) didn't do pointe. All of the inter group (yes 8-9) did though there was a girl who had only just gone on (there was differentiation)

In the seniors there was a girl in flats who did everything on Demi & it didn't matter a bit (lovely dancer)

It may be that by next year your dd will have gone on pointe by then anyway.

That is a lovely comment about the girl on demi pointe PITF she is my friend's daughter who is recovering from major foot surgery!  So fab to see her back dancing she is a very beautiful dancer!!

• Like 4

Cannot praise OPES enough. My DD has been twice and was awarded the scholarship for next year. For those on here that know us, this is a huge deal as we have had a very hard year.

Teaching is second to none and DD has made long life friends. Would choose OPES over any other summer school with or without the scholarship!

• Like 5

Cannot praise OPES enough. My DD has been twice and was awarded the scholarship for next year. For those on here that know us, this is a huge deal as we have had a very hard year.

Teaching is second to none and DD has made long life friends. Would choose OPES over any other summer school with or without the scholarship!

Congratulations  - my daughter also had a good time and the show at the end was amazing.

Our little DD had a fabulous time at Opes and the weeks just flew by.  She did so much work in just one week and the end of the week performance was fabulous, exciting and also emotional! I think in particular they capture the beauty of each age range.

I think if you are lucky enough to come across an excellent summer school you then realise you won't go back to others!

I agree, I can't recommend OPES enough, my youngest DD will be old enough to attend next year so both girls can't wait. My eldest DD gets terribly homesick but she wouldn't miss it for the world, she has grown both emotionally as well as technically in her dancing.

So glad that everyone's DD enjoyed OPES. I went for two weeks this year and loved every minute of it. There seems to be a little balletco family that attend OPES at the moment haha. Glad everyone enjoyed the performance at the end x

My dd did a week at OPES last year but it wasn't a good experience for her. The standard was incredibly high, nothing wrong with that per se, but there did seem to be a lot of vocational or soon to be vocational students there and I think she was a bit intimidated. The girls in her dorm weren't particularly friendly either.

Sorry to put a dampener on a positive thread.

• Like 1

My dd did a week at OPES last year but it wasn't a good experience for her. The standard was incredibly high, nothing wrong with that per se, but there did seem to be a lot of vocational or soon to be vocational students there and I think she was a bit intimidated. The girls in her dorm weren't particularly friendly either.

Sorry to put a dampener on a positive thread.

My DD must have been there the same week :(  The behaviour of a small number of students was unacceptable and not dealt with appropriately by those who were supposedly house parents.  DD has attended loads of residentials over the years and this is the only one she said she would never do again..

That is a shame but I do sincerely believe and hope your children were in the minority.  My thoughts on this are below;

We have also attended several schools around the country over the years and many we would not attend again but I have written feedback to these schools as to why which I feel is far more constructive and helpful for the organisers so they can make the experience as successful as possible for all future students attending.  I believe Opes is a fairly new summer school and I'm sure they would still appreciate your feedback a year on. 

We have had a fabulous experience at Opes and I can't think of one student this year that isn't returning for one, two or three weeks next year!  However based on the knowledge all our children are very different there will be one or two children that the school did not suit for various reasons.  That is absolutely fine and I do hope they find a school that suits them better.

However....

How fabulous and progressive to have this facility in the UK which offers both a short and lengthy programme of classical training over the holiday periods.  Over the years many of us have commented on how behind some of us think our classical students are compared to the US etc. We must welcome and embrace young organisations like Opes (and others) venturing into quality summer school intensives in the UK so those children who have not been able to go away to vocational schools because of funding or other reasons can have the experience others are so lucky to have.

I come from a professional background and I welcome complaints as they provide an opportunity for an organisation to grow but they have to be done in the right manner in order for them to be constructive!  

Whilst this site has been and is still invaluable to us as a family and feedback has been very helpful in our dancing experiences I question whether comments of 'supposedly house parents' are appropriate to post. 

• Like 2

Pas de chat, I have to completely agree. The directors and owners of OPES would still welcome feedback even after a year.

I emailed straight after dd arrived home - you both assumed I hadn't.  It would not be acceptable to post on here without having done so!

I can't think of one student this year that isn't returning for one, two or three weeks next year!  

I agree - students vote with their feet - if they enjoy it they return, if not they find an alternative. 

However based on the knowledge all our children are very different there will be one or two children that the school did not suit for various reasons.  That is absolutely fine and I do hope they find a school that suits them better.

So, if your child was at a regular school and their life was being made "uncomfortable" by others.  Would you tell your child that the school: "did not suit them, let's find a school that suits you better"? 

Whilst this site has been and is still invaluable to us as a family and feedback has been very helpful in our dancing experiences I question whether comments of 'supposedly house parents' are appropriate to post. 

What word would you suggest then for a person who does not carry out their job to the standard expected? 

If my original comment is not appropriate then please can a moderator remove it?

The teaching at OPES was second to none - DD really enjoyed this.  I am not going into any more detail about the negative aspects :(

I wouldn't have commented if I had not read Lemongirl's post and saw that others had a similar experience.  I have been a member of this site and its predecessor for over 8 years - making many positive comments - I think we should feel free to post our experiences and make this a balanced forum. 

• Like 10

I didn't know we were allowed to video.

My dd had a great time & thought the teaching was excellent. However there were issues that cropped up that had we not been forewarned could have impacted on the overall experience.

She wants to go next year as she feels that she didn't let it bother her. As a parent on reflection I'm not so sure.