Foot cramp

swanprincess

Since being in NYC, I've found that my feet cramp up in class a lot- even in something as simple as tendu at the barre, the arch of my foot will cramp- it's hard to dance well when my feet are in so much pain, it's not been a problem previously; what can i do to get rid of the cramp?

• Like 1

Make sure you are properly hydrated. I used to use quinine for leg cramps but it was prescribed by a doctor. It works brilliantly but I don't know if it is available off prescription. I believe magnesium tablets can help too. Good luck!

• Like 2

I'm sure it's just the flight etc or slight change in diet......but when in UK is there a) something you did before class that you haven't been doing in NYC? and/or ......the class is very different in format to your one in UK.....eg some schools (Russians etc) do LOADS of tendus so perhaps you are overworking the legs fairly early on at the barre.

Hope it resolves soon.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

If you can't get diorolyte or similar to rebalance your salts there are some recipes in Nutrition for the Dancer by Zerlina Mastin for hypotonic and isotonic drinks that will help and will be healthier than shop bought sports drinks.

Just done a quick Google search and there are recipes online - BBC sport has same recipe but can't post links! Just measure the salt carefully, don't be tempted to put in extra.

muscle cramping is commonly caused by dehydration and by exercising in heat. Long flights can definitely be a contributor especially if any alcohol is consumed :) and NYC is pretty hot and humid in summer. Drinking lots of water (2 litres/day) and stretching out well after exercise should help. And if it doesn't improve I would tell a member of staff.

I used to get foot cramps if I was nervous (exams were a nightmare!) or with tight shoes. Have you changed your ballet shoes? Although cramp is often related to electrolyte balance so don't just drink water, make sure that you are getting enough electrolytes (sodium, potassium etc) - gatorade is your best bet.

• Like 1

I agree with DrDance don't drink just water you need salts too. Yes Gatorade is a drink that contains salts too off the shelf but I bet they have lots of these types of drinks in the US. I had a friend that collapsed after drinking just water in a very hot, humid environment (don't worry she drank a lot!) but if you are sweating a lot you are losing more than just water and these need to be replaced too.