World Ballet Day Live - 1 October 2015 confirmed

Dear Ballet fans, 

Royal opera house have confirmed on Twitter that the World Ballet Day 2015 will happen again this year in 1 October. Canadian National Ballet have also confirmed they will take part, but all other details are TBC.

I obviously would love Zürich to take part this year to show our stars, but doubt it will take place here due to the lack of any rumours, also, the CET timezone would I imagine have many companies  that could entertain the world between (potentially) Bolshoi and ROH, Paris, La Scala for examples too.

I liked seeing Carlos Acosta showing his version of Don Quixote in rehearsals and all of the different classes throughout the day. I think I would have liked to have seen more individual flair in the rehearsals for fun, or maybe Guests from other companies to appear in the class - though I loved the event.

How do most on the forum feel about the day? Did you watch it? Enjoy it? Or learn anything? What would you like to be different this year? Particularly any companies you would like to see?

• Like 6

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, SBF - I knew there was something else from the Period 1 brochure I meant to post about, and that was it.  Here was the information about last year's version: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7755-world-ballet-day-october-1-2014/, and here is our discussion of it: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7937-world-ballet-day-live-today-folks/#entry105438

Thanks very much for putting in the tags, too!  By clicking on the WBD tag at the top of this posting you can then bring up any other threads tagged with "World Ballet Day", which is mighty helpful.

• Like 1

Last World Ballet Day, the main contribution from the Royal Ballet was the complete live broadcast of morning class in the Clore Studio, as they did when they streamed Royal Ballet Live or whatever it was called a couple of years earlier.

I note that October 1st 2015 is a two-show day for the RB (Romeo & Juliet - Cuthbertson/Pennefather in the afternoon and Osipova/Muntagirov in the evening) which makes for one busy day, especially for the corps.  Will it just be morning class again, I wonder, or will they somehow find time/space/available personnel to show some other aspect of the company's work? R&J from a backstage perspective would be really interesting to see.  Though it's a moot point from my point of view, as I've got a ticket for that matinee...

Where can one find anything about this on the web?

It has been confirmed on Twitter by ROH Twitter feed to Viktorina Kapitonova, also National Ballet have released the detail of World Ballet Day in their schedule for next season. There is nothing on the ROH website yet, as things are still TBC it seems.

Will it just be morning class again, I wonder, or will they somehow find time/space/available personnel to show some other aspect of the company's work? R&J from a backstage perspective would be really interesting to see. 

Of course, the live feed from the RB was great last year but I felt that we spent too long in class and that the rehearsals were not as 'viewable' as those from some of the other companies because (and Don Q with Acosta and Muntagirov was the prime example) dancers were still learning the steps. I suspect that the timing of the day will not chime conveniently with the matinee of R&J but maybe we shall see couples rehearsing who are not dancing that day - such as Naghdi/Ball who are due to debut two days later (says me hopefully :) ).

Edited in order to agree with Sim that all the presenters for the RB segment need to have some ballet knowledge next time around.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

I, too, enjoyed last year's World Ballet Day (WBD) onslaught ... but do you think I am being entirely churlish for secretly wishing that the selection of companies might have been entirely different in this its second year?  What, say, the Mariinsky, NYCB, the Mikhailovsky, the Stanislavsky, BRB/ENB or Northern, Boston Ballet, POB, Miami City, K Ballet, Chinese National Ballet, Stuttgart, Zurich (as mentioned), Hamburg, Royal Danish Ballet, Dutch National, Polish or Lithuanian National Ballets (the latter where George Williamson is to have his first original full length ballet premiere in November), Georgian Ballet, Ballet de Santiago, Ukranian National Ballet, Suzanne Farrell Ballet ... or any of copious others had a peek inside.  Surely they deserve exposure too  It would, of course, be nice to revisit the original core (Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, RB, NBoC and SFB) at some future point ... but my only fear is that WBD might become an annual event for those first five companies which would, again, leave so many others out in the proverbial cold and a hungry audience with an exposure more restricted than it otherwise might/ought-to be. 

What do others on BcoF think?    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

I don't think that you are being churlish BW. While I would love to see the RB (and others on last year's roster) again, I also think that the Antipodean, Russian, European and American companies featured should rotate.

