EYB 2016 season

Pups_mum

First dates are on the website!!

So far, its Preston in March, audition November 3rd, ballet Giselle, and Torquay in April, audition November24th, ballet Coppelia. Hopefully the rest will follow soon.

DD is keen to audition for Preston as she hasn't done Giselle before, but we will defer a decision til the whole list is out.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would give everyone the heads up that the rest of thec2016 dates are now on the EYB website. Another rather disappointing year for the north I'm afraid, but I hope there are plenty of opportunities for forum members in the midlands and south.

Best of luck to all who are planning to audition.

DD is old enough to audition for Nutcracker in Sevenoaks but no date yet. Would be amazing if she got in but she is still very young (8) and hasn't had that much performance experience but the audition alone will be a great experience. Do parents watch the entire audition? That will be an eye opener!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both of my ds's are auditioning for EYB this year. It will be my younger ones first ever audition for anything - any hints or tips? He is only 8 and grade 2 so worried it may be a little hard! Can anyone give any info on what the audition involves? Thanks.

My advice? Smile, point your toes, stand tall and try your best. The auditions are usually done on stage with parents watching from the back/balcony/dress circle. Everyone wears a number and the lines on stage rotate so that everyone gets to be at the front. Travelling steps are done in small groups. All steps are demonstrated by a teacher who is onstage with the children. Miss Lewis and the panel watch from the stalls.

Because there are usually far fewer boys than girls, statistically boys have a very good chance of being selected. But the main thing is to try every step, even if it's new, smile, and try to enjoy the experience. :-)

• Like 1

Both of my ds's are auditioning for EYB this year. It will be my younger ones first ever audition for anything - any hints or tips? He is only 8 and grade 2 so worried it may be a little hard! Can anyone give any info on what the audition involves? Thanks.

Thewinelake is right about it being easier for boys. They choreograph the pieces around the boys' abilities and I think grade 2 will be fine. It's more about being quick to pick things up as the audition involves being shown short enchainements - series of steps - and having to dance them in rows: they are all lined up in rows and shown it as a group and then asked to perform it, then the front row is sent to the back and the second row moves forward and they do it again, then that row is moved to the back and the next comes forward and they will be shown another, and so on. Thus all the rows will have their turn at being at the front. There may be some steps he isn't familiar with but he should just smile and do his best with them and carry on with the whole enchainement. Hope that makes sense. Good Luck

My DS is also aged 8 and auditioned for the first time at Preston. He is only grade one and fairly new to ballet so he wasn't familiar with all the steps but managed to copy and keep up. I would say use your arms and perform, steps can be taught but performance isn't as easy to teach. I did make a rough list of what he was asked to do, not sure of the spellings but here goes:

glisse

plié

full plié

chasse into lower arabesque

battement

sauté/changement

eshappe

relevet/turn

hope that helps but would also add my DS enjoyed the whole experience, it was just me that was a nervous wreck! ????

• 4 months later...

If any of you are auditioning for this production would you mind letting me know when the rehearsal dates are. We have asked for an application pack but it hasn't arrived yet. Many thanks.

Edited by meggy13

Hi meggy13 ...... They have their own website which says its Monday 25th April at the concert hall. 4.30-6.15pm juniors and 6.45-8.30pm seniors. My DS performed with them 2yrs ago. Hope that helps :)

Sorry just re read your post & you were asking about rehearsal dates ..... They didn't confirm those with us last time until we'd signed a contract. I'm sure they would be helpful if you requested more information by email.

Edited by Ballet4Boyz

From memory, the DC auditioning were told at the audition whether they had been successful or not. We were then sent packs with all the info and rehearsal dates etc including an agreement to sign. This was 2 yrs ago - so things may have changed. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm sure they will have rehearsal dates all sorted - so should be able to tell you .