Shank of pointe shoe causing heel pain?

swanprincess

Sorry if this is a bizarre question, but am I the only one who finds it strange that the shank of the pointe shoe doesn't go right to the heel of the shoe? I find that the end of the shank digs into my heel, which is bearable for a short class, but makes my heels ache in long rehearsals etc! Has anyone had any success with filing the shank down to make it smoother? I've tried putting a tiny bit of lambswool beneath my heels, but that then causes the back of the shoe to slip off my foot... Does anyone else have this problem, or do I just have particularly sensitive feet?!

My DD finds this if she wears shoes that have a 3/4 shank or slightly shorter shank than she likes. Grishko Dreampointes for example have a shorter shank than 2007's. She now wears Freeds so doesn't have an issue.

Also she used to find it happened when she had really grown out of the shoe. Doesn't happen now as her feet have stopped growing.

It sounds to me me as though you need to try a different style shoe and make sure it has a full shank or perhaps you need half a size longer?

I used to have this problem in my Bloch and Suffolk pointe shoes but never had any issues with my Freeds. I think it was a combination of slightly thicker shanks and a shoe that was a bit too short. 

I haven't ever tried filing the ends down but from attempting to deshank my old shoes to use a soft blocks I can say it's more difficult than it looks! If you want to try have a go on an old pair first because I made a right mess of mine just trying to find the end of the shank!