But wasn't the initiative one born of discussion among last year's 5 participants?

But wasn't the initiative one born of discussion among last year's 5 participants?

If so, how wonderful if their generosity could help further illuminate and broaden our collective sense of 'World Ballet' on that particular Day.  My esteem in their (i.e., those original five companies) regard would certainly be adorned in such an event.  They would well and truly receive my proverbial 'brownie points' - and I can only feel but that WBD would - in the largess of those specific original five companies' instance - further strengthen their own audiences' respect and understanding for the repertories each are presenting within their native bases.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

If so, how wonderful if their generosity could help further illuminate and broaden our collective sense of 'World Ballet' on that particular Day.  My esteem in their (i.e., those original five companies) regard would certainly be adorned in such an event.  They would well and truly receive my proverbial 'brownie points' - and I can only feel but that WBD would - in the largess of those specific original five companies' instance - further strengthen their own audiences' respect and understanding for the repertories each are presenting within their native bases.  

Bruce. you're seriously not suggesting that those 5 companies would pay the $30,000 (the amount of SFB's crowdfunder to pay for last year's event) this thing apparently costs them so that some OTHER company could be livestreamed, in return for which a grateful audience would provide "brownie points" for the sponsoring (but invisible) company? That's touching.

• Like 5

A pity it clashes with two RB performances of R&J.

only if you're going to those shows of course. For those not, could be interesting to see the build up to a performance with a bigger/better backstage/in rehearsal room type perspective, after morning class.

• Like 3

Bruce. you're seriously not suggesting that those 5 companies would pay the $30,000 (the amount of SFB's crowdfunder to pay for last year's event) this thing apparently costs them so that some OTHER company could be livestreamed, in return for which a grateful audience would provide "brownie points" for the sponsoring (but invisible) company? That's touching.

No, no, Katherine ... Of course not.  That would be beyond anyone's call.  Just that an invitation would provide some of the other companies with an opportunity to reach out to their own various funding bodies for that support, Crowdfunder et al.  That's what I think I meant by largess; i.e., merely an opportunity to be part of the WBD access in and of itself.  (Does that make any sense?)  

Perhaps if the World Ballet Day was a bi-annual event (wasn't that originally muted?) then there could be more forward planning, fiscally and otherwise.  Even for some of the original five major companies the line items must surely be stretched.  I assume any organisation is at liberty to turn down any specific invitation to take part.  

If WBD really establishes itself in the longer run perhaps there will be an international trust formed to help offer support for the livestreaming overall.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I think most other companies could raise the $30,000 in the same way as SFB from Kickstarter. The one surprising aspect of the whole performance was the omission of any of the corporate sponsors in the background or in any of the coverage. I know that this would make a huge difference and make finances a non-issue without having a major effect on what is being shown.

I was also surprised by the $30,000 fee, I wonder what the break-down of costs would be. Maybe just using the periscope app would work...the production quality with an iPhone 6 wouldn't be so different to what we saw last year :)

you know what, corporate sponsors are actually very difficult to drum up for things. The companies are already going after them to sponsor other things (performances etc). Maybe this year, with numbers from last year's viewing, it will be easier, I mean less difficult, to get sponsors on board for WBD, but then maybe the Royal Bank of Canada doesn't care how many people in Moscow and Australia are watching the NBOC.

• Like 1

you know what, corporate sponsors are actually very difficult to drum up for things. The companies are already going after them to sponsor other things (performances etc). Maybe this year, with numbers from last year's viewing, it will be easier, I mean less difficult, to get sponsors on board for WBD, but then maybe the Royal Bank of Canada doesn't care how many people in Moscow and Australia are watching the NBOC.

I can understand exactly what you mean for some sponsors. I guess here the Swiss banks UBS and Credit Suisse would very much like people all around the world to see and bring their money here. But that is a whole different story :)

I agree with you though that the success of last years event will help any money raising or projects this year. It may also mean that all of the companies last year also want to repeat their slot and therefore not have any new companies inviting us behind their doors this year.

The RBC should care.....they are a global company and this would be a good chance to reinforce that, especially in places like Moscow and Australia where there is money and corporate deals to be had! 

