Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Sim said:

So....of the Big Four, only Feddy is left standing.  I so hope he goes on to win it.  

I so hope he doesn't.  Although he is a wonderful tennis player, I find him unbelievably smug. 

As far as the ladies are concerned, I hope someone new wins it.

For once I'm envious - it sounds as though it should be a really good match.  My suspicion is that Williams will win it, although if Muguruza does there'll be a bonus for me :)

Is this just the standard 9 AM the day before ticket sale, BBB?  I didn't think it would apply to the finals.

And my money's on Cilic for the men's.

Huge congratulations to both Garbine Muguruza and Roger Federer, not simply because they are the Champions but because their tennis throughout the Wimbledon fortnight has been such a joy to watch.

Feeling bewildered about what happened to Cilic but so sorry for him, especially if the occasion and his frustration at being unable to give of his best overwhelmed him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Huge congratulations to both Garbine Muguruza and Roger Federer, not simply because they are the Champions but because their tennis throughout the Wimbledon fortnight has been such a joy to watch.

Feeling bewildered about what happened to Cilic but so sorry for him, especially if the occasion and his frustration at being unable to give of his best overwhelmed him.

Two deeply disappointing finals.  The first one was two sets, with a bagel in the second set.

The second one was a limp 3 setter, lasting less than 2 hours.  Cilic has played so well throughout the fortnight, so it was very sad to see him struggle so much.  I would be surprised if it was the occasion.  He is a grand slam winner, and very experienced. 

• Like 3

On 14/07/2017 at 23:17, alison said:

For once I'm envious - it sounds as though it should be a really good match.  My suspicion is that Williams will win it, although if Muguruza does there'll be a bonus for me :)

Is this just the standard 9 AM the day before ticket sale, BBB?  I didn't think it would apply to the finals.

And my money's on Cilic for the men's.

I hardly ever bet, but if I do alison, I'll just have a wager on the other guy.;)

Good job I don't bet, isn't it?!  Although I couldn't have known he had a blister, of course.  A rather downbeat end (both singles finals - well, actually everything but the men's doubles) to a tournament which didn't really quite seem to catch light, somehow.  But still an 8th title is an incredible achievement for Federer.

He is always very humble when he wins.  But if he loses, it is never because the other person played better than he did!

Anyway, we all have our favourites, in the tennis world as well as the ballet world.  I can admire Federer's grace and style, I simply prefer other players.  I don't care much for Djokovic either, because of his on court antics.  Perfectly legal, the other players shouldn't let it get to them, but it just annoys me every time he does it.  A player of his talent shouldn't have to resort to that sort of gamesmanship.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I feel I must say kudos to Sloane Stephens: out of the game for 11 months due to a foot injury, world ranking dropped well into the 900s as late as July, plays and does well in two tournaments prior to the US Open, then goes and wins the whole thing, and up to about no. 17 in the world.  Just shows you should never give up.

Unfortunately, the men's tournament has been an absolute joke from beginning to end, so I think I'll draw a veil over that one.

• Like 1

I think the US Open has been the most peculiar one I have seen in a long time for both the men and the women.  We are used to the female seeds dropping like flies in the early rounds, so I shouldn't be surprised.  But given that Serena Williams is out of the competition, this was a real chance for some of the other top 10 seeds to grasp the opportunity.  Instead, it was the lower ranked players who came through, and well done Sloane.  

As for the men, again, good for Anderson for making his first final, even if the bottom half of the draw was rather lacking in quality players.  The two bright spots were the fact that Del Potro is playing at a good level again.  I've always liked him, and thought it was so sad that he has had to cope with all those injuries.  He should have had at least 3 grand slams under his belt by now, if not more.  And of course, wonderful to see Rafa having a good year, after the mediocre ones he has had for the past 3 years.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This really is appalling. :o  What were the organisers thinking?  Getting male tennis players to pick a girl, who has the letter of their group hidden somewhere on their body?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41883462

Do you think they would suggest the same thing for young female tennis players?  Would they get a male model to remove his shirt, or unzip his trousers to reveal which group they are playing in?  

