World Ballet Day Live - 1 October 2015 confirmed

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

surely it can't hurt them to watch the National Ballet of Canada or San Francisco Ballet????

all of these feeds are in the morning and midday of the time zone of the local ballet companies, because, umm, that's when  they have class and rehearsals.

I have only just returned to read this thread today. The point I was originally making was simply that the timing of the live feeds is a little inconvenient for those with busy working lives, and also that it would be nice for ballet students if it had coincided with school holidays. If my comments on this thread are only going to be met with patronising sarcasm then I shan't bother posting any longer.

T4B:  Hang about!  There's no sarcasm whatsoever in that response.  The reality of this event is that it will run over 24 hours, starting in Australia in just 4 hours time, and it will run on into early Friday UK time - and the participating companies will naturally be shown within their normal working days.  And in the UK, I rather fear that the participating companies' Summer breaks will have coincided very much with school holidays.  But you're right, the timing of a day-long event will inevitably be inconvenient for those at work during part of it.  I never enjoyed flying from Japan to California for some 11 hours overnight and landing the day before I left.

• Like 5

Well, it's just a fact that we aren't all interested in the same thing, and for some of us it really isn't as interesting to watch NBoC or SFB as to watch our home company. For others, it is. So while it can't hurt to watch other companies, hopefully we're going for a more pleasant experience than "can't hurt." I guess there's always going to be a degree of mutual incomprehension between the two groups; I remember running into much the same argument a while back when saying I'd rather watch RB performing Alice in Wonderland on DVD than NBoC performing it live.

Edited by Melody

I think it is a great opportunity to see companies we don't know so much.

We should be more broad-minded, not just to see their home companies and the super stars, and open our eyes to new findings. 

I think we should be as broad-minded as we want to be. :)

It isn't xenophobic to be disappointed that you can't watch your home team playing live because you are at work (which is where I am now) :(

know what you mean - at 11am I'll be studiously watching a laptop being encrypted. That it has a browser window open on ballet day is a pure coicidence, honest!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some great news at:

http://www.scottishballet.co.uk/what-s-on/world-ballet-day-2015.html

This year the content for all companies will be shown on a newly launched website: www.worldballetday.com and will be hosted on BBC Arts Online for 30 days after Thursday 1 October

For anyone else who has a dreadful sense of time and thinks there's ages left - there's just another week....

• Like 1