The Gala, Newport, Isle of Wight

At the end of June, toursenlair posted about a ballet gala for a charitable cause on the Isle of Wight on 1st and 2nd August http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10040-isle-of-wight-ballet-gala-august-1-and-2/. I had been thinking of spending a weekend on the Isle of Wight for some time so the ballet gala was the incentive to transform thoughts into action.

Robert Robinson, born on the Isle of Wight and a dancer with Stuttgart Ballet, brought together dancers from Northern Ballet, The Royal Ballet, Hamburg Ballet, Staatsballet Berlin and Stuttgart Ballet in support of a hospice on the Isle of Wight.

After a film about last year’s gala, the dancing started with “Spring and Fall” by John Neumeier, followed by the most classical choreography of the evening, a solo from “Le Corsaire”. “La Llorona”, a piece by Marcelino Sambé came next, including trademark colourful shirt respectively dress for the two dancers and the dancers having an episode of quarrelling. The next piece “Zamia” was, costume-wise, most intriguing as it involved harem pants that were so elastic that the two dancers could pull them over their heads, which made for interesting movements. “Ballet 101” by Eric Gauthier concluded the first part of the programme and received lots of cheers.

The second part of the evening started with another choreography by John Neumeier, “Noctunes”, a ballet about a couple where the man is longing for attention and affection by the woman and yet she is not willing to give this to him. The next piece, “This could get ugly”, showed the development of a relationship between two men, albeit with a more positive outcome. Next in line was “The Boy”, a solo which reminded me of a 17th century court dancer practising movements in front a ballet barre. It was back to couples with an excellent performance of “Little Monsters”. Another solo, “The Jealousy Theory”, left a very strong impression, danced to the final speech of Charlie Chaplin’s “The Great Dictator”. A fast duet called” Speedi” concluded the programme.

I wish there would have been fewer empty seats in the auditorium tonight, and I hope that the success tonight will help sell more seats in years to come.

If you are anywhere near the Isle of Wight on Sunday 2nd August, tickets for the matinee performance at 2.30 pm are still available, they are for a charitable cause and come at a fraction of the price of a ticket for a similar two-hour programme in London. The Medina Theatre in Newport is very close to local bus stops, and there are regular busses to the ferry ports back to the mainland.

- edited to state the name of the theatre

Edited by Duck
  • Like 5

There were a few last-minute changes to the printed programme so I hope the following is the full list of participants. Apologies to the dancers if I missed anyone

• Northern Ballet - Dreda Blow and Joseph Taylor. They danced "Little Monsters" by Demis Volpi
  • The Royal Ballet - Maria Barroso. She performed with Louis Stiens in "La Llorona" by Marcelino Sambé
  • Hamburg Ballet - Kristina Barbelyova, Marcelino Libao, Dales Rhodes, Eliot Worrell. A combination of them danced in the two choreographies by John Neumeier, "This could get ugly" by Robbie Bird, "Zamia" by Edvin Revazov and "The Jealousy Theory" by Eliot Worrel
  • Staatsballet Berlin - Caroline Bird. She performed with Eliot Worrell in "Zamia"
  • Stuttgart Ballet - Robert Robinson, Louis Stiens. Robert Robinson danced "Ballet 101" and the solo from "Le Corsaire", Louis Stiens danced "The Boy" (his own choreography), "La Llorona" with Mario Barroso and "Speedi" with Robert Robinson (again Louis Stiens' own choreography)

On a different note, I wondered last night whether "Noctunes" (as written in the programme) would really be "Noctunes" or rather "Nocturnes". From checking on the web this morning, it seems to be Nocturnes.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info - went down to see it today. (Hovercraft as well!) Very well done - really enjoyed it all. Northern Ballet substitutes were excellent. So glad I went.

I am glad you liked it, and I hope that there weren't too many empty seats on Sunday.