Elmhurst summer school

Dreamy11

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked my dd who did it last year. She remembers that it was daily ballet, repertoire (they did the Nutcracker) and jazz dance with a small amount of singing and a flamenco lesson. Also BRB dancers came to perform for them one evening. The food was great, the staff very nice and the other children very friendly (she did not know anyone when she arrived). Her only criticism was that it was too short at 3 days.

I think they generally get up about 7ish and go to breakfast at 7.30. My dd needs at least 30 minutes for breakfast as she eats rather a lot. Class started around 9. If your d is worried about anything (like hair) I would encourage her to talk to the house mothers as they are there to help. I think the classes were over by about 4.30 pm each day certainly its not too strenuous.

Oh I do sympathise. My dd has very thick waist length hair and can look like she is sporting a donut (?? bun thing) even though it is 'all her own'. As long as hair is secure I'm no one will mind if it gets a bit wispy as the day goes on. The thing that Elmhurst don't like is aerosols of any kind, so hair gel is the way to go.

Dd pretty much remembers what mnemo said though she wasnt sure on timings. She got up around 8am she thought & class started around 9am. There was a daily ballet class plus classes in other dance genres around 4-5 classes per day.

In the evenings as well as the visit from BRB they hD other activities such as a Movie Night. Plus some free time to themselves.

Again she felt that 3 days wasn't enough.

Hello people. DS and I are traveling to Birmingham today ready for summer school. It is too far to return home so i will be killing days in Birmingham. Just wondering if any one else is in the same Bobby No Mate situation, and likes wine, shops and long lunches with more wine. Happy to meet some Balletco Mums.

• Like 1

Difficult to pin it down balletqueen

She said last year was more challenging & she felt she learnt more.

She enjoyed the first day, the teacher who took class gave "tons" of corrections but there were different teachers the next two days for class. Maybe it was a case of not being able to get to know them & for there to be progression especially in only 3 days. I'm Not sure really.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Anyones DC applied for Junior summer course this year?  DD went last year for first time knowing no-one and loved it!  I know that its become much more difficult to get offered a place so we have fingers crossed for a place this year. .......I think we should hear soon as last year we were informed a couple of weeks after the closing date last year if I remember correctly but am just curious in case anyone else has a 'yes' and we not heard so could be a 'no'.  A waiting list place would be difficult to cope with too from reading on this marvellous forum and I know plenty of people were sitting on the list last year.  All very stressful isn't it.