• Like 2

Bruce - do you really mean twice a year, bi-annual?  Or do you mean every other year, biennial.  There seems to be a lot of confusion between these words.  Lots of school I know say on their website that they do bi-annual performances when I know they actually do them every other year and should write biennial.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it does help if language is clear!

Bruce - do you really mean twice a year, bi-annual?  Or do you mean every other year, biennial.  There seems to be a lot of confusion between these words.  Lots of school I know say on their website that they do bi-annual performances when I know they actually do them every other year and should write biennial.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it does help if language is clear!

Yes, you are right, Pas de Quatre.  I meant every other year ... Thanks so very much for your kind correction.  I am - as always - appreciative.

As a devoted dyslexic I am all too good at living in a state of confusion.  Turing things around is the natural state of my affairs.  I am, I think, becoming used to it in my old age..  I sincerely hope it can - at times - at least raise a smile for others.  I've learned - from a purely personal perspective - that it is the only way to survive.  I do - although I'm not always good at it - try NOT to take things TOO seriously.  That's not to say I don't want to; only that health and safety dictates suggest that you shouldn't ... or so I'm told.  

I agree your stated aim in terms of language.  Language is a wonderful thing.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Thanks Bruce for such a gracious reply!  Ballet is my life, but unfortunately running a ballet school means I spend a lot of time drafting information sheets about term dates, exams, shows, costumes, summer schools, auditions etc. etc.  By bitter experience I have found that if there is the slightest chance of something being misunderstood, then someone will misunderstand it - the balletic equivalent of Murphy's Law!  (Sorry a bit off topic).

• Like 2

What I would really love this year is to know in advance which of the activities will be available online after the live event and for how long. I recall lots of confusion about this last year and know several other people who could not take a day off work but might have allocated their available time differently if they had known what they could easily watch afterwards.

• Like 4

What I would really love this year is to know in advance which of the activities will be available online after the live event and for how long. I recall lots of confusion about this last year and know several other people who could not take a day off work but might have allocated their available time differently if they had known what they could easily watch afterwards.

This is such a good idea, Yaffa. Why don't you write to Kevin O'Hare suggesting it?

• Like 1

Yes, you are right, Pas de Quatre.  I meant every other year ... Thanks so very much for your kind correction.  I am - as always - appreciative.

As a devoted dyslexic I am all too good at living in a state of confusion.  Turing things around is the natural state of my affairs.  I am, I think, becoming used to it in my old age..  I sincerely hope it can - at times - at least raise a smile for others.  I've learned - from a purely personal perspective - that it is the only way to survive.  I do - although I'm not always good at it - try NOT to take things TOO seriously.  That's not to say I don't want to; only that health and safety dictates suggest that you shouldn't ... or so I'm told.  

I agree your stated aim in terms of language.  Language is a wonderful thing.   

You are a great man Bruce :) I do not mean to poke fun, but I just love the phrase 'Turing things around is my natural state' After watching the Imitation Game, I can only imagine what this means :) A genius at work.

• Like 2

The RBC should care.....they are a global company and this would be a good chance to reinforce that, especially in places like Moscow and Australia where there is money and corporate deals to be had! 

I was just using RBC as an example of a Canadian business. If I had said "Tim Hortons" none of you would have understood what I was talking about.. RBC already sponsors the NBOC's Apprentice program, so that's where their money is going.

I was just using RBC as an example of a Canadian business. If I had said "Tim Hortons" none of you would have understood what I was talking about.. RBC already sponsors the NBOC's Apprentice program, so that's where their money is going.

I would have, Katherine ... and I suspect coffee is a fairly universal language, no?  

also I believe sponsors may not take too kindly to being told what they "should" care about.

In my experience you usually have to fall into their 'project' dictates/guidelines.  I suspect that in the UK in any case situations are going to get even tighter for a few more years before they loosen again.  

Oh, and while completely off topic, just wanted to say thanks so for that insightful review you wrote on BA comparing the recent performances of Sleeping Beauty by NBoC (Nureyev) and ABT (Ratmansky).  T'was wonderful. 

Edited by Bruce Wall