Possibly the "current climate" is not so much to the forefront in Italy as it is here (and in the US)?

Major congratulations to Filip Krajinovic (I hope I've spelled that correctly) for working his way to the final of a Masters 1000 tournament from such a lowly position (I think he was somewhere below 75th in the world - and he had been in the 200s, I think).  He did beat the 9th and 10th seeds on the way, I see.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Greatly saddened to hear of the death yesterday, at the age of only 49, of Jana Novotna, from cancer.  Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Champion of 1998, runner-up on two previous occasions, and winner or runner-up on numerous occasions in the doubles there, she is probably still best known, in the UK at least, for breaking down in tears on the shoulder of the Duchess of Kent after failing to win the Singles title on her first attempt.  Always a lovely player to watch, and by all accounts a lovely person to boot :(

• Like 2

I remember it very well. Apparently the Duchess of Kent has said on Twitter how sad she is about Jana’s death and I am too. She was barely middle aged. RIP and my condolences to her family and friends.

Edited by Fiz
Missing words
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this on the BBC, and it made me laugh.  It is a good thing Andy Murray is standing next to it, or I would never have guessed.  

Some people have suggested it looks like Jose Mourinho, but my first thought was Anthony Dowell!

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/andy-murray-of-great-britain-poses-for-photographers-at-the-unvieling-picture-id129031254

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

According to the BBC, it was used to promote the Shanghai Masters 2011.  I can't find any other statues from that tournament, but here are some from another one in Shanghai.  I think those are a bit more recognisable.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vi6FBd9cLtQ/TWn1h6Xp8SI/AAAAAAAAAss/zd74hACLoNA/s1600/federer-nadal-djokovic-statues.jpg

Edited to add I've just noticed the picture has Madrid on it.  Not sure why they are depicted in that get up for a Spanish tournament.

Edited by Fonty

• 1 month later...

Well, if anyone had told me at the beginning of the Australian Open that we'd have a Brit in the semifinals with Andy Murray absent, I'd have assumed they meant Johanna Konta, but instead it's Kyle Edmund.  I know the draw's fallen apart something shocking, but he's beaten everyone they've put in front of him, including 2 high-ranking seeds - one of whom the world No. 3 - so has clearly deserved it, and many congratulations to him.  Now to see whether he can get past Marin Cilic as well.  I'd have thought not, but the way the tournament has been so far, who can tell what will happen?

Big commiserations to the Nadal fans here, too - that was a horrible way to have to lose.  I hope he'll recover soon.

• Like 2

It is usually the female seeds who tumble right, left and centre in the Grand Slams.  Very unusual to see it happen to the men.

Well done, Kyle.  I agree that Cilic is a big ask, but then I thought Dimitrov might prove a step too far.  

And fingers very firmly crossed that Nadal recovers in time for the clay court season.

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

It is usually the female seeds who tumble right, left and centre in the Grand Slams.  Very unusual to see it happen to the men.

Yes.  Although that's odd, when you think about it.  After all, the women are playing normally, except with a day off in between matches for once.  It's the men who suddenly have to go from best-of-3 sets to best-of-5, so it would be understandable if some of them struggled.  But I suppose that with the number of injuries in the second half of last year, and many of them not having fully recovered, like Wawrinka and Djokovic, a certain amount of wastage was to be expected.  Not to mention that it's right at the beginning of the season, and some players may be slow starters/not have got their brains properly into gear.

• Like 1

I was rather disappointed with the men's final, actually.  Yes, it went to 5 sets, but I don't know what happened to Cilic in the final set.  I didn't feel it was Federer's brilliance that won the match.  I felt that Cilic just seemed to fade away.

Compare and contrast with the ladies yesterday.  Those girls played their guts out, and fought to the last shot.  That was an absolutely terrific final, and I was just sorry that someone had to lose.

I was also extremely annoyed that the roof was closed for the men's final. Apart from the fact that it definitely favours Federer, who is a wonderful indoor player, I was cross that the men got to play in relative comfort, while the ladies yesterday were obviously suffering.  They were bent double, gasping for breath between points.  I refuse to believe it was that much worse today than it was yesterday.  

• Like 3